help me with the final piece of the puzzle!!!

newbie in training

newbie in training

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ive been playing micro stakes tourneys for quite some time but the last 20 or so i changed my strategy and find myself coming in top 20 or 30 out of field 150+ on the regular basis for example last night came in 20th out of 139 and 30th out of 600

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well you did not say what part of the puzzle is missing. But let me guess. You want to know how to get to the final table. Seems like to me you are doing all the right things to get 30th out of 600. But one thing I know for sure is that the closer you get to the final table the tighter you should play. And every place counts, right? But I'm no expert, and am taking a lot of advice from here to put my game together. But there are some real players here. Continue to post your concerns and you will get plenty of answers.

REALITYPOKER

REALITYPOKER

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We need more information on what the missing piece of the puzzle is and what is your question to better assist you.

newbie in training

newbie in training

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We need more information on what the missing piece of the puzzle is and what is your question to better assist you.
basically im asking how do you make it to the final table and i feel that im too loose once i build up a huge stack because i never change my strategy but im not sre?

counts24

counts24

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All the tourny's you are playing are like playing large mtt freerolls. Play tight, get one real good hand an hour and you can win. Don't play bad cards, people will call all in with next to nothing and if you have something you win. Call with small pairs, don't raise and if you don't hit your set get out. You have to get to the final table to win and you will never get there if you play loose.. That's not how the game works. Loose players will go from last to first to out of the tourny in ten minutes. I play three or four games at a time to avoid boredom. That is probably your biggest problem.

A

AviCKter

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, I might play super-aggressive in the early stages (like the first hour or two, depending on the tournament) and then loosen a bit in the middle stages. And go back to tight in the last phases (like the 20-30 players left).

That or, I play super loose from the beginning and keep tightening my range as the tournament progresses. So, I become super-tight in the last phases.

But that's just me. As far as your game is concerned, I think you need to find your own place. You have to know which style suits you better (whether playing tight in the early stages or loose, and mix the game as you go) and keep doing it. You'll find your mojo.

Best of luck!

P

pokrjoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
with no more information im gonna guess. you are over playing marginal hands in the late stages against the wrong stacks. micros and freerols are generally weak players with the very basic fundamentals and minimal understanding

i suggest not playing against big stacks without good hands and/or position
use mid pairs, suited paint, weak aces, if you can in position to force short stacks action

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I knew several players would give you some good feedback newbie. When I first got started on here I asked so many questions that I thought they might get tired of answering them. But you know what I was told? "Don't ever stop asking questions if I wanted to better my game"So ask and try to use the advice you are given. GL

L

Lekoo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try to keep playing tight once you have accumulated a big amount of chips. When in position try to steal blinds regulary. Just dont call with marginal hands when someone shoves.

newbie in training

newbie in training

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
im thinking of maybe play my average game for the first few breaks more or less depending on pace of tourney and then tightening up a bit? i noticed that i almost always end up top 5 with 40 left but never get past ten so maybe too loose?

newbie in training

newbie in training

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
also...i have my last $20 on all accounts :( after only putting in 30 and bring my fr brs up all the way to 120 i think its taught me a lot this year because i could playwhenever i wanted to!

J

Jpetro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree that you have to play even tighter at the end of those big fields. Try to steal the blinds every other orbit. It should be easy to do if your playing tight.