What is the most effective thing you've done to better your SNG play?

mrdeedreid

mrdeedreid

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm fairly new to SNG's.

I want to know what people are doing to get better and what they perceive to have really worked for them.

Don't post a link to an article that you read. I want to hear it straight from you!

It'd be really great to hear from the mid - higher stakes players who have moved up from the lower limit micro - low stakes SNGs.

Can't wait to hear everyone's thoughts.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Doubt there's any mid-higher stakes SNG players currently active on this site.

Don't think it's going to be any breakthrough info. aside from your typical stuff
- learn how to review your games
- find others to review with
- post HH for analysis (& read other's)
- study shove/fold/ call ranges (& adjustments vs. regs.)
- watch some training vids.
- rail a few of the better regs. (ghost/sweat if possible)

for newer folks, add in:
- learn ICM
- read the SNG books (Moshmann &/or Shaw)

JustDestined

JustDestined

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Having others review my hand history's helps me a lot. Sometimes you only see things one way, and when someone else looks it over they present you with a completely different thought approach.

DonV73

DonV73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Def. watching some training vids and then practice, practice, practice.I think pratice is the best teacher for all types of games.

D

Dikkas

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i would say you need to keep revising your tournaments and u'll learn how to play better, if you play play play only u'll easly get bored and never upgrade ur level.

Katyushka4

Katyushka4

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
My principles :
1. Best sites for SNGs just overflowing CIS professional players , but not as big - no. Many smaller sites so crowded fish players how crowded pokerstars pros.
2 . A few minutes spent searching for information about the most winning players on your site and endeavor not to run into them at the tables , or at the meeting.
3 . No shame in that once you have to go down to the limit below which you so recently left . To treat your bankroll , and the rest with new forces to rush into battle .

P

Pandaaaaa88

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just playing SNG's it give me experience

BearPlay

BearPlay

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Doubt there's any mid-higher stakes SNG players currently active on this site.

Don't think it's going to be any breakthrough info. aside from your typical stuff
- learn how to review your games
- find others to review with
- post HH for analysis (& read other's)
- study shove/fold/ call ranges (& adjustments vs. regs.)
- watch some training vids.
- rail a few of the better regs. (ghost/sweat if possible)

for newer folks, add in:
- learn ICM
- read the SNG books (Moshmann &/or Shaw)

Listen to this guy. Trust me ;)

bodonk

bodonk

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the most effective thing I did to better my sng game is to mark the regs. Just put a note on each players you see that plays on multiple tables, players that u run into alot. Just mark them and consider it every time you run into them.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Read the book by Colin Mosham.Also to build your confidence try the 50/50s on poker stars to begin with.SNGs are tricky around the bubble.
Bodonk's advice is good, go to Stars and do a player search at all your buy-in tables of the running tournaments to find these players.
SNG Planet is also a good web site for new players.

mrdeedreid

mrdeedreid

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All these comments are great.

I've been marking the regs.

I read through Mark's $16/Hour SNG 4 part guide or whatever you want to call it from SNG Planet. The first adjustment and important one I think was tightening up early. I've seen a lot more bubbles because of it.

Which book by Colin M? I'll look up the title. Can I get it in online PDF format?

BearPlay

BearPlay

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I read through Mark's $16/Hour SNG 4 part guide or whatever you want to call it from SNG Planet. The first adjustment and important one I think was tightening up early. I've seen a lot more bubbles because of it.

Which book by Colin M? I'll look up the title. Can I get it in online PDF format?

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Sit-Go-Strategy-Collin-Moshman/dp/1880685396"]http://www.amazon.com/Sit-Go-Strategy-Collin-Moshman/dp/1880685396[/ame]

mrdeedreid

mrdeedreid

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
@okee and BearPlay - Thanks for posting the link and making mention of the book. Just bought it off amazon.ca for Kindle. After a long day of breaking even :( it's time for a lot more SNG study.

BearPlay

BearPlay

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
@okee and BearPlay - Thanks for posting the link and making mention of the book. Just bought it off amazon.ca for Kindle. After a long day of breaking even :( it's time for a lot more SNG study.

Yeah, it's no problem. I was actually being serious up above, or maybe it was another thread, but the advice that Poker Orifice gave me awhile back really turned my SNG grinding around. Let me see if I can find it again.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Learning how stacks relate to each other in game, and how that influences our decisions is huge and was a big turning point in my game.

T

thatgreekdude

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
seriously it's all about volume, the more you play the better you'll become, i also review alot of hands that i play and when i bust i'll instantly go and look if there was any mistakes i made or if it was just bad luck or whatever.

eidikos

eidikos

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i suggest to all of you to read collin moshman's book sit n go strategy..

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

yes, mark's SnG planet articles were great for me. I also read Colin Moshman's book which was worth it's weight in gold. Beyond that, just practice. Getting a feel for just how tight I have to fold to a shove (AJ, AQ, JJ even) and how wide I have to be willing to shove (as bad as 85o sometimes).

practice was what showed me that I am not meant to be a serious multitabler.

Can I do it? yeah. I don't enjoy it nearly as much, I feel like more of a robot. I play online to sharpen my skills between live events...so I like to use SnGs in a different way than most SnG players do. I limit myself to 2-3 tables. THAT has positively affected my results more than anything else.

S

Scrover

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best thing I did was play the SNG's in sets. That is, play let's say nine of them that start at a similar time and finish when all of them finished instead of having nine games playing at the same time. Then I'd have three heads up games (which I find hard to multi table myself), plus the other six tables which would get short handed if I ran good.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
The best thing I did was join CardsChat.

BadB420

BadB420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Books, videos, practice and studying your play is going to make the biggest improvement on your SNG play! Another thing to consider is what type of SNG's you play! The Double Or Nothing SNG are the best for beginners in my opinion because half the table cashes so it will give you more confidence in your play and confidence is the number one ingredient to winning!