Was I right too make this call? pt 1

blkmoney12

blkmoney12

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was playing in my pub league poker tournament . I had 17000 chips the blinds were 50-100 the beging stages of the tournament i was utg with a-6 off suit i decided to raise too 350 chips fold fold one caller from hijack button folds sb folds bb calls. The flop comes up a-3-7 all clubs bb ckecks there is about 100 in the pot i decided too bet out 1000 the first caller from hijack position folds bb thinks about it and decides to re-raise me 3200 i thought about it for a minute and i decided too call i have no club i my hand. The turn comes a 8 no club the bb decides too go all in for his last 4200 chips I really had to think about this i thought he didnt make his flush but wasnt sure he could have had a higher ace kicker than me i was stuck in a pickel what would u have done?

U

UnluckyDude

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have never called his re-raise. He could have easily had A with higher kicker (and maybe A of clubs), he could have hit a flush on the flop also. He could have had ANY club and could have beat you on the river if a club came. You need to choose your hands wisely. To be honest, you shouldn't have been in with A-6 os to begin with, especially in early position with NO info to go on from other players.

P

pierceisgod

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why were you raising with a-6 off 3.5x the big blind in an early stage, by doing this you are putting yourself in a danagerous spot most times than no so I think you made mistakes preflop and when he raised 3200 you should have probably mucked it, calling was not the right play if you were going to fold to a non club on the turn.

H

Henreiman

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"I was UTG with a6os" -> fold

"There was about 1000 in the point, I decided to bet out 1000" -> bet less, no point in betting so much as you're only getting called by Aces and if Kc decides to raise you likely have to fold (as bigger Aces are in their range).

"BB raises to 3200, I call" -> this is why we don't play A6os, a bigger ace is squarely within his range and even a naked Kc has lots of equity vs us. Your call is poor as we must fold on a club turn and we are guessing on just about any other turn. As we have no fold equity with a ship, we probably should be folding here.

"BB decides to go all in for his last 4200" -> at this point we are probably committed, he has to be bluffing with the naked Kc just 1 out of 4ish times for our call to be profitable...and if he does have something like AJ, we can still suck out.

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
This is exactly why you should avoid playing weak Aces out of position. In many situations I would even fold AJ in early position, particularly on an aggressive table.

If the villain in this hand has something like AJ-AK and the flop is Ace rags, ignoring the suited cards for a minute, you're going to have a hell of a time pushing him off of that hand no matter how many chips you throw at him because he knows in this situation there's only a few hands that he has to worry about. If he had the Ace of clubs here he would also have the nut flush draw and might be willing to give it a shot, or he could even already have had the nut flush.

S

stefffan1

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't called his raise. Your hand was weak. You had an A with low kicker and there was a flush draw too...Don't play like this anymore , otherwise you'll lose all your bankroll.

Loonbat

Loonbat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was playing in my pub league poker tournament . I had 17000 chips the blinds were 50-100 the beging stages of the tournament i was utg with a-6 off suit i decided to raise too 350 chips fold fold one caller from hijack button folds sb folds bb calls. The flop comes up a-3-7 all clubs bb ckecks there is about 100 in the pot i decided too bet out 1000 the first caller from hijack position folds bb thinks about it and decides to re-raise me 3200 i thought about it for a minute and i decided too call i have no club i my hand. The turn comes a 8 no club the bb decides too go all in for his last 4200 chips I really had to think about this i thought he didnt make his flush but wasnt sure he could have had a higher ace kicker than me i was stuck in a pickel what would u have done?

I think all the points were hit, but let me summarize so I feel like I contributed something:

FOLD PRE - crap ace, crap position. You will end up playing bigger pots against better hands too often to ever make this profitable.

RAISE LESS - 3.5x is not needed and is just spewing chips, especially if you're raising a lot

LEAD LESS INTO THE POT - your continuation bet on the flop is far too large. A clubs draw still has the odds, even with a pot-sized bet and 2 cards to come, and all other aces are kicking your ass here.

THINK AT LEAST ONE STREET AHEAD - what were you thinking when you decided to call his flop raise? Given he would only have another 4200 behind, you should have known that calling the flop raise meant calling another 4200 on the turn or the river. Also, facing the raise, what would you do if a club hits on the turn?

So, you might be drawing nearly dead to a flush, you might be facing a bigger ace (or a set - 3s and 7s definitely possible) and even if you hit your kicker, you don't want to see it in clubs, leaving you (basically) with maybe 3 outs.

FOLD TO THE RAISE - see above

stevenright

stevenright

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
heinreiman and loonbat said everything,...

and UTG in a tournament with A6off is just aweful in every way