Protection pocket monsters QQ+ preflop

edik2202

edik2202

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
how many blinds you need to go to the bank in early position with monsters on your hands? 3bet probably very little?

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't understand the question.

are you asking how many BB do you need before you can 3 bet with a monster instead of just shipping all in?

Assuming that is your question, if your 3 bet puts roughly 30-50% or more of your stack into the pot it becomes extremely suspicious to others that you have a monster. If you are looking for action then, the all-in actually looks weaker and a hand like AQ or JJ might look you up if that is what you want.

so, let's say the inital raise is 3BB. If you have a stack of only 14 BB and you re-raise to 6BB it's a dead giveaway. therefore, I'd say you need more than 15-20BB to attempt a 3 bet....

just my humble opinion
:)

R

rrph3rtbkr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in early position 3 bet is gud with monster hands, its better because if u dont hit the board u can fold post flop ..or he his showing strength .. if u gonaa bet around 7x or 8x with monster hand all the time , they will have a tell on u and next time when u raise that mutch they will fold to ur monster nad u wont get nay value of ur hand ..
u should always bet constistently with ur rags,bluff,monster hand
so that opponent dont have any tell on u..

DaveE

DaveE

Solvem probler
Project Moderator
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I'm guessing he meant 3BB.

Like rrph said bet the same as would any other hand in early position. For me that's always 3BB (or less when the blinds get higher) no matter what the position.

Some people open with 4 BBs from early position, 3BB mid and 2-3BBs late. This works too, as long as you're consistent.

Changing your bet sizing depending on your hand strength gives your opponents free information.

O

oooo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I woudln't slowplay those hands, everytime I have them, I shove. All the times I tried to slowplay them, I got beat up by sets or two pairs. That's just my 2 cents, if you want to slowplay, do it with a full house when you have the 3 of the same being bigger then the pair. :)

valkopt

valkopt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
how many blinds you need to go to the bank in early position with monsters on your hands? 3bet probably very little?

I always open with at least 4BBs... And if in MTTs and the blinds are small, I bet a higher value (blinds 30/60 I bet 300 or so). And, of course, if I'm short, I shove.

Thats how I play :D

M

Misdir

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in early position 3 bet is gud with monster hands, its better because if u dont hit the board u can fold post flop ..or he his showing strength .. if u gonaa bet around 7x or 8x with monster hand all the time , they will have a tell on u and next time when u raise that mutch they will fold to ur monster nad u wont get nay value of ur hand ..
u should always bet constistently with ur rags,bluff,monster hand
so that opponent dont have any tell on u..
if you are playing at micro tables consistency means nothing against agressive fish.

M

Misdir

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
.....if you are playing at micro tables consistency means nothing against agressive fish.

R

RaisingYa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everything in poker is situational. In early position generally 3BB is reasonable. If I were playing in a lower buyin tournament I generally open for more than the 3BB. 4 to 5BB if the tournament is early stages. I think you shouldn't say in all situations open with 3BB in early position. You have to also take into consideration what the table composure is. If you are at a loose table where 6 people will call a 3BB raise you may consider raising more. If people in late position have been raising consistently you may also consider calling and re raising. I think it really depends on the situation.

R

rumsey182

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always open with at least 4BBs... And if in MTTs and the blinds are small, I bet a higher value (blinds 30/60 I bet 300 or so). And, of course, if I'm short, I shove.

i really dislike this strategy more so the small blind raising

A

aznman08

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i really dislike this strategy more so the small blind raising

In online MTT, raising to 80 at 10/20 tends to get practically everyone to call. People look at it as its only 80 out of 1500 than being 4BB

Abedin120

Abedin120

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
It depend of the level and of course of the opponent against you play. If you play at first or second level, than you can raise more, like 4xBB or maybe sometimes 5xBB, and if you are on higher level then for my opinion you should raise 3xBB, or go all-in because somebody can call you and make pair of aces of kings on the flop, and in that situation you will be forced to go fold. So in earlier levels with QQ you should make raise 4xBB, and in late levels it will be better to go all-in.

C

cpgd176

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Getting it in all day. A lot wide range of hands are going to look you up and you will have a lot of those hands dominated. Better to shove, get called, and double up rather than make a suspicious raise and get weaker hands to fold cause you look super strong.

Bowman26

Bowman26

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

So that's YOU! You're the one!!! :D Argghh I hate when I have to play pot committed pre-flop poker with the likes of you :p

With the limited info in the OP I would say shove if you are wondering how few you need left in your stack to shove you already have too few chips. Shove it and hope for the best.

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in early position you should raise a lot because its very obvious for your opponents to read you have a good hand, even limping can be good sometimes in early positions and then 3 bet if a player raises. you bet should be 3-4 bb. 3.5 is also a good bet.

lovemiscou

lovemiscou

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
it depends how many BB you have left, if it is 15 or more then you should try

a 3BB raise but if close to 10BB i would just shove all in

edik2202

edik2202

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it depends how many BB you have left, if it is 15 or more then you should try

a 3BB raise but if close to 10BB i would just shove all in

I asked about the early stages of the tournament, when the average stack player 100BB+

nax

nax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I asked about the early stages of the tournament, when the average stack player 100BB+

I bet 3-4BB in this case and see what happens. In micro stakes MTT you often get called or raised.

NeverEnough

NeverEnough

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

So you bet larger when you have a monster? I don't advise giving away free info. Remind me of the guy that plays the MTTs I do. EVERY time he gets AA, he bets/raises a huge amount. Every other hand, he bets sane amounts.

hobonc

hobonc

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the OP's question is "What amount is a good bet to isolate players when holding QQ."

As others have said, you would need to give more information. Each situation could have different amounts. If this question is because a hand was played by you, post a history of this hand including stack sizes, prior action, buy in, tournament level/blinds, and player styles if any pattern has developed.

3x the bb may be great on a table with mostly tight players left to act. This same amount may not be sufficient if there are a few aggressive players left to act.

M

madethegrade

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if u have 15bb would just ship with qq if you have 100bb three bet larger but with 15 just ship it in and hope ur hu vs some1

O

oooo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So that's YOU! You're the one!!! :D Argghh I hate when I have to play pot committed pre-flop poker with the likes of you :p

With the limited info in the OP I would say shove if you are wondering how few you need left in your stack to shove you already have too few chips. Shove it and hope for the best.
Dude, you don't need to play pot commited. The guys just gave you free info! When he has the hand he will put 4bbs, just fold it. :rolleyes: