how to bounce back from a bad loss

D

dukeblue

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello all,

I want to know how everyone deals with a tough loss. what do you do to calm yourself, especially when you had them beat and they sucked out on you?

maik357

maik357

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just play on. It has happened so often to me, it seems natural for poker. You win some you lose some that is how competion goes. Would be nice if everyone could win but we have to imagine from where do all the prizes come.
When I first started playing poker bad beats really aggravated me. After awhile one comes accustomed to it. I really hated it having AA and some one bets all in with rags and they suck out with something better at the river. I even hit an A in the flop AAA Man I was like this game ....
I always end up playing again and as time goes on the bad beats are easier to deal with.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're to take tournament seriously then you really need to not let it affect you at all. The variance in MTT poker is so so high that you will lose the majority of the time.

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try not to be so result oriented,dont tilt and stay focus.

PokerFunKid

PokerFunKid

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can only play your best game. Hope the cards will start falling better for you.

zEric7x

zEric7x

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can only play your best game. Hope the cards will start falling better for you.

I 100% agree. This states what I was going to say. When I have a really bad loss I take a break and try my 100% next time. I also note any potential mistakes I have made myself.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you notice you are always losing because of bad beats/suck outs, you have to stop.

There is always another day.

Rawdeal1955

Rawdeal1955

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wait a little before playing again think back to see if I over played or bet the hand. I then try to stay calm. I also remember what my dad told me win with grace lose with honor.Then my next game I try to slow down get reads do the math. Get back to my game and try to kick butt.

suby_rafael

suby_rafael

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to be mentally strong to deal with such situations. Don't get all upset for a long time, sure everyone feels disappointed but you have to put it behind you as quick as you can and not let it affect you. So take it as part of the game and learn to accept the situation whether the villain got lucky then accept that you played right that should be your motivation. If you played bad realization of your mistakes is important to accept it and improve from it.

Always think to be successful in long run, not every hand in which you get it in as favorite - you are bound to lose some of these..;)

R

revskip

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After a really bad beat that knocks me out of a tournament I usually take 5 or 10 minutes away from the table to collect myself. If I am still seated and haven't been knocked out I'll type out nice hand to my opponent, doing that helps me to blow off some of the steam and shows the table that one beat isn't going to get in my head.

B

Boyle mrunson

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you notice you are always losing because of bad beats/suck outs, you have to stop.

If you're getting sucked out a lot it also means you're getting your money in good a lot. Keep
playing as long as you can handle a few bad beats.

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Man that used to make me so mad, and sometimes it still does. But since I been here and reading posts like this, I've changed some and I have to deal with those bad beats and go on to the next hand. But you know what, I beat myself a lot too, because like I've said on here before, I click before I think. I don't do that much anymore. I've slowed down and I think every hand through. You can lose money by the way you bet even when you have the winning hand.

T

thatgreekdude

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just finished my session, was down 5BI's within the first few minutes, finished the session up 4BI's, just focus on your play and decision making, ignore the losses.

It's always crueler to lose in tournaments to a bad beat, just know that there's nothing you could of done, you got your chips in ahead and that's all you can do in poker.

sandund

sandund

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello all,

I want to know how everyone deals with a tough loss. what do you do to calm yourself, especially when you had them beat and they sucked out on you?

Some things are hard to forgot, especially if the huge amount of money is involved. I wass pretty much shocked with repeating of some extra crazy situations....; Classic hand: 77, flop: 2,5,7 off
opponent push all in on something like K8, and win.
When this kind of things happened to me more than two times in one hour of playing, I`m overdosed.:(

Mordecoke

Mordecoke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try not thinking about the hand in a bad beat.
It will consume your thoughts.
If it gets too serious, take a break!
Try walking it off, it's a real stress reliever :D

D

dukeblue

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
thanks everyone for your input! keep them coming

R

rocksolid124

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Review hh's. Keep on playing. Really all you can do.