Looking for good advice and articles to read regarding micro-stake SnG's.

Lord Foldemort

Lord Foldemort

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys, I've decided that I want to take a shot at online poker after watching so many different shows on poker, notably the Big Game and the wsop Main Event. I want to start off small, playing dollar tournaments and SnG's and gradually build my experience and bankroll, and if it works out for me, move on to higher buy-ins.

I just signed up for Carbon Poker but I have yet to make a deposit. I wanted to get the basics down before I even try to play a game there. So can anyone offer me some advice about what I should and should not be doing, what I should read up on to get the fundamentals down, etc? I want to be a profitable player and not just another fish for people to exploit.

What should my starting bankroll be, assuming I want to play micro-stake games like $1 9-man SnG's?

Edit: After checking out the tables at Carbon, the micro stake SNG's hardly have any player traffic. Is there any site I could go to that has more player action for a U.S player at the micro stakes?

Last edited:
Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If you want to start out with SnG's I would strongly recommend picking up a copy of Collin Moshman's Sit 'n Go Strategy. In the beginning, you will often be mercilessly exploited but don't let this get you down, just keep studying and playing and you will improve. There are also some articles on CardsChat that discuss hand selection, position, and other topics for new players.

You didn't say how much experience you already have; if you have absolutely no poker experience at all, I would recommend that you not deposit yet until you get a little bit of play under your belt.

Play money tables are a good way to get started on practicing the basics of betting, position, calculating pot odds, and more, just make sure you don't stay there too long because the way people play at play money tables bears no resemblance to real money. Also, you can try freerolls, although these will generally be MTT's, however they are a great way to get experience at no cost. Black Chip Poker has $10 on-demand freerolls going 24/7, and of course there is the freeroll club available here which is the best deal you will find anywhere.

Bovada has more traffic in SnG's than Carbon, they recently introduced $1 STT's with 10 minute blind levels which is great because all they had in the past for this buy-in were super turbos with 3 minute levels.

Good luck with your future endeavors:)

rickypr18

rickypr18

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lord Foldemort

Just want to say that I like your name.

Lord Foldemort

Lord Foldemort

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you want to start out with SnG's I would strongly recommend picking up a copy of Collin Moshman's Sit 'n Go Strategy. In the beginning, you will often be mercilessly exploited but don't let this get you down, just keep studying and playing and you will improve. There are also some articles on CardsChat that discuss hand selection, position, and other topics for new players.

You didn't say how much experience you already have; if you have absolutely no poker experience at all, I would recommend that you not deposit yet until you get a little bit of play under your belt.

Play money tables are a good way to get started on practicing the basics of betting, position, calculating pot odds, and more, just make sure you don't stay there too long because the way people play at play money tables bears no resemblance to real money. Also, you can try freerolls, although these will generally be MTT's, however they are a great way to get experience at no cost. Black Chip Poker has $10 on-demand freerolls going 24/7, and of course there is the freeroll club available here which is the best deal you will find anywhere.

Bovada has more traffic in SnG's than Carbon, they recently introduced $1 STT's with 10 minute blind levels which is great because all they had in the past for this buy-in were super turbos with 3 minute levels.

Good luck with your future endeavors:)

I have a little, but not much. And both Carbon and Bovada are showing very little SnG traffic at the micro stakes. I want a site that allows U.S players where the SnG's fill very quickly instead of having to wait 20 or 30 minutes for a table.

Diogo Jorge

Diogo Jorge

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys, I've decided that I want to take a shot at online poker after watching so many different shows on poker, notably the Big Game and the WSOP Main Event. I want to start off small, playing dollar tournaments and SnG's and gradually build my experience and bankroll, and if it works out for me, move on to higher buy-ins.

I just signed up for Carbon Poker but I have yet to make a deposit. I wanted to get the basics down before I even try to play a game there. So can anyone offer me some advice about what I should and should not be doing, what I should read up on to get the fundamentals down, etc? I want to be a profitable player and not just another fish for people to exploit.

What should my starting bankroll be, assuming I want to play micro-stake games like $1 9-man SnG's?

Edit: After checking out the tables at Carbon, the micro stake SNG's hardly have any player traffic. Is there any site I could go to that has more player action for a U.S player at the micro stakes?

You should have 100 buy-ins in your bankroll if you want to play well and play with the varience!

T

tmw360

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
the carbon traffic is not all that bad on micro sng, as I play a lot of the dbl or nothing 1.10 sng's at carbon and play there reg sng 2.20
Bovada is also awesome too I love the triple ups