Players who WILL NOT FOLD

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok so I'm playing in an America's card room freeroll. I have a big stack with A 7. There is a guy raising every hand and it's just me and him heads up and there are 7 inactive players folding blinds. (Lol). So I call his small raise to 2 big blinds. The flop hits 45Q. He raises and I believe that he has caught maybe a pair of fives. That is the read I have on him. The turn hits a K. He fires another raise to two big blinds. I reraise him to 4 big blinds and he calls. Now again this is all part of my plan. I was building the pot here so that my final raise on the river would have a bigger impact and show him his fives were no good. He called my raise. The river was a 10. He checked, and this confirmed my thought that he wasn't strong. I had a very good read on him and I shoved all in, because a player who knows anything about poker folds their 5 to that board. Not him. He calls the all in and flips up a pair of fives. It doesn't make any sense. My read was spot on solid. Can anyone tell me if what I did was right here? How should I play with players who will call with just about anything?

the lab man

the lab man

CardsChat Irregular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
He was actually reading you, he knew that you knew he only had fives, and he knew that you knew you were trying to set him up, and when the Ace didn't hit he knew that you knew that the only way to win was you to raise, he knew this and he knew he was going to win. :confused: :confused: :confused:

stay here and there's lots to learn:D

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The way i get them to fold, is to show them a few of my monster hand's, This sets it in their mind i am coming after them with top hands.

How did you play AT>AK well in hands with him? Did you call or reraise him?
Then look at how you played Ax well in hands with him.
Maybe he had the better read on you.

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is so much information missing from your story - any number of reasons he called you down but anytime you shove the river you are going to run the risk of being read as desperate. Hell he might have folded to a value bet but since you overplayed it he figured he had a shot of making his fives good.

Hell, wth that board maybe he read you as 67 drawing to a straight - ludicrous, I know - but you have to start getting into the mindset of figuring out what he thinks you have.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Why do you want a player to fold, who never folds?
Why are you trying to make a player who never folds.... fold?

:confused:

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I didn't know he never folds until this hand lol. Also this guy was playing like a standard donk every other hand. There were many hands where he called me down with absolute nothing. He never folded. Ever. I have trouble believing that a standard donk like this could pick up such a solid read on me. I felt like I did a good Job of representing a big hand. With my reraise then my all in. Do you guys ever call all in with a pair of fives?

Last edited:
MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Since he intiated most of the action he was probably wondering the same thing about you :)

BLACKSTACK

BLACKSTACK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldnt complain about a player slowly giving me his chips and i try my best now to scare them away with a big bet, try to get as much value as possible from them, sure they might river you maybe 1 in 5 hands.

GOIVIT

GOIVIT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why do you want a player to fold, who never folds?
Why are you trying to make a player who never folds.... fold?

:confused:

This would be my comment. You need to wait for good hands and punish this type of player.

domeburglar

domeburglar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im assuming this is the New Depositer freeroll on Americas Cardroom based off of you sayin there was alot of people sitting out.. Your starting stack is 100.. and the free rebuy gives you 1400... if he hadn't used his rebuy yet this probably has ALOT to do with it... even if he loses he ends up with more chips to work with...

MisterLongFace

MisterLongFace

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I didn't know he never folds until this hand lol. Also this guy was playing like a standard donk every other hand. There were many hands where he called me down with absolute nothing. He never folded. Ever. I have trouble believing that a standard donk like this could pick up such a solid read on me. I felt like I did a good Job of representing a big hand. With my reraise then my all in. Do you guys ever call all in with a pair of fives?

you say you didn't know he never folds but then you say there were many hands that he called down with nothing and never folded. you are contradicting here, yes?

AllboutMeBaby

AllboutMeBaby

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
reply to players who will not fold

I know it sucks, but you really can't bet retarded players. I have learned really fast that online poker players are not like live poker players. Especially at a freeroll table they really don't care if the win or lose. Then of course you have your A chasing or flush chasers and they will call anything just to see if they hit. I don't understand how or why they do it but they do. Then again may he knew you had nothing just like you knew he had 5's. I just know that I have had more bad beats and river suck outs while online then any time in my life. :cool: :D

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally, this is one of the scenarios I hate most. The fact that it is a freeroll means a lot players will probably have a tendency towards loose play. Add to that the fact there are only two active players, while the rest are sitting out. The name of the game becomes "Steal the Blinds", and in this game aggression often wins. To assume that your opponent is automatically a donk is the first mistake. He was likely excercising a very specific tactic againts you, raising just about every hand, betting out on every street, putting the pressure on you. Obviously, if he will play any two cards, then it's hard to know whether or not he has paired even on the most random board. Even his refusal to fold is most likely a calculated risk, to discourage you from trying to bluff him, allowing him to be the aggressor. Just because you don't realize it, doesn't mean that he doesn't know exactly what he is doing. And with only you and him at the table, he's likely to be watching you as closely as you are watching him, looking for patterns, trying to get a read.

Or maybe, he did just make a horrible call and was lucky as hell. Believe what you want, or learn what you can. The choice is yours.

Last edited:
Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to take these opponents to value town not bluff-shove A high when you already think they have a made hand.

Generally speaking freeroll players are usually terrible and many of them won't fold if they have anything.

For a bluff to work you need a thinking opponent.

You're far better off if you never bluff in freerolls since as said opponents generally don't adjust anyhow.

MasterOfDisaster

MasterOfDisaster

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its so easy just 3bet him preflop. Calling is probably the worst thing you could do.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol, sorry but your read of him having a 5?

I mean what made you come to this conclusion on each and every street, or was it when it went to show down and he showed down a 5 that you decided this was your read for starting a thread? ;)

In light of that anyway; if you have a player who wont fold; certainly do not bluff them. Just value town them and they WILL pay you off. The ones who don't fold anything are the ones who are the easiest to take money from.

GL

domeburglar

domeburglar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol, sorry but your read of him having a 5?

I mean what made you come to this conclusion on each and every street, or was it when it went to show down and he showed down a 5 that you decided this was your read for starting a thread? ;)

In light of that anyway; if you have a player who wont fold; certainly do not bluff them. Just value town them and they WILL pay you off. The ones who don't fold anything are the ones who are the easiest to take money from.

GL

+10.5 :icon_salu

T

TIMNILES44

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Intenseheat you got it right ! why play passive when steeling blinds it seldom works out.Although you read him right this hand how many others did he get your money !

M

MIShroomer47

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Shoving on the river is the most obvious play of someone having nothing. I can't tell you how many times I've had a player "setting me up" only for me to call his monster bet on the river because it's just so obvious that he has nothing. Maybe had you reraised him preflop, he might have been led to believe that you had a K in your hand... and he may have layed it down. Not to mention you're playing a freeroll... player against you has nothing to lose, but only information to gain about you by making that call... Here's a tip, don't expect freerollers to make sensible plays and decisions because they don't... that's why they're freerolling...

Edit: I also don't battle nut jobs with hands like A7... i make sure I got the goods cause they'll pay off when you do!

Last edited:
J

joej0987

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Players who do not fold and think everyone is bluffing I hateee. They don't wanna lay down there AK when they didn't even hit a draw, then bam they hit on the river after going all in with nothing but ace high. Stupid luck.

A2345Razz

A2345Razz

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why do you guys love playing in raised posts OOP with marginal/trash type hands so much???

Ill never understand this.

PLZ DO NOT MENTION ANYTHING ABOUT BEING AHEAD OF VILLAIN'S RANGE...MY HEAD WILL LITERALLY EXPLODE.

STOP CALLING.

dino

dino

10 cevapcici = 0 stress
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
you should set him up with a hand, then raise/reraise him, when you have hand not bluff him to fold, if he never fold
that's what I would do, I would try to set him up with bigger pair or better and take his chips, patience is a key

Folding in Poker