Just can't seem to take the 1st place?

J

jangalang37

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Has anyone ever sat at a table against someone who you seem to keep getting better pre flop cards than them but they seem to keep hitting the river and killing your hand? Not just once or twice or even 5 times in one game. I just sat in a 10$ buy in sit n go and kept getting beat by the same guy consistently. I would take some he would take some then every time him and I were in a pot, he would win at the showdown. It came down to it and I took second. but I had A10 off he had K10 and won. I lost almost all my stack. I get back up to about half what he had then I get Q10 to his 910 all in pre flop and yet again he ****in wins???? Ok maybe the odds are in my favor but come on. I lose yet time after time. I would get back up to chip lead then I'd get screwed on another call. Finally I'm up against the ropes with A9 I shove my 2k chips left and he has 77 flop comes out A 77 are you ****ing kidding me? Like seriously how many times can one person ****ing get this lucky. He was slightly favored to win the hand pre flop but almost every other hand I had him Dominated pre flop.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and was as mad about it as I currently am. I recognize I am on tilt and am done playing for the evening and possibly even tomorrow. I get bad beats happen. I have been playing long enough to be able to handle my fair share of ups and downs in the scene. Yet, I have never experienced such a monstrosity.

End Rant.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Making the proper decisions & getting your money in good is the point. Do not be results orientated.

J

jangalang37

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's the thing though, I should have made an extra 20$ in profit on that one sitting. Where as now I made $20 less which is basically the same as losing 20 bucks.

steveiam

steveiam

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes players just get lucky and there's nothing you can do about that. If you played him another 10 times and make the same decisions you would win far more than he would.

T

tohos

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea this happens alot. Happened to me while I was test running 6 max hypers. I didn't have the time to be mad with joining new tables and closing the pop up lobbys. Have to find a way to not make them auto pop up if I try again lol.

S

SinkieCon

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
dude I know your pain these people seriously put me on REALLY bad tilt, and I get some mad, recently I've decided that I'm no longer putting a dime into poker, and I'm grinding the Open Leagues which for some reason I'm doing a LOT better in haha, Anyway all you have to do is suck it up in the long run you'll have more luck than he will.

zarzar78

zarzar78

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Have played poker for more than 10 years and i ve got this 2 or 3 times, it was on MTT and have lost 5 or 6 times against the same player when getting the best odds preflop, this will happen for everyone cause poker is not mathematic but probability, so don t be dessapointed and keep playing your best poker, and take a break when you are in the beggining of a downswing.
Good Luck in the tables

left52side

left52side

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Making the proper decisions & getting your money in good is the point. Do not be results orientated.
+ 1

I am always satified if not happy with the outcome as long as I get my chips in good,the cards will fall how they will,you cannot beat yourself up over the outcome,it is how they fall and move on to the next hand is all you can do.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One of the many reasons I prefer stacking my tables is that it takes the focus off of the results of the hand and makes the focus on what I can control-- playing every hand as well as I can.

The highest $ bad beat I've ever had was in the wsop main event a couple years ago. In the money with about 450 left, I got it in with AA versus TT as a guy at the table told me he folded a T, and there was a T on the flop. I busted, but reminded myself that I had sucked out earlier in the tournament. Focusing on when we run good can help us to deal with when we run bad. :)

rancidcarp

rancidcarp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes someone is running so good doesnt matter what you have or what you do. best to avoid those kinds for a while. Keep emotions out of it

zegaum

zegaum

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It has to be very quiet. Under these conditions it is easy to go on tilt ...

dealio96

dealio96

The LAG Monkeys
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't let short-term variance get to your head.

JustDestined

JustDestined

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know it can be frustrating but as long as you are getting in good, nothing to worry about. I always think to myself if I got in like my opponent in that situation then I'd have reason to be tilted.

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
This happens to everyone in both directions, I've had games where I couldn't seem to get a dominating hand to win and games where I made every dumb mistake in existence and kept getting paid.

No hand is 100% to win pre-flop, this is so obvious that it shouldn't be mentioned but we have to make sure we don't fall into the trap of thinking that we're entitled to the pot because we had the best hand pre-flop, then going on tilt when we lose to a weaker hand.

Dominated hands will still win 30% of the time, it's certainly frustrating when you have AK vs A2 and a 2 hits the board on the river, but that's going to happen 3 out of 10 times on average.