How many games are you comfortable multi-tabling and why?

How many tables do you play at a time?

Votes: 11 8.7%

Votes: 39 30.7%
  • 3 or more

Votes: 77 60.6%

• Total voters
Thinker_145

Thinker_145

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How on earth do you guys play so many tables at once??

I had always played just one table at a time but I got to know how many people play multi-table so I decided to give it a shot. Even with just 2 tables I am not liking this, there is a very serious dip in efficiency.

The big problem is that if I make it deep into both the tournaments then that just creates a mess. When you are at the bubble or later in a tournament you absolutely must pay full attention to whats happening or you will be at a disadvantage. And then if you get heads up in a table again you really need full concentration on that to give yourself a better chance at succeeding. I make plays I wouldnt make with single table because I didnt have the information I would have.

But 2 tables I can somewhat understand with both tables fully open all the time. But people are playing 6-10 tables at a time?? No offence but it seems to me that a big portion of the people making poor plays must be the ones playing that many tables. When someone goes into maniac mode I see that a few players dont notice that and end up making mistakes. There are alot of things that you miss out on with multi table.

So is anyone in agreement with me or everyone here is a multi-table player? I know I know the hourly ROI is what alot of players care about but really perhaps you can increase the stakes a little bit and be more efficient that might actually be more profitable in the end.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Practise.

Try really low stakes and add 2 tables and just add more when you get comfortable. I personally much prefer multi tabling MTTs as I find it makes me play better than single tabling because I just get bored, lose focus, watch TV or whatever. Multi tabling might not be for you though and if you enjoy and play your best with one table, then there's no real reason why you should try to force yourself to play more especially if you feel it really does effect your results. If of course you can add more, it's only going to be a good thing and will likely improve your profits. Also most multi tabling use software and huds meaning you can usually quite easily pick out the worse of players and most do check "big hands" in general.

Sure you will miss out of small little pots and some show down hands when you do play several tables but in general if you can multi table, you should as it's nearly always going to be better.

Last edited:
dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your poll needs more answers, LOL.

Several years ago I played 12-16 cash tables regularly. Now SNGs are my preference and 6-8 is my sweet spot (I'm not as hardcore as I used to be). Any less than that I want to shoot myself unless it's a CC league game or maybe a big money MTT that I've gone deep in.

As said, it's just about practice, and effective use of tools at your disposal, like a fast computer with big or multiple monitors and a tracker/HUD. Best piece of advice I can offer is not to add another table until you're a reliable winner at the stakes and number of tables you currently play. Your bb/100 winrate is going to go down with more tables, so you have to depend on your hourly rate increasing to compensate. If you add tables too soon, you're going to lose even faster than before and thus go in the opposite direction.

skrsh76

skrsh76

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can also only focus on no more than MTTs. Any more I make stupid mistakes!!! Most definitely you need a bigger monitor and tools even if you are comfortable remembering the table you are playing in so that you can tile the screens and have a view of what is happening in all the tables.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The situation you've detailed isn't at all unusual - pretty much everyone's winrate per individual table will decrease as they add more tables for the exact reasons you've given. The thing is though that with practice you can lessen the effects, and winning an expected $20 per hour each on two tables (so making $40/hour) is better than winning an expected $30 per hour on one table, for example.

Everyone has a 'hard' limit on the number of tables they can play without their winrate tanking, and that can be anything from 1 to >30 tables depending on the person, the game they're playing, and so on. Just keep practicing and you may well soon find yourself wondering how you ever managed to stave off the boredom of playing one table at a time. :)

RichL

RichL

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For someone playing just freerolls, with the variance involved due to the all-in nutters, you may as well start a few games at once (maybe across many poker sites) then concentrate on the one you do best in, or the one you don't get knocked out of. Today on (the new improved - ha) party poker they had $50 Freerolls every half hour from about 10:00 to 16:00 (BST). Good practive for multi-tabling.

M

matiusaa

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You just have to start with two tables, and when you feel very comfortable you can play with more. If you want to play more hands in less time I suggest playing zoom poker rather than in many tables, cause playing in ! table of zoom poker is like playing on 4 tables in normal nl holdem

T-Dubs82

T-Dubs82

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i play 6-10 tables at once, took some getting used to, i couldnt imagine doing it when i first started but now i couldnt imagine just 1-2 tables

M

marciks137

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
first of all y need holdem manager, after that you need to learn to play tihgt agressive style and push fold chart...

Thinker_145

Thinker_145

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ya I agree on the monitor size part, I have a 22" monitor which does get a bit crammed with tiling 2 tables, I think multiple monitors is ultimately the ideal setup for poker. I would never multi table in a way that I cant see the whole of every table all the time.

Am I also the only one who absolutely wants to have the stack counter in front of me all the time? Just looking at the table you dont get the info quick enough like you do if you have the stack table infront of you all the time.

I would agree about the getting bored with only 1 table part but I have come to get used to it now. I also have another problem with multi-table that it really gets difficult to take a piss break lol. I am one of those who would absolutely not want to blindly fold even a single hand.

I guess what I can do is play the first half single table and then play the second table so I am never in a situation where I am deep in both the tables at the same time.

BluffyouBAD

BluffyouBAD

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me, playing many tables is easier since I can be more patient with my starting hands because I always have action.Keeps me disciplined.

Jair83

Jair83

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That depends on my bench for when Good $ $ Play up to 10 tables but when I have my banking Good $ $ single game entered three
O 4 tables hang time, that play both freerolls and free tournament tables barias think that bored too

K

kevbot

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to play A LOT of hands to get enough experience in order to multi table successfully. After a while there are many decisions that just come second nature and you don't even have to take your concentration away from the other tables to make those decisions.

K

kevbot

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
However when you play 3 or 4+ SnG's at once and you end up heads up in a couple at the same time, while still playing others, that can get pretty hectic especially because heads up you want to be playing many many more hands than normal.

dudemanstan

dudemanstan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play one at a time, because I like to focus on my competition, and that is hard when multi tabling. I have found i can win easier playing one at a time.

P

pokerclann1

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ill tell you whats great for practicing multi tabling and it doesnt dent your bankroll, is to play the 2cent 990player 10cent 380player and maybe a few 0.25cent on stars its helped me progress from max 3tabling to 8tabling comfortably, it honestly just takes practice, youd be surprised what your brain threshold can adapt to.

Airburn

Airburn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play no more then two
Because I pay alot of attention to what ever everybody doing and what hands they play/raise/bluff with and tendencies,
I found that impossible to do with more then 2 tables,
I dont think that players who play 10+ Tables get a good read on other players they are so bussy with all the action

Mechanic44

Mechanic44

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you play more than 3 or 4 tables you play cards not player. but since alot wee here are micro,min players it doesnt mather much.

A

Ambushed

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually play 8 to 12 tables of turbo SNG. It's not that hard, since most of the time you will be folding hands (early) and it will be a push/fold game later on when you have a small/average stack.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play no more then two
Because I pay alot of attention to what ever everybody doing and what hands they play/raise/bluff with and tendencies,
I found that impossible to do with more then 2 tables,
I dont think that players who play 10+ Tables get a good read on other players they are so bussy with all the action

if you play more than 3 or 4 tables you play cards not player. but since alot wee here are micro,min players it doesnt mather much.

These are both incorrect assumptions when talking about advanced players. The idea that multi-tablers can't get reads and adjust to other players is just wrong. When first learning to multi-table that may be true because you're still adapting to acting so fast, which is largely why a HUD is so valuable for multi-tabling. It does takes practice, but once you've trained your mind to it, it's not that hard to play the player.

S

Skidis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me, playing many tables is easier since I can be more patient with my starting hands because I always have action.Keeps me disciplined.

I agree on this. With one table you want to play all the time, even really bad cards... ;)

Dalsue214

Dalsue214

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
HUDs help. But mostly I do it because I get bored playing just 1 at a time.

If I am ever playing, I am usually in 2+ games at once.

M

murrdog

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
5 mtts is my limit...and even at that i feel my game is diluted to just the cards,as you lose track of a lot of information being left on each table

Bowman26

Bowman26

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3 is my limit and then I am trying to hold to much information without any card tracking software etc. It is easy to make bad decisions and get bored if the cards go dead but it you play a few tables it is easier to to hit fold on the hands that you shouldn't be playing as you will see more hands and get more chances at more tables. Of course you can also lose more money faster as well.

RajDev1979

RajDev1979

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
if it comes to freerolls i can play 3-4 at the same time. But when it comes to $ tables i prefer not more than 2

Top 10 Games