Large stack late in MTT

L

Lounice35

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I could make more money sitting out late with a large stack..bc how do I fold AK to jj when I haven't seen good cards for so long...but the person raising has me covered.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think I could make more money sitting out late with a large stack..bc how do I fold AK to jj when I haven't seen good cards for so long...but the person raising has me covered.

Assuming the above, wouldn't your best move be to not enter the tourney. :cool:

micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
lol kenzie

now you're playing to win lounice, not just min cash
if your afraid of a big stack- just fold and wait for another hand
or play good cards hard and hope for some luck,
if you throw it allin and hit, then you double your stack
then you make way more than sitting out to just cash a bit
it is poker, it is gambling
grow the balls or find a new hobby;)

btw- 1 good final tbl win is worth way more than many small cashes
and theres always varience- AA gets cracked too

if it was on the bubble i may consider a fold, but get it in good when you can...
what did you do?

L

Lounice35

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thanks for the sarcasm...its not helpful...I called with AK and got wiied out for 2 bucks..placing 14th.first was $57....And I would have made final table for sure if I satout so I don't know what you guys r talking about. Based on other stacks I'm sure I woulda made it.

Maybe I would come back and shove when I got to 10 bb.

People talk so much crap about how good they are...Hogwash...its way mor luck than skill especially in tournaments...real skill Chess!

Last edited by a moderator:
TylerN

TylerN

Kool-Aid & Frozen Pizza
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
People talk so much crap about how good they are...Hogwash...its way mor luck than skill especially in tournaments...real skill Chess!

so if i have 2 pawns and a King left...u think u could beat me with 4 queens and 3 kings?

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Yea dude but no money in chess unless your 2200.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
so if i have 2 pawns and a King left...u think u could beat me with 4 queens and 3 kings?

probably not based on what hes said in this thread.

TylerN

TylerN

Kool-Aid & Frozen Pizza
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thanks for the sarcasm...its not helpful...I called with AK and got wiied out for 2 bucks..placing 14th.first was $57....And I would have made final table for sure if I satout so I don't know what you guys r talking about. Based on other stacks I'm sure I woulda made it.

i dont think u understand the significance of $2....u can buy 2 mcdoubles, like 4 gumballs, some stickers, paper, down payment on a maxim magazine subscription

youregoodmate

youregoodmate

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i dont think u understand the significance of $2....u can buy 2 mcdoubles, like 4 gumballs, some stickers, paper, down payment on a maxim magazine subscription

I think your sister costs a similar amount.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
shit just got real

L

Lounice35

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
late mtt

Where's the moderator...maybe one quality post out of all of these.

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I just watched a $100K tourney play out. As I began to watch it was down to ten players on two tables. One particular player caught my eye right away. He was one of the short stacks. I watched him lose a flip and drop from 7th to 10th. A few hands later he went all-in and took down a pot. A few hands after that he doubled up through the player he had lost the previous coin flip to.

As the final table started he was 8th out of 9 players. As the final table progressed it became obvious to me that this palyer was fearless, picking off bluffs with nothing but a small pair, putting his opponents to the test with aggressive bets and raises, and making more than a couple tough calls for all of his chips. He seemed to pick his spots well, knowing when to play back at someone and when to muck.

With about six players left, a couple observers began speculating as to who might eventually win. Of course, the chip leader was favored, and understandably so, having not only the lead, but more than a 3 to 1 advantage over the closest stack. My thoughts were that the player that had caught my attention by showing no fear stood a strong chance, even though he was only in fourth with six left. To me it seemed the fact that he wasn't afraid to lose gave him a strong shot to win. And that is exactly what he did. He went from being the short stack with ten players left to a 20.5K payday because he wasn't afraid to take a shot at victory. That's the only way you're going to win.

Play to win. Good luck.

Last edited:
Blobweird123

Blobweird123

CC's very own Dead Head
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Where's the moderator...maybe one quality post out of all of these.

One person said one little joke and you got bent out of shape. Onlu person needing moderating is yourself at this point

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

dont play tournaments

Lucothefish

Lucothefish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lounice35, trying to fold your way up the payout ladder is a loser's play. You're not a loser, are you?

1st place usually pays around twice as much as 2nd and 10 times as much as 10th, so play to win and not to cash.

While on some level you're right that you do need a lot of luck in any individual MTT, over a large sample the better players will always win more.

As for the responses in this thread... any posts that whine about poker being mostly luck (and suggesting that we call go play chess) is going to evoke some humorous responses because it's such a noobish thing to say. If you play poker you will lose a lot of hands, get used to it.

IntenseHeat and micalupagoo have both made excellent responses. Mine is both constructive and harsh but I've had my deep MTT runs blown to smithereens by far, far worse spots than AK < JJ and I've never felt the need to come on here and whine about it. Evolve beyond caring and gl

L

Lounice35

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whining???? That's your opinion. I started the post to get real info..not bs..Ive seen many players playing the blind out role and getting further than the big stack MANY times...if you haven't played this way how do you really know..and y are so many players doing it? Obviously I play to win but I'm kinda tired of losing flips...especially when the money isn't good yet...I haven't played any other way yet.

L

Lounice35

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you read the whole thread the first person writes don't enter the tourney...really?? How about don't comment.

Lucothefish

Lucothefish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whining???? That's your opinion. I started the post to get real info..not bs..Ive seen many players playing the blind out role and getting further than the big stack MANY times...if you haven't played this way how do you really know..and y are so many players doing it? Obviously I play to win but I'm kinda tired of losing flips...especially when the money isn't good yet...I haven't played any other way yet.

You will see all sorts of plays in MTTs but that doesn't make them right. FYI I have played that way - it's what I now call 'scared money'.

If you really want to fold your way up the pay ladder then nobody is going to stop you. Let someone else get the lion's share of the money, fold away and be happy about it. If you're tired of losing a deep run then play the 90/45/27/18 mans instead so at least you can just load up another one when you do lose a flip.