How many MTT tournaments in a month is average for a player to win ?

PLAYINBIG

PLAYINBIG

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I will average playing about 2 tourneys a day during a work week.On the weekends I prob average about 4 to 6 games.So I guess I'm close to 16 MTT games a week.My average is between 2 to 4 first place finishes a month.If I times 16 MTT games by 4 weeks in a month is 64 MTT games a month I average.3.1% to6.2% a winning.I would like to Improve my percent more. I think I added the % up right not sure.

/

Last edited:
Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well just a little side note. Not every tourney you cash in has to be a 1st place. Poker is still very profitable if you can find a way to be making final tables constantly. Winning is great but so is cashing at all. :)

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I average 0 (as in 'zero'). I don't know how many it'd be for the 'average player' but I think it's safe to assume that it'd be more than myself.

S

Scrover

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How big are the tournaments on average? The answer will be 1 in the number of players participating. A great MTT player can double that, but most people can't do this without some great skill. Sadly, I am not a great MTT player.

R

ravpl

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am not sure about this % of winning. Check your ROI on some pokersites. This is the best solution i think..

mcgregor_415

mcgregor_415

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a pretty good rate if you are winning 2 to 4 out of 64. It depends very much of the number of players into each event, but if you may reach such a success rate adding to some smaller payouts you are successful player.

vadimknyshov

vadimknyshov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
6 % MTTs
at the first place? It is a good result,imho. What is your percentage of hits in the money?

Bassaliga

Bassaliga

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This year, only it starts. I put in front of goal better than in 2016

January 2017
Games Played: 351
Total won: $ 223.70
The highest Buy-In: $ 7.50
ITM,%: 24,5

for the last 2016
Game Played: 4939
Total won: $ 6,343.48
The highest Buy-In: $ 33.00
ITM,%: 20,79

I'm happy with the result. I will try to play better:smokin::icon_rr:

Z

ZingyT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say I make the money about 20-30% of games (playing under $3 level)

1st places are nice but usually come down to "donkey bingo" (all in preflop and cross fingers)

Tournament size also effects it somewhat. in 1000 person, your going to have multiple "flips" along the way. Shove a straight + flush draw for example and called by top pair.

M

MATEMATUK33

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
300-400 min range , more =good level multitabling

Shamaniski

Shamaniski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This year, only it starts. I put in front of goal better than in 2016

January 2017
Games Played: 351
Total won: $ 223.70
The highest Buy-In: $ 7.50
ITM,%: 24,5

for the last 2016
Game Played: 4939
Total won: $ 6,343.48
The highest Buy-In: $ 33.00
ITM,%: 20,79

I'm happy with the result. I will try to play better:smokin::icon_rr:

Dang son! 6k profit with biggest buyin of 33. Nice!!

B

bbiase

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Think about ITM% and ROI%. A winning reg can crush his stakes and stand months without scoring that big W.

In fact, the best ones are the ones with the best stack preservation games and these guys usually play for payjumps and tournament equity rather than +EV plays (in terms of chips) and equity on a single hand, which means that playing for the win spot is not what you should be looking for if you want to be a solid profitable reg.

25% ITM and 15% ROI are decent for most micro and small stakes regs.

Anyway, anywhere near 6% of wins in the long run is a profitable record, I don't think it's ever sustainable against big or tough fields.

Last edited:
Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
In media you have to play with form your experience in the game!

Seriously... :confused:

This is a 3 year bump to an old thread & your response doesnt even make sense.

chicopaw

chicopaw

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
my itm is about 17-25% avg playing 60 per mth , and have many bad beats ,they seem to run for days sometimes

D

daluby

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So is it better to win 6 percent or be in the money 40 percent?

Luan

Luan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
So excuse me I take back what I said about your opinion

S

sekcapilniqt

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hi

there are times I do a lot of zippers but just before he entered the money I take them

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
People actually win tourneys???

I wouldn't know, I've been on #TeamCan'tClose for years :(

In all seriousness though, it all depends on the amount of volume you put in, field sizes, etc. You can still be a winning MTTer even if you don't close out any tourneys. ROI% is a better reflection of how you are doing as the number of tourneys you win can be affected by variance A LOT.

hulinada

hulinada

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I tell a lot of people not to play large-field online MTTs for a living. I’ve always thought that the variance is just way too high for most professionals to trust their livelihood (and sanity) to large-field MTTs instead of cash, smaller-field MTTs, or STTs. But, admittedly, I’ve given this advice without any direct evidence to back it up. I’ve been meaning for a while to see what the numbers say, and this post will be a tentative first step.

N

Nilius85

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It all depends on how good you are,if your an average poker player your results will be average(variance aside).Check out the twitch channel of bparis(see how often hes cashing and making final tables)hes accumluated 7milly in tournys.

P

PKRNRS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will average playing about 2 tourneys a day during a work week.On the weekends I prob average about 4 to 6 games.So I guess I'm close to 16 MTT games a week.My average is between 2 to 4 first place finishes a month.If I times 16 MTT games by 4 weeks in a month is 64 MTT games a month I average.3.1% to6.2% a winning.I would like to Improve my percent more. I think I added the % up right not sure.

/
Your only counting 1st places finishes? I don't know what a good win rate is on that. I count any cash as a win. Mine % currently is ~28% for live tournaments. I don't get to play much though so it might me lower if I played more. I don't get to play online for money so I have no stats for that other than free-rolls which I'm at about 25%. If I only counted 1st place finishes I'd be at 0% I do believe.
Another way to figure your success is ROI (return on investment).

($ Won - Buy In) / Buy In x 100 = ROI %

If your just playing free-rolls then any win rate is a success.

Your sample size needs to be at least 100-500 games to see exactly where you are. As far as winning more I don't know how to increase winning more except study, and learn new tactics. If you're winning first place 2-4 times a month then I wouldn't worry about. All that matters is that more money is coming out and into your pocket then goes into someone's else pocket.

P

PKRNRS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am not sure about this % of winning. Check your ROI on some pokersites. This is the best solution i think..

Jamie Gold is known for winning the most $$$$$ ever at wsop. His ROI will be HUGH forever!