How to play against someone that plays.....

L

lost2qandisa

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How do you play against a player that plays every single hand. Example, start of a tourney, ten hands have gone around and one guy has played every hand and called every single raise. At this point, he has sucked out two others and got a giant stack. I pick up AK suited. I lay down a 4 X BB of my 970 chips because he limped in. I am into the pot for 100. The flop is a A hearts 7 diamonds and 3 diamonds. I drop a pot bet and hope this guy folds. He calls. The turn is a K of diamonds. Top two pair. Flush showing. He checks to me. I bet 350. Called. River is a 10 diamonds. @#%$ He checks. I pushed, hoping he thinks I have a high diamond. He calls with A 8 unsuited and the 8 is diamonds. BUSTED!

How do you play against players like this? I have played this guy in three different tourneys and some how he gets miracle hits all the time. It is hard to put him on any card because he will call with low or mid pair or nothing at all.

What to do?

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It sucks, especially when they are on your left.

Simplest advice I can give is "big hand big pot. Small hand small pot"

If they are a good player and not just a donkey, then avoid playing pots with them unless you have a real hand or position, preferably both.

If they are a donkey try to mix it up with them especially when you have position. Wait for a great flop and get it in good and hope to hold up. The donkey will give his chips to someone, you want to be there when he stacks off.

Last edited:
H

Hemi06

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You check the river against a player like that when you are not holding a diamond. He is gonna call with any diamond in his hand. You have decent show down value. The only hands he is folding are hands that you have beat. I really do not understand the shove.

Akorps

Akorps

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You check the river against a player like that when you are not holding a diamond. He is gonna call with any diamond in his hand. You have decent show down value. The only hands he is folding are hands that you have beat. I really do not understand the shove.

Yeah, I think that is correct. You have to check the river.

A

asolano22

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Fact is, he should be easy money for you. You just have to raise with premium hand and expect him to call you with bull. In the above scenario knowing he probably calls everything , you should not mind folding a two pair to his flush.. MOre times than not the AK will win against a player like that, however, and that when you capitalize. Just don't let your pride or frustration with him keep you from folding a hand you know he most likely won. You don't-in this case- semi bluff him with the nuts if he just going to call everything. Good news is, you have a really strong hand, he'll double you up pretty quick.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How do you play against a player that plays every single hand. Example, start of a tourney, ten hands have gone around and one guy has played every hand and called every single raise. At this point, he has sucked out two others and got a giant stack. I pick up AK suited. I lay down a 4 X BB of my 970 chips because he limped in. I am into the pot for 100. The flop is a A hearts 7 diamonds and 3 diamonds. I drop a pot bet and hope this guy folds. He calls. The turn is a K of diamonds. Top two pair. Flush showing. He checks to me. I bet 350. Called. River is a 10 diamonds. @#%$ He checks. I pushed, hoping he thinks I have a high diamond. He calls with A 8 unsuited and the 8 is diamonds. BUSTED!

How do you play against players like this? I have played this guy in three different tourneys and some how he gets miracle hits all the time. It is hard to put him on any card because he will call with low or mid pair or nothing at all.

What to do?

Betting hoping for him to fold with by far the worse hand seems daft. You should be betting for value, not for folds. You should only be betting to hope people fold out better hands that yours, not worse. This player shows he will likely never fold anything, bluffing him seems pointless, so just value bet them - they will pay you off.

Shoving the river is quite terrible. You have top two on a 4 diamond board, with no diamond in your hand and likely no fold equity. You just said this guy is terrible and calls probably anything, do you honestly think he will be thinking about your hand here and actually think "This guy could have a decent diamond in his hand, I'm going to fold my pair with a diamond". He'll look at his hand and if he has any diamond, he'll call. All you did in the end was turn your hand into a bluff into a player who wouldn't fold a 2d in his hand.

R

ravpl

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You know that he call everything so don/t bluffing him.
Play tight/agressive if u catch someting raise. Have a nuts check/raise It will give u chips for free. Loose/agressive player u play tight/agressive
loose/passive player raise a lot(if they call or re-raise FOLD)
River looks really bad. Hemi06 all explained in his post

luckytvguy

luckytvguy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That is so strange.Looks like he would know the next card.What poker room itis?

psychotie

psychotie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never ever try to bluff a player like this. Hes not thinking about ur hand , hes only focused on what hand he can get. So the only way to win against a player like him is to play solid ABC-Poker and if u have a winning hand bet and take the chips.
gl on the felts

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
Like others have said on a board like that a check on the river is the way to go.

Last edited:
Dee Dee

Dee Dee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Check it back, you have zero fold equity because he has a giant stack, whether or not he is a station makes no difference if his stack size makes it easy for him to call you down. Since you know he is never folding ANY diamond your shove is a bad play.

Last edited:
L

locha2013

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't raise at the turn and river and maybe I would have gone all in preflop, because I would have the better hand when he calls.

T

twohaha

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Terrible river bet, the two first bets were fine. You'll get lots and lots of value from players like this, you want them to have the big stack so you can take it all away from them.

Venom246

Venom246

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play supertight versus players like this and valubet shiiiitloads when u have something.

Vhyre

Vhyre

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The check is correct, theres no fold equity. If you see a chance with cards and position, make him pay heavy.

spiderman637

spiderman637

RIP Buck
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are few players who like to play every hand at the beginning stages of a tourny..They generally do it to get a read over the players rather piling up stack.
Also regarding this particular hand, i guess u should have backed down a bit post river, there was no need for u to push there as he with his big stack and u with ur low stack, he would be calling u anyway...U should instead have pushed allin post turn itself, that might would have been a better play there...

etherghost

etherghost

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Damn! I'm with you on this one pal! Player's like that piss me off, especially when I'm not getting dealt any monsters to get a decent pay off on them!

Best advice, play very tight and wait for that monster to pay off.

BatteredMugshot

BatteredMugshot

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think the biggest thing verse these guys is finding the RIGHT spots to bluff. I bet he leads any diamond face card he has on the river and check calls every other. While check/folding any non diamond holding.
In my experience, these laggy players are to be value bet hard!!

LeeCallaghan

LeeCallaghan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love "big hand big pot. small hand small pot"
It sucks, especially when they are on your left.

Simplest advice I can give is "big hand big pot. Small hand small pot"

If they are a good player and not just a donkey, then avoid playing pots with them unless you have a real hand or position, preferably both.

If they are a donkey try to mix it up with them especially when you have position. Wait for a great flop and get it in good and hope to hold up. The donkey will give his chips to someone, you want to be there when he stacks off.

PrayForSpades

PrayForSpades

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Check the river there, and value bet them light every hand you play with them.

L

LeePaiva2014

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely check that river.... you pushing hoping for a fold against his large stack looks weak imo.

W

Weisssound

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe the phrase goes "Don't bluff a fish." I think you played the hand just right and caught bad luck at the river... and then played that bad luck poorly. Happens.

Call stations are fairly easy to play. Be patient and play straight. If you really want fold equity you may have to overbet because the player is looking at the amount of the bet, not the amount of the bet vs. size of the pot. But really just wait until you have the nuts and go for it.

What makes call stations difficult is that they mess up the rest of the table play. You become forced to adjust your plays knowing there's a good chance that one guy is calling or raising.

And for what it's worth, I think 2pair is the hand I've lost the most money on.

C

Countmein

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am exactly this type of player early in a ss tourney in a ds tourney I probably play 40% of hands. I'll play this way until I loose 10% of my stack or triple up. Best way to play is to shove pre or put in huge raise with hands AQs or JJ+. That should tilt him or follow advice above. Also if following above advice open raise with broader range suited 1gap connectors and the like should be merged with premium hands.

That said though limping I rarely continue on a board I missed was he playing like this. Also was he a passive or aggressive player. If passive than I'd say your in trouble if aggressive than I'll say he has some understanding of the game and might have read Every Hand Revealed, by Gus Hansen. He is a proponent of limping with marginal hands early in MTTs.

P.S. Even with giant stack I would have had hard time calling you with the 5th nut flush after your shove on river.

C

Countmein

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To continue on above post you can't play super tight he's in every hand. If you tighten up a board where AK looks good and he's playing rags you may definitely get stacked. Unless you have nuts. You have to merge ranges to include all hands that draw to nuts and small ball it. Until you have nuts. Otherwise he'll control pace and tempo of the table and you'll find yourself in a bad position until one of you is moved.

Then again I'm aggressive and can't stand not to be in control of the table. It's a major leak but I'm not changing anytime soon.