I may have found it...

Ian the Fish

Ian the Fish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am a low limit player (since my bankroll does not exceed even $50) so I have been experimenting around a bit. I have tried almost every possible type of game out there (ring games, zoom, MTTs and STTs).

I have come to the conclusion that my biggest edge is when I play with the same group of people for extended periods of time (ring games or STTs). I'm assuming it is because after playing I get a decent feel of how my opponents play, and if I stick around and play with them I can utilize my reads without (hopefully) giving away too much myself.

So after playing and keeping track of my statistics now I know for sure that I excel at 9 man STTs ($1.50). I feel that if I stay focused, the only thing keeping me from winning is bad luck.

What do you guys think about single table tournaments? Or what tips could you give me?

P.S. Today's results:
2nd place = +$3.48 (-$1.50)
1st place = +$5.81 (-$1.50)
3rd place = +$2.32 (-$1.50)
6th place = -$1.50
2nd place = +$3.48 (-$1.50)
----------------------------
Total: +$13.59 (-$6.00) = +$7.59

P.P.S. I know it's just a tiny uptick, but I'm feeling great right now!

Last edited:
Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Once you know for sure that you excell at a particular game or format, you should very quickly kiss your bankroll goodbye.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your biggest edge can include a number of variables, only one of which is how long you're at a particular table with specific opponents. For instance, an obvious one is the extent of your skill advantage over your opponents.

T

twohaha

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Go for it then, i'd recommend learning about ICM and practicing on SnG wizard. Like there are some situations where it's correct to fold AA, or shove with 23o.
You'll have a better idea of how good you are once you get a large enough sample size. <20 games is not enough, you'll probably need hundreds for micro stakes.

C

cotta777

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its a decent session.
for an absoloute skill review we would have to look at results over 1,000 games or more.
but if you have a solid strategy the 1.50's are easily crushed .
best advice I could give Is to focus on volume and what works best. you may be better off 4-6 tabling 1.50 than moving upto 3.50/ 7.50.

be prepared for alot of swings and avoid the turbos for less variance. its a bt of a grind but just increase number of tables to a comfortable level of gameplay and interest

Dee Dee

Dee Dee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Todays results: if these are the only tourneys you have played and there is only one losing game you have to assume that you are just running well, I have no doubt that you need some skill to do this but it is very easy to go 5 or even 10 tourneys without cashing once, maybe less so in STTs admittedly - I play 12/18 SnGs and I have gone on runs where I have cashed in 18 tourneys out of 20 but I put this down to running well and not so much to my edge, which can only actually be discerned against people I play against a lot. i.e. regs at my games, because I have a better idea of what to expect from them than I do of random players. If you know you have an edge carry on developing your play so nobody has a clue what to expect from you and reap the profits, then, when you have a bankroll which can handle it, move up and refine your edge further. Sounds good, whatever you are doing is working for you so keep doing it and learning through your play how to make that edge even bigger. Good luck to you, sir.

Last edited:
jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you should stick with SNGs and play as many games as you can handle. Build up that roll and good luck!