should i have reraised with ak at the ft

blkmoney12

blkmoney12

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I made the ft of the of the intetop poker 5.50$ one rebuy and one add on with 400gte. I had 25000 chips in the sb. The blinds are 600-1200 with a 125 ante. There where 8 players left when the betting began. Utg 2 who ahd 55000 chips left made an opening raise for 3600 it gets folded too the cut off with over 100000 that player called button folded i was in the small blind with ak unsuited i had 2500 chips i had thought about shoving all in with ak but decided not and just flat called. The flop came 8-Q-9 with two clubs i checked the original raiser checked and the chip leadre bet out i had too fold and the orhinal raiser folded should i have re raised pre flop with ak.

S

ssbn743

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I made the ft of the of the intetop poker 5.50$ one rebuy and one add on with 400gte. I had 25000 chips in the sb. The blinds are 600-1200 with a 125 ante. There where 8 players left when the betting began. Utg 2 who ahd 55000 chips left made an opening raise for 3600 it gets folded too the cut off with over 100000 that player called button folded i was in the small blind with ak unsuited i had 2500 chips i had thought about shoving all in with ak but decided not and just flat called. The flop came 8-Q-9 with two clubs i checked the original raiser checked and the chip leadre bet out i had too fold and the orhinal raiser folded should i have re raised pre flop with ak.

I wouldn’t say it’s an automatic raise – but that should certainly be one of your first choices.

UTG ranges 8 handed at the final table are not nearly as tight as they are at other points in the tournament. He could have something like A J on the high side fairly easily, but he could also have AA or KK, so it really just depends on your read.

If this UTG opponent raises a lot with no regard for position this is a clear 3-bet all-in; against a rock maybe not, but probably still with your stack; yeah, 8 handed, I think this is a 3-bet all-in nearly 100% of the time.

C

credsfan03

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a spot where you should shove. This late in the tournament people will start calling you with hands like a10. I think it was a bad play to call. For example if you are up against j10 and 77 it brings ak down to a 38% favorite.

I

inflnlte

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont mind just flatting if you had more chips but you had 20bbs ands its the best time to shove and either pick up the pot or get a worse hand to call you. I dont think you can be afraid of the big hands here. If you had 50k, id prefer a call over a raise but thats just me.

left52side

left52side

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As stated above I believe it should certainly be a raise involved in this spot.
You have already commited chips and you know if you dont hit flop you have to fold.
I would certainly with around 20 bb left have to shove this spot.
It is one of them tuff calls where you dont nessisarily want to see a flop.
So my answer would be Shove this spot and if you get alled by race type hand such as small pp then that is what it is.
If you dont mind me asking did other two opponents go to showdown or was hand finished after you folded ?

blkmoney12

blkmoney12

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
no showdown

There was no show down

blkmoney12

blkmoney12

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
no showdown

Hand was done after i folded

needaGF

needaGF

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a spot where you should shove. This late in the tournament people will start calling you with hands like a10. I think it was a bad play to call. For example if you are up against j10 and 77 it brings ak down to a 38% favorite.

Yeah I agree with you. I don't think it's clever to call here.

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this is one of those spots where I would have went for it. I prefer not to see a flop 3-ways if I can help it. Sometimes you are early to act and can't help it. But being the last to act I would reraise with a larger stack. With the stack that you had, a worthwhile raise would have committed you, in which case your options are shove or fold. So you're folding A-K pre to a standard raise and a call from the two big stacks, or shoving all-in. My thinking is that the big stacks are more likely, to be raising light to pick up the blinds and keep pressure on the small stacks that aren't going to want to play around with less than a premium hand for as long as they can help it. They can afford to see a flop and make a C-bet post and get away from the hand if they have to without it making too big a dent in their stacks. What they probably couldn't afford to do was take a chance of doubling you up. While the chip leader could stand the hit better than the +2 player, I still don't think he would want you to have enough chips to be dangerous to him.

Last edited:
Lucothefish

Lucothefish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
By the time the action gets to you the pot is 1/3 of your stack and you're OOP for the rest of the hand.

Snap shove AINEC

M

Machidon7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what was the prize structure?....were u in the money?....u played to win or to climb the prize ladder ?....if u played to win then u should have shoved ...

BlackMoth5

BlackMoth5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd shove here especially if the intial raiser had been a player who was raising previously and like to see flops. If that's the case, then the bigger stack who calls more than likely has a speculative hand and would fold with your shove.. How'd the hand end up?

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
By the time the action gets to you the pot is 1/3 of your stack and you're OOP for the rest of the hand.

Snap shove AINEC
this ^
There's so much in the middle already... making this an even juicier spot to get it in.
I'd shove here especially if the intial raiser had been a player who was raising previously and like to see flops. If that's the case, then the bigger stack who calls more than likely has a speculative hand and would fold with your shove.. How'd the hand end up?
this ^ also really depends upon stack sizes (of all players on the table) and how the bigstack villain perceives the players remaining to act (ie. often a flat can be a trap with big pp, in hopes that LP player or blinds with re-steal-sized stacks will shove allin). < very situationally dependent obv.

cheapseats76

cheapseats76

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The spot where you were I would have at least 3 bet to 7500-9000 just to see where you are. By just flat calling the bet you allowed the UTG raiser to keep strength even though they were OOP when the hand started. He is first to act and if he catches a draw or hits the board he has the option to slow play or bet into the pot. The big stack in that scenario will bet into the pot when UT checks regardless of what they have because they have the chips to do so. I big question I would have as far as shoving is where you stood with chip count, if you were short stack then I would have shoved but if you were withing the average then a 3 bet raise would be the better move.