Isle of man main event starting day selection

zveri666

zveri666

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Next week im going to isle of man to play the main event. The buy in is 1100 pounds. There will be 600 players, including many pros such as daniel negreanu. The tournament has 2 starting days (1A is thursday and 1B is friday). Then on saturday both fields combine and the battle it down to the final table until sunday. The final table is then played on monday.

I have no experience with such big tournaments (i won entrance from a freeroll).

I am given the choice of selecting the starting day. Is there any strategy to selecting on which day you start? Do you guys think i should start on thursday then have an one day break? Or start friday?

Any advice is appreciated. Also note that i will be there since wednesday, so travel\ time wont be an issue.

U

Under_EV

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Traditionally, Day 1B is the one the pros chose as it allows them to knock a day off hotel / accommodation. Make of that what you will.

ccocco

ccocco

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you earned that chance .. you have to take it to the fullest. the advice depends on objective you set. that's where you have to put everything to try to keep it, if you want to go far, much pasiencia .. lucky and you meet your goal .. regards

zveri666

zveri666

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Traditionally, Day 1B is the one the pros chose as it allows them to knock a day off hotel / accommodation. Make of that what you will.

So what you are saying is that day 1A will have a easier playing field? That makes sense. I think i will choose that as my starting day

Jagsti

Jagsti

I'm sweet enough!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've played in a couple of these. As has been said day 1b will usually have more pros in it than day 1a. Be prepared for a very long day if you last it. In the UKIPT at London last month the day lasted from 12pm to 12am with a 15 min break every 2 hours. Nice structure with 1hr levels.

zveri666

zveri666

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I really really hope i make it. Im def at a disadvantage since the biggest tournament ive been thus far was 100$ and it was a turbo. Even online, i only play turbos since thats what im best at. Im thinking of downloading a book that could help me with these types of non turbo live tournaments and read it on the plane. Any suggestions on books?

C

cotta777

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So what you are saying is that day 1A will have a easier playing field? That makes sense. I think i will choose that as my starting day

1b could be a tougher field in addition 1a means you can get rest and be fresh for the second day. I know a few guys who all reccomend the early finish for day one.

thats pretty well going on winning a seat via freeroll, effectively 2 large tournaments consecutively.

eat well keep yourself hydrated and remember if your table has online qualifiers they are probably more scared than you are keep your eyes for clams,

rdm4k

rdm4k

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really really hope i make it. Im def at a disadvantage since the biggest tournament ive been thus far was 100$ and it was a turbo. Even online, i only play turbos since thats what im best at. Im thinking of downloading a book that could help me with these types of non turbo live tournaments and read it on the plane. Any suggestions on books?

not for strategy but for live tells. mike caro's pro tells is nutz.
poker is poker, and u would not improve your game in a flight...anyway

C

cotta777

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
not for strategy but for live tells. mike caro's pro tells is nutz.
poker is poker, and u would not improve your game in a flight...anyway

the safe option is to play solid and tight, in position.
and hope you get a big hand or 2.

then at leastyou have a very tight image later which will give you credit
3-betting later on or semi bluffing - all you can do is hope.

I can tell you that alot of the best tournament players in the world will seldom push all in or 4-bet large - if you are prepared to take a risk their are alot of pros who will give up the hand as they prefer to accumalate chips rather than toss for them without a top 7% hand

bkniefel

bkniefel

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Next week im going to isle of man to play the main event. The buy in is 1100 pounds. There will be 600 players, including many pros such as daniel negreanu. The tournament has 2 starting days (1A is thursday and 1B is friday). Then on saturday both fields combine and the battle it down to the final table until sunday. The final table is then played on monday.

I have no experience with such big tournaments (i won entrance from a freeroll).

I am given the choice of selecting the starting day. Is there any strategy to selecting on which day you start? Do you guys think i should start on thursday then have an one day break? Or start friday?

Any advice is appreciated. Also note that i will be there since wednesday, so travel\ time wont be an issue.

congrats man! that is going to be thrilling to go! make sure you go in level headed and have fun, take it in!

as far as advice.. my friends play some tournaments like that and usually they hop right in because they play them often howerever, given that its your first time and travel (i dont know the dates) i would rail the thursday and start on friday.. that way you can get a good look at the structure and atmosphere.. just my opion but do what feels right for you.

zveri666

zveri666

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I ended up playing day 1B. I played a 100 pounds side event the day before just to get a feel of it and got 34th out of 140 or so.
I made it to money in day 2 and busted with under an hour to go till day 3. Shoved KQsuited with 12 Bigs and got called by AQ. Cashed 2860 pounds, oh what a great run. Had tons of fun. Crazy week this has been.

scorpion1367

scorpion1367

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
congrats on the cash and experience zveri666 .........scorp

lulu pk

lulu pk

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nice, for your first big live tournament...
Congrats

R

RNG

Enthusiast
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I ended up playing day 1B. I played a 100 pounds side event the day before just to get a feel of it and got 34th out of 140 or so.
I made it to money in day 2 and busted with under an hour to go till day 3. Shoved KQsuited with 12 Bigs and got called by AQ. Cashed 2860 pounds, oh what a great run. Had tons of fun. Crazy week this has been.

Nice job, musta been a great experience with not having any experiencr with big events. Congrats on the cash.

I

indahood193

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
nice one, well played! must have been a great experience. i tried to qualify but didn't manage to :( was just wondering how tough you felt the field was? i can't really imagine a ton of Recs playing there as it isn't too convenient for a lot of people i would assume, not in London or whatever and not as advertised and prestigious as wsop Main of course. like what % would you say were pro's and recs and how good were the pros? not Negreanu etc just the av one. just for in the future i may play in these so would be nice for some insight in to how they play.

C

cotta777

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Zveri666

Well done on the cash mate. was the cash in the main or side?

How did you approach the tournament in the end, did you play your usual style or did you clam up due to the occasion

S

stubbie32

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very well played mate that is an excellent effort.:cool: