Satellite bubble situation

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I found this situation interesting when I thought about it afterwards because of the meta-considerations. This was right on the bubble. The chip leader had gone from around a 6k lead to 2x second place by knocking out a player about 7 hands ago. He then raised every hand and got no callers, which gave him a huge lead when this hand was dealt.

Dealer: Seat 9
Seat 1: Arjon (17,788 in chips)
Seat 2: ottie420 (93,186 in chips)
Seat 3: bbgccvg (7,808 in chips)
Seat 4: doppioking (25,256 in chips)
Seat 5: Luda7711 (21,112 in chips)
Seat 7: look look (8,447 in chips)
Seat 9: freekinout (16,578 in chips)
Seat 10: zet58 (21,825 in chips)
Arjon: posts ante of 250
ottie420: posts ante of 250
bbgccvg: posts ante of 250
doppioking: posts ante of 250
Luda7711: posts ante of 250
look look: posts ante of 250
freekinout: posts ante of 250
zet58: posts ante of 250
zet58: posts small blind 1,250
Arjon: posts big blind 2,500
Dealt to Arjon [Ah,Qh]
ottie420: raises to 7,500
bbgccvg: folds
doppioking: folds
Luda7711: folds
look look: folds
freekinout: folds
zet58: folds
Arjon: ?

The thing I found interesting was that depending on the big picture situation, I may very well have taken different actions. In the actual hand, I snap-shoved, mainly because I felt it would still be cheap and not very difficult to qualify by playing more satellites.

But if the situation had been one I rarely find myself in (e.g. if the prizes had been packages into a multi-million dollar live tournament), I might very well have folded due to the two tiny stacks both on the verge of blinding out.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pretty easy fold i think. you have three guys who are lower than you. Your going to showdown here a bunch of times, and while you do dominate a lot of his range, your also 60/40 a lot vs random crap like 56s lol.

Wait it out and get ITM, since the prizes are all the same.

cdooley72

cdooley72

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was in a similar situation the other day in a satellite. I mean really almost the exact same thing with the big stack shoving around and everything. I was dealt JJ and made a stab. Got pushed back by the big stack and I folded. I made it pasted the bubble so I guess it was the right call. If it were not a sat Might have played it differently.

jolubman

jolubman

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate it when you know you have the best hand pre-flop, and the big stack forces you all-in. The best hand going in doesn't mean the best hand coming out.

cdooley72

cdooley72

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I hate it when you know you have the best hand pre-flop, and the big stack forces you all-in. The best hand going in doesn't mean the best hand coming out.

True that, hence the power of the big stack. In a way I wish I would have pushed back and won and made him the short stack. Because there was no reason for him to be pushing that way on a sat but for no other reason to be a bully. But it was not worth it just to be a tough guy. I wanted to the sat ticket.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
pretty easy fold i think. you have three guys who are lower than you. Your going to showdown here a bunch of times, and while you do dominate a lot of his range, your also 60/40 a lot vs random crap like 56s lol.

Wait it out and get ITM, since the prizes are all the same.

This. I play a lot of DONs which have the same bubble strategy as a satty. On the bubble unless you're the shorty by a decent margin you really need to avoid risk. I've been known to fold QQ/KK in spots like that. Haven't had the guts to fold AA yet but know some players will.

P

paymefoolsfool

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have folded AA right before the bubble made me want to vomit but went on to finish 3rd for a $500+ cash so if i call there and lose I really feel like vomiting....lol

cdooley72

cdooley72

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This. I play a lot of DONs which have the same bubble strategy as a satty. On the bubble unless you're the shorty by a decent margin you really need to avoid risk. I've been known to fold QQ/KK in spots like that. Haven't had the guts to fold AA yet but know some players will.

DONs same as sattys that is the right play if you already have the chips toride it out.

I have folded AA right before the bubble made me want to vomit but went on to finish 3rd for a $500+ cash so if i call there and lose I really feel like vomiting....lol

I would have played the AA here as it is not a sat but a cash tourny. Good to here you got 3rd tho.

trucker103

trucker103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fold to get in the prize whatever it be
still tough to but the bigger picture is the thing

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

If you're talking a standard MTT/SNG, you really should *never* consider folding AA pre. Maybe when there's a much shorter stack and the next pay jump is $1M or something equally unlikely, but not in any ordinary situation. We're talking satellites and DONs here only.

C

credsfan03

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would fold this hand because you are not playing to win the tournament and with three guys with chip stacks less than yours you have a pretty good chance at winning a ticket.

M

matiusaa

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm going to ask you a question: what did you expect from winning the hand? You would get the ticket anyways, and you risked the ticket (even though you can have more than 50% of chances of winning) when you have it for sure. When you have the ticket for sure in a satellite you have to fold EVERYTHING EVEN AA. This is because by playing you are risking the prize, and if you win the hand you won't win anything else than the ticket you already had, so WHY risk it?

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm going to ask you a question: what did you expect from winning the hand? You would get the ticket anyways, and you risked the ticket (even though you can have more than 50% of chances of winning) when you have it for sure. When you have the ticket for sure in a satellite you have to fold EVERYTHING EVEN AA. This is because by playing you are risking the prize, and if you win the hand you won't win anything else than the ticket you already had, so WHY risk it?

You're replying to a year-old thread. Notice when you post in and old thread the warning in big red letters that recommend you not do that.

zveri666

zveri666

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bad move, when your playing for a ticket and your almost guaranteed a ticket because of your chip stack and spots left with the money, you fold everything. AA should even be a fold because the chip leader can afford to call you with anything and potentially knock you out. Plus, you dont win anything extra by winning the hand.

M

margenov

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Satellites are not like anything in poker. They are a totally different beast. I would easily fold anything except AA here. You don't need to get more chips, you just have to wait until someone shorter is blinded out or someone is busted before that.

E

edviusz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think in satellites when you have more chips, you must easy fold QQ,KK,AA. Because you play for the tickets:)

Poker Tells