Multi way pots early on in micro MTTs

S

shannonknowles

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm working on my tournament game and would like others opinion on if this is a "correct" approach for some situations during a micro MTT

As some players will call, call raises and also raise with ANYTHING early in micro MTTs even if you stick to a premium hand range during the early stages is it wise to stay away from multi-way pots with more than a quarter of the table involved? My theory is patience will bring better opportunities without taking the bigger risk of losing chips by playing with so many maniacs early on or would you be playing to tight in order to progress to the mid stage of the tournament?

This theory is only for micro MTTs and only for the early stages.

Randall McMurphy

Randall McMurphy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's good to play the maniacs before other people get their chips. It's fine to be playing drawing hands for cheap. Raise big with QQ-AA.
AK early is different. I don't like to go nuts early in that situation. Maybe a 3BB raise. Check/fold if you miss the flop. Not the time to bluff multi-way.

B

buster999

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to play suited connectors and pocket pairs early in mtts in position are multiway pot. There good at winning multiway pots and play good against premimum hands with good implied odds, becuase alot of players in micro mtts can't fold there strong starting hand once they hit.

snklzona

snklzona

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's good to play the maniacs before other people get their chips. It's fine to be playing drawing hands for cheap. Raise big with QQ-AA.
AK early is different. I don't like to go nuts early in that situation. Maybe a 3BB raise. Check/fold if you miss the flop. Not the time to bluff multi-way.

+1 could not agree more and totally love your avatar...classic movie

triplesyxx

triplesyxx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

if its a multiway pot and you have AKs shove alll dayyy long.

AugustWest

AugustWest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Early levels are frustrating to me.
QQ UTG +1 raise 3X get a call and RR so shove as I'm down to >20BB's.
Flop a Q but the guy who RR'd had J8o and hit a straight....
This was a freeroll, so I guess I'm not surprised.
Buster, you say you play pp's/sc in position. I'm assuming you are talking about limped pots?

Randall McMurphy

Randall McMurphy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
+1 could not agree more and totally love your avatar...classic movie

Thank you, :cool: *flashes two thumbs up before electro shock therapy up in the disturbed ward*

"You and me Chief."

Wolfpack43ACC

Wolfpack43ACC

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not sure how you can even strategize for micros tbh, it's a complete mixed bag full of a ton of really unrealistic poker maneuvers. I wouldn't get too cute in micros and would play pretty standard ABC poker, our opponents usually aren't the savviest so you can get away with it.

Let the maniacs throw their chips around while you sit back and bide your time. Maniacs half the time are so caught up in their craziness they have no idea what their opponents are playing like, they are just looking for action. When the blinds start to get up there and the bubble fast approaches is where we chip up, even more so in micros where you got the scared I don't want to go busto, I just want to min cash so I can keep playing players.

S

shannonknowles

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not sure how you can even strategize for micros tbh, it's a complete mixed bag full of a ton of really unrealistic poker maneuvers. I wouldn't get too cute in micros and would play pretty standard ABC poker, our opponents usually aren't the savviest so you can get away with it.

Let the maniacs throw their chips around while you sit back and bide your time. Maniacs half the time are so caught up in their craziness they have no idea what their opponents are playing like, they are just looking for action. When the blinds start to get up there and the bubble fast approaches is where we chip up, even more so in micros where you got the scared I don't want to go busto, I just want to min cash so I can keep playing players.

This is the best reply +10 for this

A

anderson1313

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the strategy I use is to always play hands premiums at the beginning and then go dropping the game

imafish

imafish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First two levels, if there are multiple limps in front, I'd limp with small-medium pocket pairs, suited connectors, broadways, and suited aces. The idea is to try to get in a big multiway pot as cheaply as possible and hit a big hand and win a big pot. On the flop, if you don't hit your big hand or draw, just fold. No biggie, the cost was minimal.