How would you play this?

S

stlbluesfan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its been a couple years so the details are a little fuzzy but this hand haunts me still and I'd love to hear some experienced opinions on what I should have done.
Final table in MTT I'm 5 of 6 remaining, don't remember all of the payouts but 1st was $75000 and 5the was $1000. Don't remember my position but was dealt Kd Qd raised 4-5 x BB and had one caller blinds both folded
flop - Ks 10d Jd
I bet pot and he calls
turn - Qh

I've got open end straight flush draw, and top two pair, What would you do from here?

R

Ronoh

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What would you do from here?
Absolutely nothing coherent can be said here without knowing oh so much more about the hand... we don't know if the pot is 50K with you each having 2M behind or if the pot is 80K and you each have 3K left (and pretty sure you mean 1st pays 7500 rather than 75,000 seeing as 5th gets 1000)

You are 30% to win the hand against any ace or 9

Tulipaneiro

Tulipaneiro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would choose the pressure on the enemy, for first you have a straight flush draw ,second full house too. It is known that if your opponent has an ace, I doubt that he don't raise, but river left. Definitely not check because the opponent could conclude you do not have an ace, and he followed a raise.

Personally i'll be raise the value of the pot, or 2/3 of the pot

R

regirp10

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Allin depending on both chips the opponent has , if it is fully committed to the pot allin , if it has a lot of chips to bring still waiting I check his action, or even if it does not check I give a donk expecting an action stronger of it, I'm right in front with this board

B

batvalk0

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You have no choise here, you must be all in, there is no right step to finish this hand. You must be all in at the flop, if there is a Q on the turn that is all your mistake, cause as I said you must be all in at the flop.

trolaAa

trolaAa

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its obviously that he has ace so its your mistake. You must be all in at the flop when u saw the "K".My opinion

bushy_lufc

bushy_lufc

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not detailed enough to know what to do!

W

white_vision0

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
nice hand and it depends on the pot, how much money did he have ...not enough details

J

jonjr

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
there is no right step to finish this hand You should have been all in at the flop,

joker131

joker131

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
should off got them in before the turn that way he folds or becomes a fish looking for the cards to hit. should off been enough in the pot late in the game

D

DGOOD

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely have to shove on the flop.

Micro Maven

Micro Maven

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would choose the pressure on the enemy, for first you have a straight flush draw ,second full house too. It is known that if your opponent has an ace, I doubt that he don't raise, but river left. Definitely not check because the opponent could conclude you do not have an ace, and he followed a raise.

Personally i'll be raise the value of the pot, or 2/3 of the pot

What pressure? What are we hoping to get him to fold because I can't see him folding anything that beats us and we crush so many other hands that I see only downside from shoving. Only positives to a shove is we avoid A or 9 on river and maybe him having A high flush draw, otherwise we're begging for a river card to save us.
As played, I think you check and try not to put your entire stack at risk in this situation. If you check and he shoves, now we are in the same situation but we've also under-rep'd our hand and now induced some bluffs by 78diamonds type hands or he value bets and we get to see river then re-evaluate

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would have checked and hoped to see the river for free and hope that your hands gets improved on the river, either to the flush or full house. As others have pointed out, you might have been better served with a shove after the flop.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
without knowing stack sizes, I'll just take a guess

since I know I can probably never fold a Royal flush draw with top 2 pair right here, I'll pick my action based on my read.

If I think my opponent is the type who will ONLY bet if he has a straight, and will fold if he doesn't I'll probably just go all in and cross my fingers.

If I think my opponent is tricky and could possibly try to represent broadway, or represent MY hand, or maybe be dumb enough to value bet a worse 2 pair here...then I'll check to induce because there is absolutely no harm in giving a free card here. And yeah, sometimes he'll bet with broadway and I'll call and lose, but sometimes he'll bet with air, or a worse draw and I'll still call and win. Either way, leading into him gains me no value as he'll only call when I'm beat. So I check with the 100% intention of calling any bet he makes.

Tulipaneiro

Tulipaneiro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What pressure? What are we hoping to get him to fold because I can't see him folding anything that beats us and we crush so many other hands that I see only downside from shoving. Only positives to a shove is we avoid A or 9 on river and maybe him having A high flush draw, otherwise we're begging for a river card to save us.
As played, I think you check and try not to put your entire stack at risk in this situation. If you check and he shoves, now we are in the same situation but we've also under-rep'd our hand and now induced some bluffs by 78diamonds type hands or he value bets and we get to see river then re-evaluate

16 of 46 are his odds. Of course we dont know his opponent.

Its been a couple years so the details are a little fuzzy but this hand haunts me still and I'd love to hear some experienced opinions on what I should have done.
Final table in MTT I'm 5 of 6 remaining, don't remember all of the payouts but 1st was $75000 and 5the was $1000. Don't remember my position but was dealt Kd Qd raised 4-5 x BB and had one caller blinds both folded
flop - Ks 10d Jd
I bet pot and he calls
turn - Qh

I've got open end straight flush draw, and top two pair, What would you do from here?

can you tell us how it ended?

Last edited by a moderator:
billy198702

billy198702

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Final 5 mmm I would def all inn after the flop you had enough stuff to work around and if he wins than a bad beat has happened but you still made 1 k cash what is nice for a next tournament to use

S

Swickster007

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Check raise that shit. Dudes a pussy and he has no ace. :)

el_magiciann

el_magiciann

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Shove at the flop no matter how much chips he had, this is wet board weak A's would fold and you won't have to fold the turn...

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If he bets the pot on the flop and still has enough left behind to make a meaningful shove on the turn, then he shouldn't just be donk shoving the flop

eidikos

eidikos

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
its very important to tell us yous stack and if you were in position with your opponent.if you were in positionits an easier situation here because after your aggresion he checked to you in that spot or he bet the pot most of the times.check behind or call this bet if you have a big stack there.if it is a decision for all your stack see if you are commited.i dont think he bluffs you there,he has an ace.
now if you are out of position check and see if the odds are good to call his bet.
you played it bad in the flop i think.you had to shove there and make your life easier

BadB420

BadB420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Definitely would need a lot more information before making an educated decision on how to play it! But if it was just ABC poker than my chips would be hitting the center of the table! But like I said, there just isn't enough information here to make a educated decision, so im not sure how to play this because I dont know your position or how big your stack is compared to others!