Should I have called here?? hard one

T

thefwa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On the bubble, of a $109 (won a satelite to) tournament, 6 places paid 7 remaining.
Merge - $0+$0|<> NL - Holdem - 7 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 22.82 BB (VPIP: 26.67, PFR: 8.33, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, hands: 15)
SB: 1.32 BB (VPIP: 26.09, PFR: 18.18, 3Bet Preflop: 16.67, Hands: 23)
BB: 11.95 BB (VPIP: 20.27, PFR: 16.67, 3Bet Preflop: 10.00, Hands: 75)
UTG: 3.43 BB (VPIP: 18.18, PFR: 11.43, 3Bet Preflop: 5.41, Hands: 110)
UTG+1: 18.95 BB (VPIP: 45.00, PFR: 22.22, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 20)
MP: 1.82 BB (VPIP: 20.00, PFR: 5.88, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 67)
Hero (CO): 14.7 BB

7 players post ante of 0.1 BB, SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2.2 BB) Hero has J♦ A♣

fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 2.08 BB, BTN calls 2.08 BB, fold, fold

Flop: (6.37 BB, 2 players) A♦ T♠ T♦
Hero bets 3.18 BB, BTN raises to 20.64 BB and is all-in, fold

BTN wins 12.73 BB

I would have called if it was post bubble, but there is a big difference between making $409 for 6th and 0$ for 7th, and with 3 micro stacks, I went ahead and elected to fold.

Ended up in 4th with +$603
1st was $2.5k :/
analysis??

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold preflop, in game still 3 short stack , better not to take risks now..

With regard to postflop game, i bet only 2bb because if villain have nothing he fold sure, but when villain shove you need fold...

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
raise is fine, or you can limp. fold is also ok depends on what your goals are/how important cashing is to you.

keeping it simple though.

riase if this tourney means little to you and you wouldn't mind bubbling here.

fold if this is a big deal, get that cash first then loosen up.

Postflop this is one of those WA/WB spots, it's a definite check/see a turn here, keep it small as possible.

shomy21

shomy21

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Huh, good fold there beacuse you was almost in money ( to much shortstacks). You had better hand probably, but he had maybe Q10, K10 and it's not worth the risk to get into money. Godd raise pre flop but great play by BTN, he probably won at the end?

A

Ambur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Button is pretty passive! I would lead out pre a slightly bigger bet since we are at CO (definetly i would not made half-hard bet, if this is the case i would not bet at all preflop), but in general i do not see why passive with loose tendents player (BTN) should fold preflop since SB is basically running dead!

Postflop: Since you are in bubble i personally would made check/fold here since there is 3 small stack still on game whome will probably run dead! And BTN hand range is too polarized, which makes it clear fold against any agression!

Last edited:
ZekeRam

ZekeRam

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As others have pointed out, if you're looking to min cash, raising is perfectly fine to try and steal and to steal alone. You can afford to lose a couple BB with SB and UTG being so low in chips. C-Bet is fine too, since you still can afford to lose a couple bb, I would've bet 1/3 of the pot and folded to any resistance.

On the other hand, I always look for a first place cash. It's a snap call if you're going for the win. BTN has a very thin range that can beat you, AA, AK, AQ A10, K10s-J10s and so on. I think he's more than likely making the move with Ax knowing that if you call, the blinds have passed and he can cruise to cash due to the short stacks in front of him.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very good play for me.

No need to go to showdown since its bubble time.

Agree with you. I would likewise call if it pass the bubble.

Anyway, congratulations.

P

poblaocity1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
nice move but somtimes you cants risk your stack in the bubble with bAx or small pair........

P

poblaocity1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
somtimes i fold KK.... why?? i loss with AA in the bubble maybe more hunderd hands vs small pairs or suited conectors i think pokerstars its very insane random hands runner runner bad beats every time you hav to be sick if you want to win any big mtt like sunday million:D

pick4player

pick4player

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would of folded the sb had 1.32bb before that hand next hand he would be in the bb and would be basically all in i think you could of waited . there were 3 small stacks . true play for the win but in this situation you satellite into the tourney sit back let that short stack bust 3 hands more at the most hopefully . cash then open up your range and raise it up . maybe others satellite there way in to so maybe they want to move up the pay ladder . anyway i would of waited you had a very good chance of letting 3 bust out and be 4 handed with around 12.5 bb then just use your push fold range you still had a stack they had to fear ... just my thoughts. gg

T

trixie

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you really didn't have much info on villain, it's fine to fold in this spot. You were probably ahead, but he could have been on a lot of different hands on the button. Were villain were to have called with 10-J suited, or some nonsense like that, you would have been stacking off way behind in the hand. It's always good to be aggressive around the bubble to scoop up blinds, so long as you're still patient at it.

eidikos

eidikos

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi!
good raise pre flop to push the short stack sb
post flop with an opponent with a bigger stack and out of position,you should check in my opinion to pot control and to avoid his 3bet bluffing as he represents the T
if you check call post flop 2bbs you make harder for him to bluff the turn

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think I'd snapcall here because it's unlikely he holds AQ or AK (would have 3bet preflop) so he is representing a T. Well...weird why would a T jam like that with the near nuts? I just don't buy that he has a T.

Most likely he has Ax or a diamond draw. I think the odds of him having a T are roughly equal with the odds of him having a pure bluff so they cancel out. If he has a weak Ace he is hoping the paired board will end up in a chopped pot if he's out kicked.

Why raise AJ preflop if you're going to fold on a ATT flop?

If surviving the bubble is a big deal to you, that's totally fine but then don't raise AJ preflop when a stack that covers you still has action.

D

DGOOD

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I'd snapcall here because it's unlikely he holds AQ or AK (would have 3bet preflop) so he is representing a T. Well...weird why would a T jam like that with the near nuts? I just don't buy that he has a T.

Most likely he has Ax or a diamond draw. I think the odds of him having a T are roughly equal with the odds of him having a pure bluff so they cancel out. If he has a weak Ace he is hoping the paired board will end up in a chopped pot if he's out kicked.

Why raise AJ preflop if you're going to fold on a ATT flop?

If surviving the bubble is a big deal to you, that's totally fine but then don't raise AJ preflop when a stack that covers you still has action.

I agree with this 100% if he has AA AK and possibily AQ (depending on your image) he would reraise pre. That leaves AT KT QT and maybe even 9T suited that we should be worried about. All of those are basically the nuts why would he ever shove with a 10 here? Im calling every time in this spot

A

Ambur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hi!
good raise pre flop to push the short stack sb
post flop with an opponent with a bigger stack and out of position,you should check in my opinion to pot control and to avoid his 3bet bluffing as he represents the T

This!

My comments on this hand for initial poster!:

Never take high variance place and make stab here while there is 3 shortstack around, its suicide mission!

If i am angry for money i will go with the flow since theoretically is everything okei!

Never go for a stacks this situation if your bankroll can not affort it (since initial poster won the place here by a satellite, i assume he does not have a huge bnkroll to grind those regularly)! You still has quite workable stack!

If you feel your postflop skills are not so good just fold preflop, save yourself from hassle!

And you still want play it look eidikos post!

Last edited: