should i play differently for both types ?'
if yes how differently should i play?

1ofTheFellas

1ofTheFellas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You come across alot of players in freerolls playing super loose, getting all in frequently trying to amass a stack or bust. Typically the freeroll fields thin VERY QUICKLY, and wittle their way down to a smaller field before the first break.

Buy in tournaments still get tons of fish, but there are far fewer players just shoving all in blind, etc...

Be prepared in freerolls to see some crazy stuff early lol

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Another thing that I've noticed with freerolls is the large proportion of people who are sitting out, so pay attention to your position within these dead seats because you can sometimes steal the blinds with any hand at no risk. Also, if for example you're in the hijack and the cutoff and button are sitting out, you now essentially have the button and can play accordingly.

N

notyouneek

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd say play freeroll a lot more often:) At least for me, until I figure out ranking and position and all of that.

I

indahood193

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
free roll players are terrible. will literally stack off with anything, cannot maintain there stack, will spew, will tilt, won't 3 bet, won't shove into short stack, don't have a clue about the bubble. need i go on haha. basically if you play a solid, tight game you will get a lot of chips.
at mtt's where there is a buy in, usually at the lowest ones you still get a lot of free roll type players. however there are usually some okay players who have an idea of what they are doing. as you move up in stakes there are still exploitable fish but they are better and not as spewy, but still a great source of chip building. gl!

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
how difference is between freeroll and buyin tournament ,

In freerolls play a lot of weak players, that don't think about some strategy. They goes all in in first hand. They are recenational players often. They play often very loose. In buyin tournament people play more tight, because they invest their money. Game is more serious. They think what they do.
IMO in freeroll you should play a little more loose than buyin tournament, because it is for free.

J

jmonking67

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
From my personal experience in freerolls, you are gonna want to change your strategy but only to a certain exstent.
Keep in mind that around 90% of the field will most likely be recreational fish players that are just there to have fun, not really win. They will try to build a massive stack or just bust and wait for the next freeroll. You might want to try to play a little looser and getting you're chips in light against freeroll players because most of the time they will have garbage hands. Just sit back and play tight for the first blind levels and examine the play style of the players on you're table. Sometimes getting it all in light with hands like A10 suited could be very profitable because most of the time you will have em dominated due to bad play from bad players.

R

RaisingYa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The play is significantly different between freerolls and real money buy-ins. Freerolls people have often nothing invested to play the tourny therefore they play alot looser and are filled with many newer players. I find freerolls extremely easy to cash in compared to the standard buy in tourny. I think in a free roll you can play many more flops and try to hit part of hit and someone is almost always willing to pay you off.

DJ SimtEQs

DJ SimtEQs

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are a lot of stupid players in freerolls, not so much in the private ones though.

blackplanet

blackplanet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's amazing to me how knowledgeable some of you guys on cc are of poker. I guess I should have been paying attention along time ago. I swear I've learned more in the last few days just reading posts than I have in years playing poker. Looking forward to making friends and gaining a bit more knowledge about my play.

Paragon

Paragon

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In freerolls you could go all in with a wider range of hands at the start of the tournament, as there are many fish who will go all in with any two cards. Tournaments with real money buy-ins tend to have more professionals playing, and you can be sure that when they go all in, they have a monster. In my opinion, the early stages of a freeroll are the most profitable, but later on you need skill to progress to the finals.

Juanes1913

Juanes1913

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In freerolls you will found a lot of loose players pushing all in with marginal hands, so play tight and avoid the all in's in the begining

V

vic75

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My advice is too play good tight aggressive poker when you get the cards but with freerolls a lot of people like too hit the allin button a lot with weak hands but the odds turn in your favour when you have a premium hand vs a donk hand

AtiFCOD

AtiFCOD

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
how difference is between freeroll and buyin tournament ,

There is difference even between freerolls. Eg a CC freeroll has much more good players than a standard new player freeroll in a room.
Of course in feerolls the field is weaker than in buy-ins usually and there are sitouts, sometimes a lot of sitouts.
So yes, freerolls sometimes need another gameplay (because of sitouts, maniacs, hobby poker players etc...). But all in all I usually play the same gamestyle in both tournament types. ;)

B

brucequan00

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
in freeroll you would meet so many very loose players,almost every hand have people shove allin, plus blinds increase quickly normally. to play and get chips from them, you also need to fight with them. that really needs lucky especailly in the beggining.

buyin toney of course is far different, the higher the buyin the tighter the player becomes. easy to understand, people respect their money.

Fuffufnick

Fuffufnick

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think a big pot mentality in the early stages of a freeroll is the way to go. What I mean is to sit tight and wait for a premium hand then try to get allin while hoping it holds. bluffing is useless imho and playing speculatives is all about luck since you'll always get callers doing exactly that. In the later stages, once most of the "gamblers" are eliminated and and peeps have some time invested in the game, some solid MTT strategies can be employeed.

Aleksei

Aleksei

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Another thing that I've noticed with freerolls is the large proportion of people who are sitting out, so pay attention to your position within these dead seats because you can sometimes steal the blinds with any hand at no risk. Also, if for example you're in the hijack and the cutoff and button are sitting out, you now essentially have the button and can play accordingly.
That's easily the best part about freerolls. :p People don't give a flying **** so they'll register and forget about it, and leave dead blinds.

I once ran deep in a Seals freeroll because throughout most of the tournament I got sat into a table where literally everyone was sitting out. Still bubbled in 4th though. :(

steveiam

steveiam

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played in a freeroll once when I played for over an hour with 8 people sitting out..great for my chip stack. lol

R

rugby0

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Read harrington,s volume 2 for freeroll advice.

B

bernotas22

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
freerolls deep runs help your confidence

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I assume if you're talking about freerolls and buy-ins you will be playing micros.

If that's the case, then play exactly the same. Players are just as terrible in micro games as freerolls, just less spewy because they have a little invested but overall you won't notice a difference in skill even up to the $10.00 level. You will just see a few more regular players who are just nits anyway.

Don't even bother playing freerolls unless they are private freerolls, just get grinding micros and move up when you can :)

dresturn2

dresturn2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The variance is way higher in freeroll tournaments but there isnt much difference even in buyins until you get higher up.....the cheaper the game the more the variance

_FISHFEET81_

_FISHFEET81_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
free rolls I find extremely easy on stars. Just play your premium hands and medium hands if a fish hasn't gone all in already. Find it easy to get a ticket to the weekend money tourney. Compared to the tourneys I play such as the 2.20 4.40 or whatever 180/360 cap games find it is still loose but you can also gain great experience about tourneys.

stevenright

stevenright

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depends on the freeroll... those 100k privilege in pokerstars i get in the money almost everytime... you just wait for a good hand, raise high, someone will always call or shove, then call and have your chips.. do it about 3 or 4 times... wait the first hour pass, then you're in the money and with good chips to play with...

with the other freerolls i don't even care,.. just go all in with nice hands and if after the first hour you're still in and with good chips, just play serious to get the most free money you can...

can't wait to play the cadschat freerolls, they look great, good prizes and very restricted public

Freeroll Passwords