Is this push ok?

J

JackGrey

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sure, u were pretty short and had a pair short handed... I say, shove away.

Dubstep

Dubstep

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was 7th out of 12. 12th paid 70$ and 1st paid 1400$ so maybe this influences this decision?

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah it's a bit light for me, you have a lot of BB's here even if you don't think so.. this is likely a profitable shove, but it's only going to be slightly profitable and those shoves rely on the long term to even themselves out.

Basically what i'm getting at is, even if this is a +EV long term shove, you might want to consider open folding or min-raising instead, rather than jamming in so many chips.

Having said all that, it's really up to you. Jamming 7's here is likely profitable, without doing any ICMizer work i would think it's close to the bottom of your jamming range meaning it's likely only slightly profitable. So if it is, then your play is technically good, however ask yourself do you really want to be risking ALL of your chips here when you have other options at your disposal?

For me i raise and see what happens, most likely scenario here is the AQ jams and we fold, not a big deal and we're still in the tournament.

tARsh

tARsh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
More than ok, really the only appropriate decision. I didn't watch beyond seeing your hole cards.
Judging by your post I assume you lost? Suck but 100% keep that line in your inventory.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
Yeah it's a bit light for me, you have a lot of BB's here even if you don't think so.. this is likely a profitable shove, but it's only going to be slightly profitable and those shoves rely on the long term to even themselves out.

Basically what i'm getting at is, even if this is a +EV long term shove, you might want to consider open folding or min-raising instead, rather than jamming in so many chips.

Having said all that, it's really up to you. Jamming 7's here is likely profitable, without doing any ICMizer work i would think it's close to the bottom of your jamming range meaning it's likely only slightly profitable. So if it is, then your play is technically good, however ask yourself do you really want to be risking ALL of your chips here when you have other options at your disposal?

For me i raise and see what happens, most likely scenario here is the AQ jams and we fold, not a big deal and we're still in the tournament.

Listen to this man.

I would do the same as the bolded above, 77 is easily dominated and you had many chips to get it in at a better spot. :hello:

R

Red_Devil

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's def profitable. I definitely prefer min raising as opposed to shoving in spots like these though. Gives you an opportunity to get away (protect your tournament life) & also looks stronger !

great run ;)

PokerFunKid

PokerFunKid

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nothing wrong with the push, but you don't want more then 1 person to call here. Since you are in early position i might have limped and see what happens. Hope for a set, if not getting a set wait for a better hand on a flop like K Q. Anyways: The shove is OK since 7s isn't a bad hand 6man at the final table. It was a coinflip and you didn't had the luck with you. Next time you'll win the flip ;)!

R

Red_Devil

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
to put your mind at rest Dub, why don't you upload the hand into ICMIZER? They offer 3 free reviews a day.

romych007

romych007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think a good push the more you had a good stack for pushing

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its fine push , with 6M our range shove here like 22+, A3s+, A9o, K9s+ , KJo, QTs+, JTs , T9s ..

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think a push here is also fine given the prior response about your M (yours is 6.4 here). Your objective in this range is to be first into the pot. So regardless of your position, the play remains the same. I suppose ideally you'd be more likely to pick up the blinds and antes if you had this hand in late position, assuming folds behind you. However, we don't always have that luxury and we have to make moves when the opportunity presents itself.

That said, you were fortunate to be in a race so you certainly were left in the most optimal scenario, but you just got unlucky and lost the race.

You had about 14 bb's left and if you miss this opportunity and you don't voluntarily put any more chips in until you were on the button, you have about 12ish bb's left, with an M of 5.5, with no guarantee you're picking up a hand that good.

I don't think I'm saying anything really unique here, except to support prior arguments that your play was fine. The only point I probably disagree with is limping or min-raising, though if the table dynamics were such that you could limp with reasonable expectation that nobody was going to raise behind you, it's probably an acceptable enough play. I more strongly disagree with min-raising here. You have to preserve your chips here and opp. that had AQ may have re-shoved on you.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
These spots are tricky and really you have the hardest stack size to play because so many of your choices put you in an awkward position.

Folding: seems way too tight 6 handed with 14bbs

Limping: you're just inviting a squeeze play, so if you're comfortable with that then OK. I don't personally like the limp idea, because if I get squeezed I'll hate calling and I'll hate folding.

Min Raising: It's ok. so you make it 50k (13% of your stack) and then you fold to a jam? That's OK but if you do that too much people can just start light 3betting you. Also, you're giving the BB excellent odds to call you, so you'll frequently be taking a flop. what are you going to do when the flop comes 6TK and the BB checks to you? What about when you get flatted from somebody who has position on you and you get a terrible flop like the one in this hand? It would be very easy for you to get away with a decent stack on a flop like that, so that is the obvious upside.

Open Jamming: your stack is almost just a touch too big for this because you'll never get called by a hand that you have crushed (the only hands we crush are 22-66 and A7 or worse). I just don't see any of those hands calling. Rarely will you cause a better hand to fold, sometimes 88 will fold but I don't think 99+ is folding. So usually you'll just win the blinds, often you'll be flipping and occasionally you'll be crushed. it's a high risk line, but the upside is that it gains you maximum fold equity vs. hands like AT or KQ that might otherwise flat a min raise; and it keeps your decisions easy.

So, in short none of your options are really very good in a spot like this. So, we pick the "least bad" option.

I guess I'd play this hand based on the way I plan to play my future raising hands. If I'm planning on min raising a lot of spots, then I'll min raise this hand, too. If I'm planning on open jamming a lot of spots, then I'll open jam this hand. That way it lends cover to your other hands and makes it hard for your opponents to get a line on you.

The fact that the bubble has just burst means people will usually loosen up, meaning your FE has gone down no matter which line you choose.

The other factor is how you feel about your skills relative to the table, and your position at the table. If I think I'm one of the better players then I'll try to play more pots and avoid flips. (min raise) If I think my table is tough, I'll just go for maximum FE with hands that are likely ahead (jam preflop). Also, even if your table is not too tough, but you have a tough player on your left....then I'm more likely to just keep my decisions simple and not get out played by jamming in close spots like this.

So I think, weighing all the factors, sometimes I'll min raise a hand like this and sometimes I'll open jam. Maybe 60% of the time min raise and 40% of the time open jam.

Thanks for posting this hand...these are tough nuts to crack and it helps my game to think about these problems.

Last edited: