KTo in BB, short-stacked deep in MTT

D

DrVanNostrand

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Here is a situation that came up in a freeroll MTT I played earlier today, in which I ended up placing 50th in a field of 1204 (I busted out about 7 hands after this one).

Blinds 750/1500. Ante 150. My chipstack has dwindled down to a measly 2230, less than 2 BB's.

UTG, UTG+1 fold.
Next player raises to 3000 with :qs4: :9h4: .
The next two players fold.
The cutoff goes all-in for his remaining 5230, holding :ac4: :qd4: .
Button, SB fold. I also fold from the BB, holding :kd4: :10c4: .

So my question is, should I have just rolled the dice here with what I had, given how short-stacked I was at that point? Normally I'd fold this hand for sure in this spot behind a raise and re-raise, but I mean at this point in the tournament is this a gamble I should have taken? I ended up busting out 7 hands later anyway.

I think I know the answer to this question - yes, of course I should have gone all-in - but I guess I'd also be interested in some opinions on playing this hand if I had, say, 8-10 BB's left or something like that instead. Still short-stacked, but not on the cusp of being blinded away like I was here.

Also, in case you're wondering:

The flop came :kh4: :ks4: :10s4:
Turn :kc4:
River: :2s4:

Not really relevant to my question but yeah, in hindsight I kinda wish I just shoved :)

lulu pk

lulu pk

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
2 big i go all in whit 7 2.
KT is like AA whit 2 blind...

M

matiusaa

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The cards that came on the flop turn and river are irrelevant. The question you are asking is wrong, you cannot play hands with the stack you have. With less than 2bb going all in with almost any hand is ok. Getting KT in your situation, is like getting aces in the early stages of the tournament. If you fold, you probably won't get a better hand before you were blinded out. Here it was all in clearly

D

DrVanNostrand

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the replies...I'll keep this in mind for next time. So, at what point in a mtt should I start thinking "I'm all-in with any halfway decent cards"? How many BB's?

W

willbec1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the replies...I'll keep this in mind for next time. So, at what point in a mtt should I start thinking "I'm all-in with any halfway decent cards"? How many BB's?

That's a bit hard to answer, as with everything in poker "it depends"

But i would say, when you get to around 15bb it should send a caution sign of "Uh-Oh" soon the blinds are going to go up. By the time you get to about 10bb your looking to ship anything decent. But the majority of the profitability from shoving, is your fold equity, so to end i'll leave you with one of my favorite quotes when it comes to shoving.

"Be Fast, But Be First"

aero87

aero87

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You had 74% of your chips in the pot pre flop. You need to call with any 2 cards here. Also you are getting an opportunity to more than triple up. This spot was your LAST chance.

Next hand you are all in for less than the SB with virtually no chance whatsoever to come back.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Yes. You are getting HUGE odds and if you get lucky enough to win the hand you'll at least quadruple up to a stack that might even give you a fighting chance whereas if you fold, even if you get AA in SB on next hand (& it holds up) you're still going to be in really, really bad shape!

You should be looking for spots long before being in a spot like this one. On 8-10bb's and on tables with many other ss's, you're not looking to be 3rd allin but instead need to be looking to be open-shoving while you still have fold equity. And when deeper than this you should be looking for spots where you can re-steal shove over LP steals (ie. players who appear to be raising often in LP to steal blinds... ship it over top while on 15-20bb's).

Last edited:
R

ricky1570

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
yes u should of pushed in this situation. with less then two big blinds in big blind I would of pushed with almost any king or ace with pot odds and it being my only chance plus with k10 people don't give that hand much credit but I think its a great hand and in ur sit I would of pushed in a heart beat

DevilMe03

DevilMe03

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would push with any two cards here. You should give yourself better chance when you have 10-12 BB. 10-12 BB is perfect for short stack play and try to open shove when folded to you. You will have better fold equity with this stack.
"Get rich or die trying"

steveiam

steveiam

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Instant shove for me. Anything less than 10 bb with no action in front of you is always going to be a shove with virtually ant 2 cards.