Broadway with 4 spades on the board

Largebalance

Largebalance

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I end up with broadway with no spade but 4 spades on the board only me and 1 player, I bet pot which is 3/4 his stack he pushes I fold for the 6k extra. Right or wrong I figured he had to have high spade, cause it was his tournament but there was 30k in the pot.

Last edited:
dealio96

dealio96

The LAG Monkeys
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just bc you're committed doesn't mean you have to call when you know you're behind. I mean...If you have some sort of equity to win the hand, then that's a different story. Example: if you commit the majority of your stack on a bluff and get reraised, you can obv fold bc you know you're behind. You don't have to call just bc you're "committed".

E

emirlidan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would have folded as well would be helpful to know what was on the board but i'm assuming overcards so I might have not even done the bet or bet less just to test the waters

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On a board like that and no spade in your hand, bet less on the river. I'd probably bet around 1/4th the pot.

-If they dont have a spade, they'll probably fold no matter the bet size.

-If they have a small spade, they might call and you'll lose the mininum, but there is a chance they might fold the weak spade if they think you're trying to get paid off.

-They might call you with a weaker hand like 2 pair for such a small bet and they'll pay you off.

-If you get reraised/shoved on, its an easy fold.

abzdolc

abzdolc

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
looks like a value bet, it wasn't mistake to fold , if u didn't play much hands with him , and no info that he will be bluf this king of situation in 50% +

S

SamBush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think you should be betting the hand because most of the time nothing worse can call I think check call or check fold!

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If deep stack , in all position need open raise 3-4bb with all pairs...
And in postflop play only on set value...

Casecrs

Casecrs

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
folding is good

at that point you know your behind good fold. save the chips!

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can definitely fold the river to his raise.

The real question is, should you even bet the river? I think the answer is no.

When you bet this scary board I don't think you'll EVER get called by less than flush, so the bet almost never earns you money. There are only 2 points of river bets: 1). Get a worse hand to call. 2). Get a better hand to fold. Your bet accomplishes neither.

By checking you allow villain to determine the size of the river bet, but you can use your hand as a bluff catcher if you think he's full of it.

If you have no hand you can bet the river as a pure bluff, your basically betting he doesn't have 1 of the 9 remaining spades.

Everybodylovesdeuces

Everybodylovesdeuces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
By checking you allow villain to determine the size of the river bet, but you can use your hand as a bluff catcher if you think he's full of it.
This exactly ^

If you're going to bet and fold to an all in, why not just check call for the same amount or fold to an all in and save yourself the chips?