Minimum raise

M

maryz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
What is the minimum raise when you hold AJo or A10o, EP and LP?

Marcwantstowin

Marcwantstowin

Member of the T.S.T
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Mary. I think it all depends on your opposition and how confident you feel against them. A lot of people might say you just fold those hands in early position no matter who you are playing.

If you are on the button and no raises in front of you, you may min bet with them, but it all depends on your opposition.

There are alot of threads on here about tactics ~ have a read and you'll find out. Gl in the future. :D:D:D Marc

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It only depends on the size of the stack and ante in the game.

Example if you have more 30bb EP only fold, LP raise 3bb, less 30bb when ante in the game EP or LP raise 2bb. If less 14bb only shove.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
really the best sizing is the smallest bet that will get the desired results

E

Evgeniy_K

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In small blandes, i think need to raise 3-4BB, but then blandes so big(start midl game) u cann use raise 2BB.
Sorry for bad EN)

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
depends on your stack size. If it's early stages and you're deep, raise to 3bb, if early mid, raise to 2.5x, if mid-late stage and your stack is <50bb, just minraise.

B

bbiase

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Early in a tournament you don't want to raise these kinds of hands early position, imo. Early in tournaments people are still deepstacked and trying to play some implied odds hands and a lot of multi-way pots are held. These two hands are hands that flops well but they are not exactly the kind of hands that you want to play with 2+ people acting behind you.

If you really want to play those hands you gotta make big raises, which sometimes may be not profitable, since you are likely to still get called by strong ranges, with position on you.

Deep in a tournament, like, bubble, I min raise, 2.2x, 2.35x these hands from utg, depends on how loose the field is calling.

J

johnsonrod

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try to keep your raises the same regardless of your hands. 3or4 BB should be about right but keep it consistent. And you should be trying to raise more than you call.
As for AJo or ATo it would depend on a lot more info.
Do NOT min raise as you're just inviting trouble.

When they see AA or KK with a 3bb raise they will far more likely fold to your ATo with the same 3bb raise

Last edited by a moderator:
IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
My pre-flop raise and post-flop bet sizes are pretty standard. My standard raise is 3x BB + 1x for each limper in front of me, up to 5x. Post-flop, I will generally bet 2/3 of the pot. I will raise the same with hands in the top of my range as with hands in the bottom of my range so as not to give away the strength of my hand by the size of my bet. Some players feel the need to raise a little more from earlier position. I do not. Rather than raise more or less, I simply choose not to play hands in the lower part of my range from early position.

Some players are will raise more and call much wider early in tourney because the amounts seem small. But it is important to realize that the bet sizes are relative to the blinds. Calling a 60 in the first level of a tourney when the blinds are 10/20 doesn't seem like that much. But imagine calling my 3x pre-flop raise with a marginal hand. The blinds fold and we see a flop heads up. Now imagine calling my 2/3 pot sized bets on the flop, turn and river with middle pair and losing. See what it does to your chip stack.

Trust me. A 3x pre-flop raise is enough.

PokerGrinder

PokerGrinder

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Blind level, blinds and position are very important in determining your decision with these hands.

I'd muck these hands most of the times unless I'm short stacked or in late position with no action before me.

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Lewa12

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is a risk to fall under the domination. However, you can inflate the bank and will be a pity to give. AJo or A10o, EP and LP -- not the strongest card.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The standard raise is 3x the big blind.

Agree above, consider many things before raising these hands like blind level, stack size and lastly position.

S

subdylzep

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This question is too generalized. You can raise as little as the min raise or as high as 10x the blind if you want. It depends on the table you are playing at, is it a loose or tight table? Are you in early or late position? Do you have plenty of chips or are you short stacked? What stage in the tournament are you in? There are plenty of factors that come into play when opening a hand. You should take all into consideration when opening with a hand like A10 or AJo. Personally, A10o is my least favorite hand in poker by far. I hate it, absolutely hate it, i never win with it and its not very strong so personally I limp the hand or fold it if im going to play it at all. If im going to raise it, its usually 2.5x the blind and only from late position in isolation when nobody else has limped, and generally only on a tight table. When opening a hand i almost always raise around the same 2.5x - 3.5x the blind. Personally, 2.5x the blind is a little better becasue after 4 raises you have another one instead of raising 3x the blind you can get one more open raise out of it mathmatically. I think its important to keep your raises preflop all around the same amount to mask what cards you are opening with. A raise is a raise, but when you start raising different amounts to open with different cards it will give your opponents a chance to catch a read on you. Now early in low buy in tournaments i will raise high PPs around 10x the blind just to keep everyone else out that may have suited connectors or just junk hands. But late in a tournament i tighten up and keep my raises preflop all around the same amount so that my AJo raise is the same as my AA raise preflop, i dont want anyone to get a read on my hands. I would stress that you keep all your raises around the same amount preflop unless its early in the tournament and you have a really strong preflop hand. Good luck at the tables.