How do you handle a bad start in a MTT

JPoling

JPoling

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am just wondering. How does everyone handle bad starts in MTT's. I don't mean like you lose right away. But struggling. Like lose 1/4-1/2 stack off the start. Does this cloud your mind at all? Do you get tilty if it happens? I tend to have some shakey starts sometimes but way I handle it is knowing it is so early and all I gotta do is keep playing right and be patient and try to turn it around which usually I can. I just am wondering how do you guys/gals handle it.

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I am just wondering. How does everyone handle bad starts in MTT's. I don't mean like you lose right away. But struggling. Like lose 1/4-1/2 stack off the start. Does this cloud your mind at all? Do you get tilty if it happens? I tend to have some shakey starts sometimes but way I handle it is knowing it is so early and all I gotta do is keep playing right and be patient and try to turn it around which usually I can. I just am wondering how do you guys/gals handle it.

That is exactly what I do when I run bad @ the start, I tighten up and don't play any marginal hands. While I tighten up I make notes on certain people at my table.

JPoling

JPoling

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That is exactly what I do when I run bad @ the start, I tighten up and don't play any marginal hands. While I tighten up I make notes on certain people at my table.
MMhmm especially the calling stations so when I do catch a hand.

R

rumsey182

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it shouldn't matter most tournies you are decently deep first few levels so losing a pot or a chunk of your stack doesn't actually mean that much if your still 100BB deep just keep grinding away

now if this often happens every tourny, you are likely playing too many hands or too marginal of situations

E

eelsthefan

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I tend to play very tight at the beginning of the tourni as it seems most people are playing much looser and calling a wide range of hands pre and post flop as they feel like rumsey182 that it doesn't matter at the start, they can make it up. Try to take advantage of this by betting more with your premium made hands.

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tighten up and wait for the monster hand to arrived.You cant afford to make any more mistake.Dont play any marginal hands.

JPoling

JPoling

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am really liking all these responses guys/gals. Just remember. These MTT's are not a sprint. But a marathon. Even if we are late out the gate.

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Panic and shove all in the first time you get an ace or a pocket pair! That'll work every time.

taban13

taban13

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If this happens then I usually try to wait for good hands and go Ollin/. And if the play is usually doubled up on if not then not.

newbie in training

newbie in training

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i dont really play any different if i tighten up than its really hard to build a stack but normally i comfortable because ive got peace in mind when if got iver 15 bb

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2

tothbopo

tothbopo

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stay focused play like you use to and wait for the chips to return

zarzar78

zarzar78

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Patience, patience and patience , that the only thing i have to do.
If the blind become too high for my stack, then i will try to double up or stealing some blinds !

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First off, avoid getting in that situation about "bad start".

Dont lose hope if you are crippled at start. Maximize things by accumulating chips bit by bit until bringing back your stack. Your not desperate since its still early. Many players I saw with great comebacks. What we need is just a chip and a chair as they say.

P

pokieman04

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I have a bad start, I tighten up a lot, I try and wait for only the best hands and try to get a double up to get back to about even or more than starting stack

manolitosc

manolitosc

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all keep calm.
Don´t go on tilt.
Don´t waste your time in how you can take revenge against that guy who won you!
Think is only a game, enjoy it, play your A game.
and when you get a premium hand, go all in!

T

ticoarm

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First, you should tighten up your range.
Then you should find the calling station, and try to win him when you have a monster.
Be patient is the key.

Martinez

Martinez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just play your A game and stick to top starting hands.
I once came back to win from loosing 85% of my stack 3rd hand in with KK to QQ who hit the river.
35 chips left with nearest player sitting on 1350 chips.
Just never give up and don't get angry and tilt.

Himanshu

Himanshu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this is a really good articles about MTT it helped me try and correct my plays in early mtt situations
tilt is something that you need to avoid in poker if you get unlucky early that means you will get lucky when stakes are high so Cheer up yourself and play according to the plan if you get unlucky there is always a next time.
https://www.cardschat.com/early-mtt-tournament-strategy.php

wanderingthehall

wanderingthehall

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It doesn't bother me, especially online. I'm not worried at all about busting out online, because there's always another a game. If I'm playing live, I always go with enough money to re-buy/re-enter or play a live game afterwards. If I play live, I care about getting the playing time in and try not to worry about the variance on a particular day.

More specifically though, I just keep playing my normal game, but adjust for relative stack size compared to my opponents.

developer716

developer716

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
try to play even medium-sized hands and connectors, with small levels it is easier to do and poslednee time comes,always at the table make notes for yourself which sits FISH and where not !

D

DoloBrolo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Usuually I try to evaluate those around me and try to pick my positions welwl. There really isn't too much you can do if you end up severely short stacked so I try to stay calm and play well. The reality is that I sometimes tilt but that's just part of the struggle for me.

alext9000

alext9000

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Patience, patience and patience , that the only thing i have to do.
If the blind become too high for my stack, then i will try to double up or stealing some blinds !

this is indeed, the best advice, because waiting the right hand it s the best choice.. maybe some limps too..with the cards you like to play,just to see how the hand evolves..but most of us lose after we make the wrong call.
sometimes when you see a winning hand, of which u didn't call u feel like a lot of anger..most of it when you could eliminate somebody,and with the badluck you get eliminated by that one ..

Blu2323

Blu2323

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really don't belive that a bad start is a huge deal for a big MTT. Like a few people already said, you are deep stacked in relation to the blinds in the beginning. So what i like to do is check the blind levels, see how my new smaller stack is going to be looking after a few increases and be more selective in the hands i play. Look for cheap ways to get in to a pot. Don't just shove your good hands unless you are so short stacked that you lose your fold equity. But really, it is hard to give you very solid advice because of how many different situations you can come by. Sometimes you can find that loose fish that will call your 25bb-100bb with some crazy hands(we have all seen it) but unless you have a really good read on your table you want to play those good hands to get value from them. Even some of the worst fish know when to fold 98 off to your shove. But most of them will call your value bets when you have them dominated the whole time. Most of the time even with a big loss of chips there is still a lot of poker to play.

tARsh

tARsh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is it a re-entry? Lol if so I just dump and come back in, foster a bad image and then line it back up.
If not, then nit nit nit wait for premiums and hope your lack of FE (Fold Equity) inspires weak calls and you hold!

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands