What did I do wrong here.

MiguelC18

MiguelC18

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have AQs, I am first to act. I raise 120. The blinds are 20/40. Hyperkalemia calls. SB folds BB folds. Flop JC JS 4H. I bet 300 he calls. Turn King of diamonds. I check he checks. Last card 5 Spades. I bet 900 he calls and shows 77.

newbie in training

newbie in training

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Problem that I see is ur not following ip on ur agression you stop it and that allows him to kick open the front door and kick your ass u should have bet turn and see what he wouldve done and also need to work on hand readinf it was pretty obvious to me he had a small pp under the jacks and then river comes lower card than his so he prolly thinking its a blank to his hand

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2

C

cotta777

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have AQs, I am first to act. I raise 120. The blinds are 20/40. Hyperkalemia calls. SB folds BB folds. Flop JC JS 4H. I bet 300 he calls. Turn King of diamonds. I check he checks. Last card 5 Spades. I bet 900 he calls and shows 77.

Playing out of position is when were gonna be losing most our chips,
You played it fine pre flop, you bet pot on the flop right?
He calls - you check the turn at this point your repping pretty much what you have - Ace high (I would put you on KA/QA
River comes a five, He isn't really scared of a jack, since you checked the king on the turn I think calling the river is what I would do,although my thought process is maybe a bit more advanced,
he may just be donking & reluctant to throw away a pair. But to his advantage he has called a pot flop on paired board. So villain will often have a made hand here.

betting 2/3 on flop is ok also, betting pot looks bluffy alot of the time, although its also player dependant.

My Summary of where potentially it went wrong...
If you had bet the turn he has to let go of his hand (at least 85% of players will. Failing that the 3 barrel would of done it

R

ravpl

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You could write next time how many chips have you and your opponent, a little more information. Pre-flop good, c-bet looks good. Next turn if u decide to check u check too in river(unless you hit Q or A) I think that if you bet on the turn, he would probably fold. At the beginning as I started playing it was hard to throw AK,AQ now i can throw sometimes better cards.

Remember that strong cards do not always win

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Post HH for better analysis.

W

Weissr

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The hand played out pretty much as expected according to each of you holdings. A mid-pair hand like 77 is calling a cbet on that flop all day long. When you check the turn is shows weakness, then the river is a blank so you line with a big bet on the river does seem pretty bluffy. If you had AK or KQ type hands, you are almost always cbetting the turn also so that narrows your range on the river to either pretty much air or a pocket pair (with is pretty low because it's had to have KK, of JJ)

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Firstly you bet way to big on the flop. The pot is 300 and you pot bet flop? The board is so dry, you can bet 50% pot or even less. You check a very good turn card which you can bet and get hands like under pairs to fold. The pot is now 600, you decide to bet 1.5x the size of the pot on the river, clearly you have more bluffs than value hands in this spot. I'm not surprised he called.

Any reason you decided to bluff an irrelevant river card yet choose to check one of the best the turn cards? You bet sizing and line makes no sense here, that's what you did wrong.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
preflop is fine
on the flop I'd bet 200 or 2/3 the pot
The turn is the crucial point of the hand.

This is when you should be narrowing down your player's range. This is when you are so bummed to be playing out of position, but it happens sometimes.

If you think he is slow playing a J or that he floated you with 2 big cards then you want to check/fold the K on the Turn because the only hand you can beat is exactly AT or you can chop with AQ (except he has position so he still might take the pot from you if he has AQ).

If you think he has a small to mid pocket pair, then you want to bet that K on the turn, if he calls you can pretty much check fold the river. If he raises the turn you can easily fold.

There really are no draws to suspect him of so you have to decide if he has 2 big cards or a pair. if you are unsure it is usually best to be the aggressor, so bet this "scare card" on the turn, bet about 300-400 and if he calls, you are done with the hand unless you river broadway.

If you bet the turn and he calls you down you only lose 400 instead of 900 and you make a better play.

T

twohaha

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your river bet looks like either a Jack or a bluff. You need to think what the opponent puts you on. Your check on the turn seems like weakness, and since its unlikely for you to have a jack, people will call you down light in this spot, especially if they never saw you thin value betting.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your river bet looks like either a Jack or a bluff. You need to think what the opponent puts you on. Your check on the turn seems like weakness, and since its unlikely for you to have a jack, people will call you down light in this spot, especially if they never saw you thin value betting.

Very rarely does someone have a jack in this spot. Someone with Jx on a JJx board rarely; next to never pot bets it at low stakes and the rare times they do, they would follow through with a bet on the turn.

L

Locco

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
you should`ve bet on turn too, probably he would`ve fold after that king.

S

sryImPro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
dont feel bad about it bud, cause there's a fact that we all should be aware off: we can't bluff out a donk :/

MiguelC18

MiguelC18

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's not that he was a donk. I just really played that hand wrong. I agree with most of the replies to this thread. And Yeah the way I played this hand made no sense.