Question about big pot poker

T

Tgen

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i tend to play small pot poker at mtt's , i rarely 3-bet and i see a lot of cheap flops with speculative hands etc , im interested to try the other viable method of big pot poker , as far as im concerned good players with this style mix big bluffs and big pots with good starting hands , you are supposed to enter less pots but you win bigger when you do.

my question is what are the good hands you are 3-betting and how do you play them postflop if the villain calls?

for example its still early phase of mtt you have 3000 stack at 15/30 lvl and a villain raises from mid position and you 3-bet him with 99 and he calls you ,
the board comes 8-5-2 , how do you proceed from there? do you intent to play it for stacks or you plan to give up if he fights back or float?

currently with my style i play medium pairs and other trouble hands cautiously
but if im correct you have to play such hands very aggresively with the big pot method and i have trouble grasping this concept.

overall does anyone here use it ? and how does it work for you ?

masondub

masondub

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It would be nice if we could get some experienced poker enthusiasts in this thread because i am in the same boat, i tend to try and play small ball poker. I may get a little out of hand when i have position and the time seems to be right. I really only 3-bet when i got a very nice hand and i know i got it. Maybe every now and then ill throw a 3-bet out there if i have a read on a player.

Lucothefish

Lucothefish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With big pot poker you play really tight. Super tight. Virtually every time you enter the pot you're happy to stack off because your opening range is so narrow. Hence when you do open raise you're happy to raise big, 3x, 5x or more.

In the example given if you're playing big pot I'm guessing you'd be stacking this flop? I think the idea is if you aren't happy stacking off you should fold pre, so in the early stages a big pot player would be super nitty and only really play premium hands.

Ultimately I feel that learning how to play post flop would be better for your game than learning big stack poker, but it's an interesting way to level the playing field when you're up against people better than you.

vinylspiros

vinylspiros

PIRANHA-------->< (((º>
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
big hands OR big draws=big pots

bad hands Or no draws=small pots. thats my strategy. unless i sense the opponent is weak. if you c-bet the flop and get a caller and have no outs whatsoever to improve your hand,id reccomend letting it go and moving to the next one.

Blobweird123

Blobweird123

CC's very own Dead Head
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i tend to play small pot poker at mtt's , i rarely 3-bet and i see a lot of cheap flops with speculative hands etc , im interested to try the other viable method of big pot poker , as far as im concerned good players with this style mix big bluffs and big pots with good starting hands , you are supposed to enter less pots but you win bigger when you do.

my question is what are the good hands you are 3-betting and how do you play them postflop if the villain calls?

for example its still early phase of mtt you have 3000 stack at 15/30 lvl and a villain raises from mid position and you 3-bet him with 99 and he calls you ,
the board comes 8-5-2 , how do you proceed from there? do you intent to play it for stacks or you plan to give up if he fights back or float?

currently with my style i play medium pairs and other trouble hands cautiously
but if im correct you have to play such hands very aggresively with the big pot method and i have trouble grasping this concept.

overall does anyone here use it ? and how does it work for you ?

You answered the question yourself really. Play more aggressively with good starting hands.

There are plenty of starting hand charts to give you an idea of what hands are +ev in a given position. On that particular hand example, given the flop is rainbow or two toned im comin out swingin with a 1/3-1/2 size pot bet.

But, maybe its just my nittiness, I don't think i'd 3bet pre there. Of course its all dependent upon reads and stats on villain but I don't really 3bet with much less than QQ, AQs sometimes, and maybe KQs. Again it depends on the villain.