Opponent catches 5 on the turn and make a straight.

L

limakpl

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Early stage of a freeroll tournament.
Loose opponents and loose table.
blinds 15/30
Hero 455; button with :ad4: :10c4:
Villain (loose) 955; BB

Everyone folds I raise to 3 bb to 90 preflop
Sb folds , BB villain calls
pot 195

flop :7h4: :as4: :8c4:
Villain checks ,
I bet 1/2 pot 97
Villain calls.
pot 389
Turn :5d4:

I go all in 268
Villain calls with :6d4: :4s4:

Was my hand played incorrectly at any street?
I often find myself in simillar situations or when my opponens improve to two small pairs on the turn. I start to be afraid to bet for value top pairs with decent kickers. At this stage with very loose opponents I find it hard to assign their ranges and I just play my cards. His play was of course EV-. Any solution ?

C

Chipsteal_jj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what was your second card i can see only 10c :/

L

limakpl

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can see both icons <strange> i had Ace of diamonds and 10 of clubs

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Shove preflop only, it will be right game...

About flop, i bet much around 150, because it freeroll, many people can call with wide range like draw or any pair.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bet sizing is very important.

Be on the utmost side.

punctual

punctual

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would not have pushed all in on the turn. After all, all I had was top pair and the openended straight possibility would have scared me (opponent needs 69 or 64 to complete the straight with still another card to be drawn!). Perhaps i would not be so scared of that open-ended straight possibility if I was going against someone other than the BB but since in your case it was the BB, I would have considered the fact that he could pretty much have hit something higher than my top pair.

What I would have done is perhaps bet bigger on the flop. Why bet bigger on the flop? because I got top pair and I am going against a single player who happens to be the big blind. In general, many BB players will just go along for the ride with bets from the dealer for two reasons: 1. to let the table know he/she will not be pushed around (the button is a standard stealing position especially if all players earlier than the button have folded). 2. sometimes the BB feels like he is already invested a minbet so what is it really costing him to make it two or three more minbets? So in his view, the price is good for him to see the flop.

So when the dealer is going against the BB with Ax, he or she can be pretty confident that his/her pair of aces is probably good. However, the goal should be to end the round ASAP by betting big on the flop because otherwise you give your opponent the opportunity to draw out on you. So being super aggressive on the flop here would have saved you in this case. Of course, the BB could have had Ax with x higher than yours and you would have been screwed but the chances of that happening are pretty low since you went in with large x.

The all in on the turn seems to have come a bit to late, IMHO.

Early stage of a freeroll tournament.
Loose opponents and loose table.
blinds 15/30
Hero 455; button with :ad4: :10c4:
Villain (loose) 955; BB

Everyone folds I raise to 3 bb to 90 preflop
Sb folds , BB villain calls
pot 195

flop :7h4: :as4: :8c4:
Villain checks ,
I bet 1/2 pot 97
Villain calls.
pot 389
Turn :5d4:

I go all in 268
Villain calls with :6d4: :4s4:

Was my hand played incorrectly at any street?
I often find myself in simillar situations or when my opponens improve to two small pairs on the turn. I start to be afraid to bet for value top pairs with decent kickers. At this stage with very loose opponents I find it hard to assign their ranges and I just play my cards. His play was of course EV-. Any solution ?

K

Karametric

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
half a pot is only going to scare away second and third pairs, maybe. It should also scare gutshot draws like this, but sometimes won't. flush draws (not present) and open ended straight draws (which he could have had) will very very often stick around. With that flop I would probably bet 3/4 pot to a full pot.

L

limakpl

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very good advice about betting bigger on the flop but
sometimes the BB feels like he is already invested a minbet so what is it really costing him to make it two or three more minbets? So in his view, the price is good for him to see the flop.
I want to get some money for the decent hand that i had on perfect position and wouldn't raising bigger pre flop (4bb or 5bb) scare him and made him throw his hand away pre flop. Shall i try to win the hand preflop and be satisfied with blinds only or give him alittle better but still worse odds to call my preflop raise ?
BY the end of the day I gave him but odds to call on the flop , so are you saying that with so many ways too lose I should prefer him folding rather than calling ?

N

nygmen2007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If the table is aggressive youw ant ot take advantage.. I would have raised to 150 or 180..... who knows if any raise would have worked, but you made it cheap enough for him to see..

punctual

punctual

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very good advice about betting bigger on the flop but
sometimes the BB feels like he is already invested a minbet so what is it really costing him to make it two or three more minbets? So in his view, the price is good for him to see the flop.
I want to get some money for the decent hand that i had on perfect position and wouldn't raising bigger pre flop (4bb or 5bb) scare him and made him throw his hand away pre flop. Shall i try to win the hand preflop and be satisfied with blinds only or give him alittle better but still worse odds to call my preflop raise ?

This is more a philosophical question because the answer really depends on you. In this particular case, raising 4BB or more preflop may well have scared the BB away and you would have avoided his drawing out on you and you would have actually won. But then again, you may have been the shortstack at the table in which case the BB may feel like worse case scenario he loses a big part of his stack (i.e. no risk of busting out against you) and so he may be willing to go all the way with you anyways "just for kicks"

But even if you stuck with yoru initial 3BB bet, as soon as you nabbed that A on the flop you should have put more pressure on the villain. A half pot bet is pretty standard. two pot or more bet may have won you the hand right there because now you will have made the pot odds much less favorable for a call (you gave him about 3 to 1 pot odds with your 95 bet on the flop which is already tough for him to call given his about 1 to 11 chance of hitting his 5 on the turn or river; if you had raised $300 on the flop you would now be forcing BB to risk $300 to make $500 making the pot odds about 1.66 to 1....a much less favorable situation for him). Another reason for betting more than simply half the pot is because a half pot bet seems standard whereas a pot sized bet or more is anomalous and a bit more scary. But of course, if the BB is not Pot Odds Aware, then he may have just chased that draw no matter what.

I think that stealing blinds is essential in later rounds of a tournament and gets you nowhere in the beginning of a tournament unless you happen to be at a 10-player table with 9 nits in which case you can really dominate in blind stealing from the very beginning.

G

GreatLeslie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know what kind of read you had on your opponent but the Ace was dangerous in the first place, and the 5 on the turn should have put you off going all in. His range on the BB is going to be wide anyway, after all, he only needs to call off 60 more chips to see a flop. I think the continuation bet was perfect, but the all in on the turn was your main mistake I think.

E

emilio3645

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree the all in bet on the turn was wrong, I would have bet bigger pre-flop and if he still called, a higher c-bet, considering you know he is loose, you don't want to risk him sticking around fishing and hitting.