How to play this hand?

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop raise was fine, flatting AQs there to a small 3bet was fine aswell. Your leadout on that flop was terrible, you should always be checking to the raiser. Your getting no info on your opponents hand strength by overbet shove leading out. By checking and allowing your opponent to act you can gain information on how your opponent likely hit the board. I doubt your ever getting away from this but when leading out there your pretty much blind betting!

Dubstep

Dubstep

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I check that flop gives anyone with a flush draw a free card.

And I don't think always checking to the preflop raiser is solid advice lol

Could probly bet smaller and then fold to a shove but I would probly be pot committed. I think pre flop I can find a fold. when i have tight image and raise UTG and get 3 bet by a tight player i think you can fold AQ? I think so

and it was vp 26 and pr 6 i got them mixed up.

In this spot his 3 betting range would be AK QQ+ maybe AQ JJ. Why call a small bet here? when the most likely hand in his range has us dominated. think the best play is to fold pre flop and i think the post flop play wasn't terrible because of the pot to stack ratio and the diamonds betting smaller i think is also ok, but checking your only hoping he checks back the flop? cause if he bets the flop it could easily be a c bet and then what are you going to do? check fold your hand or check raise? or even worse check and let it get checked and let a possible diamond fall on the turn. i think checking back that flop gives you hardly any information against the preflop raiser. if you want information from the raiser a small probe bet would work a lot better.

I didn't even really think about his range when it happened like i knew it was strong but i never really thought it through properly until afterwards. just seems like a subconscious decision to play aq in tournments as auto stack off hand like nearly always unlike cash game i can find a fold for AK and QQ in the right spots. and i think this AQ was in the right spot for a fold here. i just have to think twice about being 3 by a tight player with AQ with this stack size.

Last edited by a moderator:
weldphaser

weldphaser

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yep

I didn't even really think about his range when it happened like i knew it was strong but i never really thought it through properly until afterwards. just seems like a subconscious decision to play aq in tournments as auto stack off hand like nearly always unlike cash game i can find a fold for AK and QQ in the right spots. and i think this AQ was in the right spot for a fold here. i just have to think twice about being 3 by a tight player with AQ with this stack size.

when you get 3b by a tight/weak player on the button, his range is mega-strong, but ,ost importantly your open shove here is bad bad. def check the flop back to the pf raiser here

T

Tgen

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think you played the hand fine and the shove was correct too because when you shove you give him correct odds to call with flush draws , you basically pray he has QQ or KK with a diamond and its very likely he has this hand , its unlikely he will do a mistake otherwise , he will either bluff you or check back with drawing hands , if he bets when checked too you will still have to get it in because it may be a bluff also if you check , the board can get really scary on turn but he may not have a diamond and you will lose a pot for nothing if he bets , whatever shove wouldnt be correct in a nonmonochrome board and if the stacks were deeper , in this case you would prefer to bluffcatch with such hand.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im sorry to say all your plays are sub optimal.

Many theories you violated.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you think his range is that tight preflop, then it's a pretty easy fold to the 3bet. Like, even if you hit a decent flop like we did, we have no idea what to do. Shoving is probably the worst thing we can do on the flop here, check/folding doesn't seem very good since we called pre.. we're not getting many better flops than an A high one.

I think you are focusing on all the negative things that can happen, like checking and allowing people to draw. While draws are a threat, we can't just forget about all the other stuff that we play against. I think our best option on the flop is to go for a check/jam here or likely a check/call since his stack is about pot sized, but it's not a good option, it's just the best of a bunch of bad options.

basically next time you are here ask yourself firstly, what is his range? If you can't get a decent estimate then ask yourself, if i call here, am i happy to play a big pot if an ace high flop comes? if the answer is yes, then call, if the answer is I don't know or no, then fold.

the biggest problem with your shove is that flush draws are likely to call anyways, since players are bad and this is a low limit tournament7. Also, you fold out some stuff that might shove or fire a c-bet, like KK or some random pair. and you get snapped by anythign better. Sometimes you might also get called by something weaker, but it's pretty unlikely since we assign villian that tight range above. It's a bit of a worry with the flop getting checked back, but again, ask yourself if the diamond hits the turn, is it that big of a deal? it makes our decisions pretty easy and we get out of the pot cheaply..

supermoto

supermoto

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
with a flush and your hand loses strength and possible straight draw also you should not go all in with a minimum payment was sufficient for the remaining player is betraying his strong hand and you only had it a couple

Dubstep

Dubstep

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im sorry to say hffjd2000 your reply was sub optimal.

JPoling

JPoling

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You played that horrible. Here is why. 1) When he 3-bet what were you putting him on? AK had to be within his range. As well as JJ. Him being on BTN also opens up his range as well so he very well could of flopped a flush there. That flop is VERY wet for the range he could of been put on. Also, you say a check-fold there would of been bad? How so? With that board i for sure wouldnt be coming outshoving. Also with your stack, what sizeable bet can we put in but not commit us. Your best play could of been to fold PF, which honestly i think you flatting the 3bet wasnt really all that bad against him. What was bad was your post flop strategy on this hand. Honestly, if i played that. I think i would of flatted the 3bet. Check-fold flop. Also, i see you are worried about him drawing to the 4th diamond. Why so worried? It goes check-check. 4th diamond lands should look like a savior to you. Makes it very easy to get away if it would of played out like that. I gurantee though he was raising on flop, and you robbed yourself of that information. Lets swap sides and say you check, he jams. What do you do then?

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
And I don't think always checking to the preflop raiser is solid advice lol
by not checking to the raiser we are almost always putting ourselves in tougher spots and like I said earlier > gaining no info on how our opponent likely hit that board. Decent players will make life hell for you if you leadout in certain spots. flush draws are just 36% to hit on us here so you cant immediately worry about it. Idk what else to say, it just looks like by leading out your getting worse hands to fold out and better ones to call. Your still ahead of KK/QQ with a diamond here.

Last edited:
Dubstep

Dubstep

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Jpoling so you call with AQ only to fold when you hit? haha.. I don't check my made hands unless im up against a lag or something. and the reason I open jam is because if I raise a 70% of the pot like I usually do I would be pot commited so I open jam instead. I dont think flop play was bad I think pre flop was the mistake.

JPoling

JPoling

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Jpoling so you call with AQ only to fold when you hit? haha.. I don't check my made hands unless im up against a lag or something. and the reason I open jam is because if I raise a 70% of the pot like I usually do I would be pot commited so I open jam instead. I dont think flop play was bad I think pre flop was the mistake.

It was all bad. I already said would be wary calling it pre-flop. But the fact you did call. Yes, i would call with AQs and fold if i DIDNT hit. I think your idea of hitting might be a little skewed. I mean if hitting an A on an all suited board after already calling a 3bet with AQ is your idea of a made hand.:rolleyes: different strokes buddy..also you never answered, you check, he jams..what then? Or even if you check and he makes a good sizeable raise? Do we still feel like AQ is solid or do we start to contemplate.

Dubstep

Dubstep

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yea I would call.. with that stack size you would be stupid to fold, that's the whole point of calling pre flop. if stacks where deeper i could fold.

Or at least stack to pot ratio is to high to lay down top pair strong kicker. i would fold AQ to this player preflop next time but against anyone elses range im making the same postflop play and im going to be crushing. some players would call with there weak aces and flush draws when there getting the wrong odds and also if they fold i get a massive chip up to my stack. someone said, the worst hands fold and the best hands call.. i bet even if that was true which it wouldn't be. the amount of times i pick up the pot in the middle would far outweigh the times i get called by a better hand aslong as im not crushed by there preflop range.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

guutox

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
didnt like all in after flop, could lose less cheaps

rytciaq

rytciaq

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are almost guaranteed you are getting called when there is a back door broadway draw and 3 cards of the same suit on the flop. The 3bet preflop means its a strong hand, something ,like AK just like in this case. In your shoes I would have check-folded that flop

callmeXer0

callmeXer0

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I will agree that the 3 bet preflop here was obliviously indicating a strong hand from the button player. Instead of shoving on the flop, I feel that your attempting to make a hero play hoping for the players to fold behind. All pots that you enter are not meant to be won. You have to know when it's time to throw away a hand that may appear strong preflop; however, has hardly any strength on the flop.

Hindsight is 20/20 but your stack left behind if you had of check folded would have been plenty to make a run.

left52side

left52side

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop raise was fine, flatting AQs there to a small 3bet was fine aswell. Your leadout on that flop was terrible, you should always be checking to the raiser. Your getting no info on your opponents hand strength by overbet shove leading out. By checking and allowing your opponent to act you can gain information on how your opponent likely hit the board. I doubt your ever getting away from this but when leading out there your pretty much blind betting!

I argree with this.
I myself would have opened pot for more than A min raise intionaly,and then cetainly would agree with what trent said previously,there is no way you were repping diamonds there obviously...
But more impo\rtantly I would ask myselkf how the villian table image was and there range of three betting hands,either way hard hand to get away from but I would have polayed A bit different and maybe could have folded depending on my reads.

tARsh

tARsh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's a fold pre, you have a villain in between and the lp raise seems too small to be a positional raise I think that Vill more often than not on QQ-AKsooted. Although overplaying AK there

JPoling

JPoling

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yea I would call.. with that stack size you would be stupid to fold, that's the whole point of calling pre flop. if stacks where deeper i could fold.

Lol this is why you were losing hand post-flop. That is horrible strategy. So if you would of checked and he jammed you were calling? Just totally disregard his 3bet PF and totally ignore the board. I mean come on, there where so many hands that could of beat you there. Look at it this way, you shoved all-in on top pair, with a very wet board OOP. Does that sound like the right play? I will still stand by and say, if you wanted to call the 3bet pre-flop where we could of possibly get away still wasnt bad. Your post flop was bad, you werent ranging him at all or thinking about villians hand or board. All you seen was you flopped top pair and figured, meh I'm short enough and jam. Even if he was making a play at you with AJ 3betting PF he had you crushed on flop. Pocket JJ. Any 2 diamonds. Any 1 diamon hand he has a draw. Plenty of possibilities, this is why I dont like your shove. Yet you say check-fold would of been bad. Really dont see how so, we already called OOP should of been playing passive to him, not over-aggressive. Just my thoughts.:willy:

Kuphaldt

Kuphaldt

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I would min raise UTG just like you did but then when theres one caller between me and the villain reraise I like a fold with AQ depending on villains stats how often he squeezes light or how often he reraises on the button. As long as he isn't crazy agro I like a fold because AQ is getting dominated there by any somewhat tight player as it was in the video. A lot of players have trouble laying down AQ which is why it is one of the number one hands to lose a tournament with and go bust.

tARsh

tARsh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I concur! very good clarification to the move! drafting perfect!

Ya, run that range, maybeeeeeee 1010-AJs00ted and im saying that lightly, you can pray is a bad pseudo squeeze...

stevenright

stevenright

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think a shove freflop after his reraise would be a better move than this called 3bet, donk-shove flop of yours.

but as it was, no way you couldve folded the flop, if you check, he bets, you shove and you lose anyways.

JPoling

JPoling

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really dont understand this whole "you cant fold flop". Uhh, on that flop, id easily muck that AQ with no diamons in hand. I will still stick by what I said the flat call of the 3bey preflop was fine. Your post fkop is what hurt you. Isnt hard to see.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands