Top two pair vs. set

IGotADonk

IGotADonk

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Toward the beginning of the tournament I get dealt A-10 off and everyone seems to be playing tight. So, I raise 3.5x and get a call from the big blind. Flop A, 10, 4 with 2 spades, and I v-bet and get a call. Turn comes out something pointless so I bet the pot and he raises.

So, I'm guessing I should have bet harder on the flop? Would BB be right to call a raise with 4's when he's going to be out of position?

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whats the amount of your value bet in terms of the pot?

44 is a little ahead vs AK - 55% vs 45%. About even if AKs.

Thats why pot odds, card odds, pot equity etc comes in on that situation above.

IGotADonk

IGotADonk

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It was about 1/3 of the pot. The percentages made sense preflop, but I didn't expect him to have flopped a set. I figured I had him beat, or he might be on a draw, so I figured I'd egg him on and then shut him down on the turn.

B

Blue_Fossil

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've noticed my two pair hands tend to lose to a set almost every time.

JK.

I would like to think I would conclude he had "trips" on the turn raise, but I'm not that smart. I'm better than I used to be, but I still get stung a lot in the scenario you just described.

T

thatgreekdude

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it would be important to know what that turn card was to understand his raise a little better, we don't necessarily have to give him credit for a set just because he raised the turn, he could have hit a smaller two pair, or he's just deciding to increase the value of the pot with AQ+ thinking he has the best hand, i think i would call him down and if he had the set then it's a cooler, you don't include the bet sizing of the hand which would also help people to give better analysis and understand the hand better which would in turn lead to a more in depth analysis