A little doubt

luizmarinho

luizmarinho

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello,

I was watching some online turbo tournaments with high buy in ($100+) and I could see that more than 70% of hands are decided on flip (all in before flop), ok it was on ITM but well... The most of players are supernova so I can assure they play better than me but is different for what I see on live tournaments, can someone explain how is part of strategy ? I mean sometimes flip is ok and is a part of poker but does that reduces poker to a luck game and dont skill. Can someone explain me why they do that alot ?
sorry for bad english...

KrazyKoo

KrazyKoo

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
In turbo tournaments most players are under 10 big blinds at middle stage of tournament least at ITM. And most optimal play with less than 10 biebers is to push all in to not get blinded out. Raising and not committing is not good at all (too low amount of big blinds to play flop, turn and river optimally). Standard ABC poker.

Learning poker is step by step progress. If you keep learning turbos and you comeback after 6 months to this thread you laugh at yourself for not knowing this strategy. I laughed myself today for the plays I made 1 week ago.

Last edited:
JohnCPoker17

JohnCPoker17

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, to add to the previous comment about being blinded early in the tournament (versus standard/slow speed tournaments), it is important to note that there is a lot of variance and downswings that come along with the turbo format. This means you must establish a large enough bankroll to accommodate for that variance.

westside1950

westside1950

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nothing much to understand - ypur stack becomes shallow very fast so you have to push or call with a lot of pocket pairs and good/strong aces.
Flipping is the normal part of those kind of tournaments :D

W

Weissr

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In these turbo tournaments, once you are in the money the stacks typically become quite shallow so you have to play hands or just blind out (and nobody wants that) and it becomes more of a gamble. A lot of times it's even profitable to shove junk hands just to pick up the pot (player dependent) because the size of the pots PF versus stack sizes becomes huge.

luizmarinho

luizmarinho

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, I'm changing my mind... Just had a lot of bad beats so I was wondering that was a lucky game, but no problem to push with good pockets or strong aces, sometimes you will win and sometimes loses, its part of the game :p

juanchoak

juanchoak

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the flip (all in preflop) is one of the worst moves in poker,your risking all your chips to a coin flip, sometimes not even aces survive those things, but a lot of players do it. Its respectable, i think in a game of many variations and situations like poker no one has the last word, sometimes playing backwards strategy is good for disguising the way ppl think you play.

PokerGrinder

PokerGrinder

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The allin preflop flip is a horrible decision to me, not unless your short stacked. But, early in the tournament, it's not a good idea.

S

subdylzep

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is done becasue most of the time when you are in the money in a turbo tournament your stack isnt high enough to play any hands to the fullest extent. It is better to flip when you are down to say 10-15 BBs left in a tournament and then once everyone has 30-40 BBs left you will start to see poker again. This happens a lot in every tournament at some point but the slower the blinds the more unlikely it is that it will happen, just as well if the blinds are super fast there will be more and more coinflips getting in, sometimes even an entire tourney when you dont have many chips and blinds last like 2 mins. These players may have been really good but they knew that in this tournament that they were playing more on luck because the blinds were quicker, and more than likely their bankroll affords them the opportunity to play some tournaments like that. If they play longer tournaments you will see less and less people getting in on coinflips. Its just becasue of the type of game they were playing, not because that is the kind of player they are.

luizmarinho

luizmarinho

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is done becasue most of the time when you are in the money in a turbo tournament your stack isnt high enough to play any hands to the fullest extent. It is better to flip when you are down to say 10-15 BBs left in a tournament and then once everyone has 30-40 BBs left you will start to see poker again. This happens a lot in every tournament at some point but the slower the blinds the more unlikely it is that it will happen, just as well if the blinds are super fast there will be more and more coinflips getting in, sometimes even an entire tourney when you dont have many chips and blinds last like 2 mins. These players may have been really good but they knew that in this tournament that they were playing more on luck because the blinds were quicker, and more than likely their bankroll affords them the opportunity to play some tournaments like that. If they play longer tournaments you will see less and less people getting in on coinflips. Its just becasue of the type of game they were playing, not because that is the kind of player they are.

Yes I see that... Just went to a FT in a regular tournament and still the blinds are to high to action post flop