going dormant in middle stages.

rancidcarp

rancidcarp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I catch myself building a good stack in the beginning sometimes and forgetting what got me there whether it be card dead or just mental or whatever. I'm sure alot of players fall into this trap. Whats some good tips on how when after building a good stack early to maintain that momentum i seem to lose for a while? it doesnt always happen but it happens

DaveE

DaveE

Solvem probler
Project Moderator
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Obv wait to catch people with your monsters like you're doing, but shoot off the odd 3 bet vs agros and steal some blinds with mediocre hands from the CO+. Neither will significantly hurt your stack and will usually increase it.

mendiolacubicle

mendiolacubicle

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't be afraid to steal and CBET from a raise, blinding out is much worse than losing some in an attempt to chip up.

Ducbim

Ducbim

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Totally agree, in regular tournaments you play to win, not to stay. I was a long time cash game player and I realize that I have made a lot of mistake when playing too tight in tournaments. You will be blinded out if you just wait for premium hands or pocket pairs. You have to constantly steal and protect blinds in order to make it to final table to earn some decent cash.
Good luck at the tables man!

B

Blue_Fossil

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I run into the same problem quite a bit. In the first hour of an online MTT, I am often able to steadily build my stack. By that I mean, starting with 3000 chips and hitting the first break with 6-7K, give or take.

In the 2nd hour, the short-stacks are the biggest menace for me - or the guys that buy in at the first break. These guys are desperate to double up and have opened up their range - shoving with any Ace, any pair, any suited face cards, etc. If I'm card-dead, it's foolish to try to outdraw them. One wrong move and I'm the guy shoving KJ.

Of course, there are times when I'll have hands/situations where I can call the short-stack. When it goes my way, even just one time, I can usually make a good run. If I survive the flurry of short-stack shoves in the 2nd hour of online tournament, I feel very good about my chances for cashing.