How are my SnG stats?

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've hesitated in posting something like this for a long long time because I'm always afraid I'll get lectured about sample size and...well....here's the facts. I work full time, I'm a mom, I'm in the USA and have limited options for where and when to play. So...in short my sample size is what it is. sorry about that. Please find it in your hearts to help me out even though my sample size is relatively low.

Total # of tourneys: 763. 391 on Carbon, and 372 on Bovada

buy ins range from $1.10-$5.50

these stats include super turbos, turbos and regular speed, all are standard 9 man formats with 3 players paid.

In the Money %: 40.1%
ROI: 19.21%
Average finish 4th place

1st place: 15.5%
2nd place: 13.2%
3rd place: 11.4%
4th place: 15.2%
5th thru 9th place: 44.7%

I don't really know how to analyze these numbers, or how they compare to other good players, or other bad players. What kinds of things am I looking for when analyzing my own poker stats?

or3o1990

or3o1990

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's interesting that your first place percentages are higher than your second and third places. I assume then that the 40% of the time your making it into the money your showing up with a considerably large stack? Either that or your late stage push fold strategy is superb! I'm in no position to be giving you any advice though but I just wanted to say good job:congrats:! And also to ask how your tracking your bovada stats? I'm on the old columns and tally mark system myself.. I know.. I'm a darn caveman...:D

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you play in different BI tournaments , 700 sng for analysis is very small, because can be upstreak...

But now ROI 20% ( if u play more turbo and superturbo ) its very high , ROI says what you good player ( like reg )

If you use HUD, need graph and the average stats ( VPIP PFR 3BET ) for all tournaments , that exactly can conclude about the game...

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
looks like a heater to me

to analyse the numbers, focus more on distribution of finishes more than anything. However here your first place is higher than anything, so just play more volume and keep playing the same game for now, if it ain't broke don't fix it :)

it should be possible to get over 10% ROI on carbon, there's (i assume) not many good players so 10-15% Is totally achievable.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think your stats look great, after several hundred sngs they should be fairly close

like that your first place is higher than the 2nd and 3rds

think the numbers are good for the $1 level and really good for the $5

it would be interesting to see the breakout between super turbo, turbo, and reg

ie if your super turbo numbers are anywhere close to your mean results you should play more of them

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's interesting that your first place percentages are higher than your second and third places. I assume then that the 40% of the time your making it into the money your showing up with a considerably large stack? Either that or your late stage push fold strategy is superb! I'm in no position to be giving you any advice though but I just wanted to say good job:congrats:! And also to ask how your tracking your bovada stats? I'm on the old columns and tally mark system myself.. I know.. I'm a darn caveman...:D
yes, when I make the money I am rarely squeaking into the money. I think what this would mean is that I'm taking considerable risks on the bubble, to "abuse" the bubble mentality and build a stack for first place. Since my 2 highest finishes are 1st and 4th. I don't know if that is ideal play or not, but I would say that it is what I usually attempt to achieve (depending on the exact stack distributions of course and whether or not a NIT is in the BB).

I track my Bovada stats very tediously "by hand" in an online free poker database called pokerdominator.com So, at the end of each session, I pull up my account information on Bovada and it tells me how much money went out, how much came back for each game. Bovada will give you this info for 30 days, but I usually do it once per day that I play so that the work isn't overwhelming. I also track all my live play in this online database, and use my HUD to track all of my other online play.

looks like a heater to me

to analyse the numbers, focus more on distribution of finishes more than anything. However here your first place is higher than anything, so just play more volume and keep playing the same game for now, if it ain't broke don't fix it :)

it should be possible to get over 10% ROI on carbon, there's (i assume) not many good players so 10-15% Is totally achievable.
because of the low sample size it looks like a heater, or because the ROI is higher than a typical winning player...or both?

i think your stats look great, after several hundred sngs they should be fairly close

like that your first place is higher than the 2nd and 3rds

think the numbers are good for the $1 level and really good for the $5

it would be interesting to see the breakout between super turbo, turbo, and reg

ie if your super turbo numbers are anywhere close to your mean results you should play more of them

I considered breaking the numbers down by buy in, and by game type but then the sample sizes would get really small. some would be as low as 72 games and the highest would be 275 games. My rationale in including the stats all together is that I'm employing the same basic strategy in all these games (I didn't include the hyper turbos for example since those are 6 player and are a push/fold game which is significantly different strategy).

But, it's easy enough to do....I have all the data, so I can put it on here in a bit. Just please realize that I DO know that the sample sizes are quite small.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1000 isn't meaningless but it's not by any means meaningful either so it's really hard to determine your roi% or what the stats mean. You're winning though, so that's great but you can't really analyse anything from that amount of tournaments. I mean, there are winning players who lose and break-even for 1000's of games and they are the "best" at their limits.

I think the best way though would be to post hands from the SnG's, particularly around the money bubble, these are going to be much more beneficial to you in terms of having feedback on your current results. If you're making money bubble mistakes in particular but have a 20%+ roi now, then we can probably assume you're on a heater etc. If you're not making many mistakes then there's probably a good chance you can beat the games at $1.00 for 20% roi, it's for sure possible at those stakes anyway.

Nice job so far.

or3o1990

or3o1990

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm curious, are your ROI% calculated from how much is spent on total buy ins or the bankroll you started with?Also, I understand that anything over breaking even is awesome. But with a sample size of 2k or higher what is an achievable ITM% and ROI% that could be set as a realistic goal?

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ROI is compared to how much you spend on buy-ins, regardless of how big your bankroll is.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm curious, are your ROI% calculated from how much is spent on total buy ins or the bankroll you started with?Also, I understand that anything over breaking even is awesome. But with a sample size of 2k or higher what is an achievable ITM% and ROI% that could be set as a realistic goal?

anything over breaking even is great no matter what. However with soft games you can and should expect to actually make money. I think 10% is a good long term figure you can aim towards, but essentially you want that number as high as possible, so you should never really be happy with any % there is always room to do slightly better.

Jacki- It looks like a heater because running at 19% roi with super turbo games in there will be a tough ask to maintain long term. The high number of firsts backs up that it's most likely a heater. However who really cares? you are clearly playing well, with the soft games you should expect to do well, just don't get upset if/when you ROI figures start to drop. I remember when i started out playing the $3 9 man sng's on stars, i totally expected that i could maintain my 20%+ roi over 500 games, however it wasn't the case and it eventually evened out.

Anyways, i really wouldn't worry too much about these figures, since you don't play that much volume you are likely to play your A game more often, so your high ROI should drop slightly after you put in more games, but i wouldn't expect you to drop below 10% long term :)

Instead of looking at these numbers, which really don't help that much, try to filter for common spots and see how much profit you are making from certain positions, you can do this in your tracker. It could be 3bet shoving with 10-12bb stacks from the SB for example, whatever it is, looking at areas where you may be able to pick up chips is a far better use of time that looking at distribution or your pretty graph :)

or3o1990

or3o1990

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ROI is compared to how much you spend on buy-ins, regardless of how big your bankroll is.

Thanks, I was looking at it all wrong.. I find that Pokerdominator site pretty tedious but I might just have to get over it and use it or buy some software I guess.