Tourney Speed Format

SeaRun

SeaRun

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Something just came to me while reading another thread, and rather than jack that one, I'll ask here.

When playing either STT or MTT games, do you prefer Turbo or regular speed, and why?

Personally I prefer Turbo because I like the faster paced play and the shorter time to the end.

So what's your preference to play?

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Turbo tournaments have a large variance, we have a lot of preflop push and many decisions are zero .
For me better than the usual long tournaments, i can play with a wider range hands and variance is much lower.

rodrigoudf

rodrigoudf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play regular tournaments and turbos, but you have to keep in mind that both strategies to play the game are very different, such as what to do with number of blinds with which hands to call or fold pre flop .. .

Z

zingbust

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer something in between. Today's standard tournaments online sometimes include ultra-long late registration and re-entry periods, hardly the standard of a few years ago. The turbos are a bit too fast for my taste, so I would rather play in tournaments that have 1 hour of late registration with blind levels of around 8 - 10 minutes and a starting stack of at least 2,000 chips and no goofiness in the blind increases.

S

Scrover

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like regular tournaments, especially one's where you can't re-enter. It allows me to maneuver my stack around the field and keep quiet while I pick my spots to make a move without others just shoving all in regularly in the early stages. In turbo's you sometimes need to just take the math and hope to get lucky occasionally.

W

waterboy73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally hate turbos and super turbos. I'd rather play deepstacked with long blind levels than anything else. I like the idea of more wiggle room when playing, then it just becoming a flip fest 2 hours in. It does suck to play for 6 hours to basically min cash, but I've assessed that going into the tournament and am confident in my ability. But to each their own. I know some players just don't have that kind of time to spend playing and opt for turbos to suit their time needs.

T

TheNoobie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess I could play STT slow tournament, or turbo ( usually play MTTs here aswell ). But I dont go fooling aroud with too much tables. I enter enough tournaments so I could spot everywhere what is neccessary. I do that because I need to calculate stuff. On both slow and turbos there is a post flop play more or less, where if Im playing hyperturbos Im definitely multitabling. Since it is push or fold and I need to wait for a good hand I cant just play one table, Ill go crazy.

A

adepoker11

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Turbo tournaments are more exciting, with fast finish,
in the tournaments of 10 minute levels., the strategy is different and you must play with strong hands and position