OOP vs loose rec

GDBPoker

GDBPoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I came across a few situations the other day vs a rec with 65/48. I found myself with hands that I wasn't sure how to proceed with when facing a raise pre from this player, whilst in the SB, from levels 3-6 of a regular speed mtt.

An example was villain was UTG+3 and raised 4x (their standard rfi amount) and I had AJo in SB. We were both 40bb deep and it had folded around to me, and the player in BB was 16/9 so unlikely to hear from them unless they woke up with a top hand.

I remember I was losing my patience with this player, and I shoved, and when reviewing this today I was shocked to see what I did there. The only justification I can find here is that I wanted to play the hand, and 3 betting is almost stack committing here anyway, and villains of these types are rarely folding to 3 bets. So my shove was pretty much a "please fold" move rather than smart poker.

So facing a crappy flop OOP with just a little over a pot size bet behind will be a really uncomfortable spot for me, of my 4 choices pre, a 3 bet seems to be the worst. 4x seems too high to call being OOP, though I'd like to hear the arguments for and against calling this. So to me shoving and folding are the top 2 choices, but one looks like a clear favourite, which is fold and move on. What are peoples opinions? And apart from top hands, what is everyone doing here with suited connectors, small pairs etc?

Cheers

F

Fussy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You gotta get this dude by surprise and when he 3bets you you can put him all in and score