Identifying Stages of a Tournament?

R

rako32

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry if this a noob question, but I've been playing NLHE Poker only for a few months. I'm currently trying to read all the free information available online and learn as much as possible the strategies involved in becoming a successful MTT Player. Don't really plan on ever getting into cash games.

Basically, how do I exactly identify the middle stage and late stages of a tournament? Is it done based on blind structure? or based on the player field? For instance if its a 5,000 max player freeroll tourney, at what point do I realize that, OK now we're in the middle stages or in the late stages etc..?

Strategy articles I've read says to loosen up or tighten up according to the various stages of a tournament, but I'm really struggling to identify those appropriately. :eek: Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Salvete777

Salvete777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If we talk about freeroll - In my opinion there late stages start's when all sitting out players are knocked out.

Diogo Jorge

Diogo Jorge

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion middle stage begins when the tourney has 30-50% of the people playing, while late stage begins when you have 10 -15% of them that means peeople ITM! But it depends how much big is the tourney.

A

aina27

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If we talk about freeroll - In my opinion there late stages start's when all sitting out players are knocked out.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe its base on blind structure.

If you see many are not desperate base on blinds over stacks, then that would be early and middle stages.

If you see left and right shoving base on blinds over stacks, then your now entering the late stages.

Henry Minute

Henry Minute

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are aiming to boost your post count please remember that they have to be quality posts. Copying someone else's post word for word doesn't count.

Martinez

Martinez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find that depending on the tourney size, the mid range strts after the first break when most of the idiot players are taken out. The later stage after the second break and the blinds and antes come to play more is when you start to see the better players stil left in start to make there moves as they understand the odds and percentages better.
Todays betting structure seems sometimes to defy the what is written in the books as there are people who just like to gamble no matter what.

freeringo

freeringo

2019-20-21 League Champs
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
patience and position betting is most important

S

SwiftHax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Middle stage - 50-20% of the player pool is remaining, the bubble is close.

Late stage - Once you get into the money, I think you could consider it the late stage.

Jackdaclown

Jackdaclown

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree and believe it is based on the blinds and what level you are at. Also I am not for certain on that. This a great question. Whether it is the blinds or the amount of ppl left in the tourney. Can someone please helps and tell us which is the correct way to determine the stages of the tourney!! Thanks for all your help in advance

P

pokieman04

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Middle stage - 50-20% of the player pool is remaining, the bubble is close.

Late stage - Once you get into the money, I think you could consider it the late stage.

Couldn't agree more with you!!!

Rain92

Rain92

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Another thing to consider is in relation of your chip stack to the blinds. Your play has to vary according to these but in a tournament it is usually the amount of players that determine the stage.

goaldriversv

goaldriversv

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i'd say defining the middle stages of an mtt is all relative to the stack size and how many bbs so perhaps that would translate to roughly 20-40% of the field remaining. i'd consider the late stages of an mtt to be near the money...let's say within 10 players of the money.

T

Tgen

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are not different stages in a tournament , you base your strategy on 3 things , 1. effective stack size 2. The bubble 3. the opposition of this tournament

When your or your opponent's stack size change your strategy might change aswell , for example when you are in the 30-13BB range you can play more middling hands like KJ/AT and stack off with top pair postflop which might be incorrect at 100bb for example.

When you are at 12bb or below you shove or fold and so on.

The bubble can change your strategy too because of icm , typically you become much tighter when you react to raises , this is because chips havent the same value in dollars , the more chips you have the less they worth , a move might be +cev but -ev at the same time.

Other common thing in tournaments is that at the early stage of the game the opposition is much weaker but this is too generic , it isnt always correct.