How learn tournament poker

B

Beyond_Space

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everyone, I want learn how to be better, I need to play better, and wish to be better.So how do where start be better, how?

I know not much, but want to grow to play better so plz help me, become better than I am now.

I want look for free videos to teach me play better and want read free things because I have no money to pay for things so I only want to learn by free things.

I also need to learn bank-roll, and how to make grow bigger to play bigger games, but for now I only wish to learn to play better plz help.

If you wonder why Abdi know help me to play better, I can-not play like Abdi, he play crazy, and I can-not play his style of crazy, that is why I ask you to help me play.

DrazaFFT

DrazaFFT

public static void
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I started playing poker on FTP while there was $150 FT and regular round 1, i tried a lot of different strategy what i saw works best for a beginner is really really tight and pick only good hands, some would say that in beginning of a tourney you should be at push or fold mode which means that you only should play QQ+ maybe AK which is to tight and when you get those hands and push most players will fold, of course if you use this strategy while donk fest is still on you might find yourself a caller and double up, but what i do lately in those kind of fr is that i dont push all in i raise with big hands (i mean really big JJ+) and if i get reraised i push all in, if i just get called i c-bet big on the flop, now of course with time you'll see what to do if overcard comes on flop if board is draw heavy and stuff...

If you have time, i would recommend gripsed videos on youtube, first watch his 10vid series on how to win tournament poker, lot of good info, might to long for my taste but deffo worth of watching, after that watch his 4 or 5 vid series on how to win freeroll on party poker i think, i still didnt watch those, and also if you have time watch all of his vids, i would love if i have patience to watch all of his vids, definitely worth spending time...

Now i dont know if you can play at ftp and PS best for you si to play at bankroll mob, specially at FTP, it is not hard to cash small there if you play tight enough...

And best thing, what worked best for me is reading and posting here, and of course if you have separate internet connection to play CC FR at the same time, post here and make it to the FR club you have a great insight of how real tournaments should look...

Good luck at the tables!!!

DonV73

DonV73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In general the things you can do to get better:

- analyse hand histories
- discuss them with someone
- watch training videos (lots of good, free, videos out there)
- read books (same here, lots out there)
- visit forums like this one
- experience : just play

zegaum

zegaum

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are many theories on how to learn to play (with excellence) poker. They say the study is 70% and 30% practice.

but hey, honestly, for me, it has been difficult to read a good book, or spend hours studying.

I think the best thing to do is read the forums posts, discutis hands with others, watch good videos that are available and is clarro, lots of practice.

Over time, can you "get" better when it's time to go all-in, or when it is time to abandon a good hand and fold ...

Akorps

Akorps

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"Tournament Poker for Advanced Players" by David Sklansky is the best book I know of.

T

tmn0312

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just found this channel on Youtube. Gripsed. Guys got a lot of good stuff on there.

R

rumsey182

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In general the things you can do to get better:

- analyse hand histories
- discuss them with someone
- watch training videos (lots of good, free, videos out there)
- read books (same here, lots out there)
- visit forums like this one
- experience : just play
this, and likely sign up for a good training site like cardrunners/ deucescracked/ tournament poker edge and watch a lot of videos and assimilate their thinking

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
My experience has been that reading or watching videos, even if it's a great source like Harrington's or some other book, didn't help me as much as it could have if I didn't have enough experience because the lessons wouldn't make that much sense. IMO you can read and watch videos until you're old and gray, but there's no substitute for experience which means not only playing thousands upon thousands of hands, but continually analyzing what you're doing.

Randall McMurphy

Randall McMurphy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My experience has been that reading or watching videos, even if it's a great source like Harrington's or some other book, didn't help me as much as it could have if I didn't have enough experience because the lessons wouldn't make that much sense. IMO you can read and watch videos until you're old and gray, but there's no substitute for experience which means not only playing thousands upon thousands of hands, but continually analyzing what you're doing.

I agree with this, now here's a really obscure quote from a movie...

"You learn by doing."

R

rrph3rtbkr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hello mate , i am in the same boat as u r and i am too trying to improve my game skills
first of all we have to have patience as we cant became pro overnight and started crushing table the next morning.
First u have to decide what kind of tourney u targeting ,I m trying for normal MTT
(the gameplay,the ahnd ranges all are diff here).
lots of different type of game are there Normal, turbo,hyper turbo so pick ur game and follow the routes in which u wanna go , dont try to hold everything at a time as every game require diff skills set .
Read books like
super sytem ,etc and i m agree with donv73 suggestion u should do that .
In a MTT game the Post flop game is very important which is not that important in turbo and hyper turbo game ..
u will find lots of all in caller in most freeroll tourney ..
if u r in poker stars then play freeroll tourney like Pokerschoolonline and hubble which are normal game and u will find all in caller there but u can fold ur mariginal hand there and u can w8 for good spot there as blinds are normal there and u can make some money there too ..
have patience and yaa keep on practicing .u will have ur day soon

T

Theengenir

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
There is many exersize how to prove your game.
Try to see your hands and write notes to your self " how you can play those hands better "
The most important thing for me is work on mine.
How you play your best after breaks /ups i mean to stay focus on your game and control the tilt.
Bankroll is also the most important thing.
GL

B

Beyond_Space

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank everyone for input, I try little by little to take advice and use it to help me out

strodawg

strodawg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Craziness!!

I am really am getting fed up with these donkeys on bovada. Why does KK get trampled by J5 off suit from the flop? I raised 237 with the first hand of the tournament. The blinds are only 20 how ironic is it 976 flop and he bets 239 range. so I shove dont you know the 4 turns 3 river.

This happens regularly, I have been experimenting unfortunately with real money. I do the same stuff on purpose just cause I double up on crap slow down get tight. waiting for good card and play them hard on pre-flop get a bluffed with a shove to call, and then get screwed 85% of the time.

So I would suggest to watch out on calling pre-flop all-in's if you chip leader at your table

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just realize that tourney play is very swingy and full of variance. Some crazy play is necessary in the right spots. (lol @ the comments about Abdi, but maybe you should look at where he did some "crazy" thing and ask him why? It may actually have been a good play??? Abdi, are you playing crazy again??????:)

You can make the right move every time and still not get ITM. You have to accept that. If you cannot handle busting out of most tourneys with out cashing, tourneys are not for you. This also happens to really good players, so you have to know this.

"Crazy" play will be a part of play, but when explained by the player (I am talking good players now, not mindless agro spew) there will be legitimate reasons and logic behind the play.