How to play against the chip leader????

Slawa1986

Slawa1986

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everyone!! Once again faced with the same problem!!!! Fly in the initial stage of the period of prizes!!!! Wait prizes, respectively, the stack is not large!!! I play with a wider range of cards!!! And you only came AQ, AJ, 10-10+ , go to ollin and takes me chip leader with 8-9, Q-4 and any other debris!!!! How to deal with it!!!! Just make 2-3 bet makes no sense, because the stack usually by this time is 6-7 BB)))))): ура:

T

thatgreekdude

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bigger stacks can call considerably wider, basically because they can do so without risking there tournament life. It's a good thing for you as you have a good opportunity to double up against them.

P

pokrshot

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, they tend to raise with almost every pair and steal blinds. But, it also seems a bit like chip leaders get good cards while on final table. So, we need to be careful and wait for a chance to double up.

G

gqr31ff

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think playing as usual and with the other guided by a combination and not fear him raise even more so if you have a good combination

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wait for a good hand.

You can either trap him/slowplay or put him all in depending on your observation about him.

UnfadingTrain

UnfadingTrain

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I like to trap/slowplay the chip leader to if he is very aggressive but occasionally ill play back at him to see how he handles the pressure but only if my reraise will not give odds to where he is pot committed. And after you double up thru chip leader they usually give ur raises more clout especially after you showed a premium hand. Just don't over do the move

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bigger stacks can call considerably wider, basically because they can do so without risking there tournament life. It's a good thing for you as you have a good opportunity to double up against them.

Exactly this. The thing to consider too is peoples' play with different stacks will usually differ. Some people are able to adjust their play accordingly and play well no matter what stack size they have. However, most people don't play optimally all the time and as a result, can be exploited. The tendency is to, as thatgreekdude said, open up their range and play hands with an approach that may be exploitable.

The key is to, as others have said, pick your spots carefully. If you have some history on their play, that works in your favor too. Sometimes you have to push back against them to keep them honest.

The bottom line is, play the game you play that is most comfortable for you. Sometimes you'll be able to double-up, and sometimes it won't work out. At the end of the day, if you feel that you did everything you could have done and not felt like you could have done something differently, then you'll be fine. If you also brainstorm with others on key hands (either hands you doubled up on or hands you busted out on), you may find a different perspective helpful for your game when you are faced with the same/similar situation in the future.

mendiolacubicle

mendiolacubicle

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is it safe to say that we should shove tighter, call their shove wider?

UnfadingTrain

UnfadingTrain

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When I have the big stack if table is loose then I continue to play my tight aggressive style. If the table is tight I will loosen up and attack blinds. Near or on the bubble I will attack blinds relentlessly. Note that i'm not talking about big stacks like me or small stacks. Small stacks may shove with anything and big stacks have the chance to hurt my standing to well to have a marginal hand. So I usually make moves on medium stacks depending on observations.

As far as how to play against chip leader. I sometimes depending on my observations on the player like to shove on the big stack with any decent hand. IMO big stacks give more respect to a middle stack who come over the top of them than a small stack cause of odds or a big stack because of stack size. Or atleast I do because you figure the guy wants you to call. Why else would you raise all in on the chip leader? It works more times than not but nothing is certain and it cannot be overdone. Or if the big stack is very agressive then give him some rope and let him hang himself.

Questions like these are to broad to answer correctly or accurately since poker is a game of variables. To many things go into play to have set rules for how to play.

Martinez

Martinez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I like to trap/slowplay the chip leader to if he is very aggressive but occasionally ill play back at him to see how he handles the pressure but only if my reraise will not give odds to where he is pot committed. And after you double up thru chip leader they usually give ur raises more clout especially after you showed a premium hand. Just don't over do the move

Got to agree with this. Chip leader will most times be agressive especially at final table, so wait for a good hand that has a chance of trapping or re raise allin and take your best shot.

taban13

taban13

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At a late stage of the tournament against the chip leader with a short stack play probably the best fold or Ollin/.

G

guutox

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
shove shove and shove, only big hands

VizziVizo

VizziVizo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should try to play more hands with him because he can call your raise with middle-growth pair for e.g. and it is good chance for you to double your chips more and more times