How do you stick with your BRM plan after a big win?

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On Sunday night I got my first big payday from Bovada. I finished 4th in a 7K guaranteed tourney and got $855 or so. That increased my BR by more than 500% to over $1,000!

I am cashing out $500 to get my original deposit back plus a nice profit and I will leave the rest on the site to continue playing. When you get a big win like that, do you start playing the higher buy-in MTTs or SNGs? Move up to the higher tables? Or should I keep grinding away at the $.05/$0.10 tables and the $3/$5 SNGs and the $10 or less MTTs?

SeaRun

SeaRun

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
SNIP<<<< When you get a big win like that, do you start playing the higher buy-in MTTs or SNGs? Move up to the higher tables? Or should I keep grinding away at the $.05/$0.10 tables and the $3/$5 SNGs and the $10 or less MTTs?

That's a question only you can answer. Do you think you can beat your current games steady enough to make a move up?

If the answer is yes, move up, give it a shot!

If the answer is not really, and you're struggling to keep cash games in a positive X.X/100 bbs, then maybe you shouldn't.

V

vic75

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would keep grinding away at the lower stakes that's a good finish GL ;)

dealio96

dealio96

The LAG Monkeys
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you wouldn't of cashed out half your roll I'd say to move up to 11 mtts. You can also "shot take" here and there but if you are doing well in the limits you're playing in now, just stay there and crush em until you feel its time to move up..GL on the felts!

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a great questions, and I think it's important to be honest about your own game/focus on the long-term results. It is natural to overestimate our skill level after a big score, and question ourselves in a downswing.

For me, when I have had a large score in the past it hasn't actually changed the stakes that I normally play-- I have just allocated a small amount for playing some tourneys a but above my normal buy in cap. So you could allocate a bit of $ for some slightly higher games while still mainly playing as you normally do.

Congrats on the score and good luck! :)

rancidcarp

rancidcarp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if based on percentages its easy just stick to it. but after a big win is the worst time for me to play anything. Sometimes it carrys over but mostly its throwing money away for a day or so.

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the great advice. I did play a $22 MTT buy-in last night and lasted quite a while, but did not make the money. I'm going to stick with what I know for now until I get my stack back up to four figures again, then maybe I'll convince myself I'm ready to try the higher stakes.

Is the caliber of play noticeably different at the higher levels? I am constantly amazed at how many bad players there are on Bovada.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the great advice. I did play a $22 MTT buy-in last night and lasted quite a while,
How long you lasted in one tournament is not even a remotely reliable indicator of whether you have enough game to play regularly at that level.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Congrats sir.

Now you are marked a winning player.

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How long you lasted in one tournament is not even a remotely reliable indicator of whether you have enough game to play regularly at that level.

Never said it was. I'm going to hang out at the $15 or below levels for now for MTTs and SNGs and see if I can continue to build my BR.

N

nykaktak

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I remember won on fulltiltpoker.com their first 4371$,then remember I immediately the next day sat down to play cash games and opened 2-4 table limits 0.50$-1$ well and played tournaments 24$ and all kind of went uphill,the main thing, as I don't play very expensive tournaments, because what happens with AA proigryish)

catchitfool

catchitfool

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sometimes i will play bigger mtt after a big win, i like to play around 10% of my br a day so if i have $100 i play 10 prob 5 mtt all $1 or so if i hit and have $500 ill bump it up to around $50 for the daY gl and nice win

Karozi615

Karozi615

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
congrats on the withdrawal - in my opinion after a big cash you should go even MORE conservative in BRM. Do whatever you feel comfortable with

D

dakota4real

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice pick up

hi there, feels good to get a little chunk o change huh, It took me a while but i finally cracked a game at PS for $179. Felt great and since then just been steadily improving my game at tourneys and single table sit n gos...good luck

D

dakota4real

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
trying to get to 4 figures this year, been slow but I think by years end if I dont hit 4 figures I will at least reach a bigger BR than I ever had in online poker ever.
Just takes one though...

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
trying to get to 4 figures this year, been slow but I think by years end if I dont hit 4 figures I will at least reach a bigger BR than I ever had in online poker ever.
Just takes one though...

Yes it's funny how that one big score can be a huge change. I had made it to 2 final tables before, but both times went out early and got less than a $100 payday. The pressure really builds as you get to the final spots and you start seeing the difference. Every time somebody would go out, it would be like a $200 jump to the next prize level. I finished 4th and got $855. Third place was around $1,100, second was like $1,500 and then first was almost $2,200! That's some serious jack.

M

matiusaa

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends. If you feel you are not crushing the current level you are playing in you shouldn't player higher ones, even if you have the proper bank for that

BigJamo

BigJamo

Aussie Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are withdrawing, I would stay at the same level.

I have just kept building, from nothing & only just reached the level im happy with. Once I have gone to the next level. I might think about withdrawing, but would have to go back a level.

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is only upstreak, it is not necessary to climb the higher limits, you can only skip played limit, and move to the next. Example If i play $1 SNG i can move $2 not more,
but if I start to lose, I'll go to the last limit $1..

N

nykaktak

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
and in general certainly to win tournament pretty difficult, I don't understand as регуляры it do? after all someone can always beat you having weaker hand, you use any poker programs? ?

tothbopo

tothbopo

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would do as you. Cash out and keep playing like nothing has happened.

If you make three or four big wins. Maybe you should reconsider.

It's all about feelings and feeling comfortable playing.

D

DonkeyH3AD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
one win means nothing but if You feel You are a better player than most of another players on your level You should move up

eidikos

eidikos

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi!
keep grindind until you build a bankroll from that playing (0.05/0.10 and 3-5 sng) then you can move up
a lucky tournament means nothing and almost everyone can have a big cash there

LuckyBundy13

LuckyBundy13

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not sure if anyone mentioned this but I would recommend you play satellite tourneys for cheap buy ins into those "bigger" tournaments.