Folding two pair on 9 J Q flop?

playtheman

playtheman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I raised with j9s from late position, one before the button, had been playing tight, looking to mix it up a bit
2.5 x raise
Button calls and so does bb

Flop is j9q rainbow. Flop two pair.

Villain in the big blind checks.
Hero bets 2/3 pot
button folds
Villain in the bb reraises 3 times my bet. I tank and end up folding.

This is at sng $1.50, Ive been in this spot before, and I have shoved before and gotten snapped by the nut straight.

I dont have a read on my opponent in the bb.
Not at this stage.

Was folding the right play?

C

Caesura

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I cant remember how many times my two pair flop has been beaten by a straight by the river so personally I would say yes, good fold, but it would have to depend on how many bbs you have left and any reads.

In the grander scheme did you make it itm?

playtheman

playtheman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I cant remember how many times my two pair flop has been beaten by a straight by the river so personally I would say yes, good fold, but it would have to depend on how many bbs you have left and any reads.

In the grander scheme did you make it itm?

currently heads up with another reg player after knocking out the villain from the op ;)

ok finished second. sadly, my heads up game works well against people who shove alot, but this reg was just as tag as me, so it lasted a while until we both hit good hands.

Last edited:
C

Caesura

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I would say well played, you lived to see another hand and could have won the tournament.

Like to know what a cash gamer would do in the same situation though...

H

hrix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In these situation I play extremely tight, because two pairs is not the hand that will win a lot of pots (in this situation it is very dangerous hand that can cost you a lot of chips). When I see another J or 9 on Turn or the River I just try to play agressive and sometimes I act myself like I caught a set so people with straight try to win it.

S

smihailov

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like Caesura said depends on your and his stack and the level you played. I think a call to see the turn would be also a good play.

S

smihailov

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I would say well played, you lived to see another hand and could have won the tournament.

Like to know what a cash gamer would do in the same situation though...

I play cash mostly than tournaments. In this situation I would call to see the turn and continue to the river only if there is not a bigger card than Q on the board. I have a position, so it will be easy to get rid of the hand. If the other player checks all the other streets and there is no K or A on the board I will double the pot then.
I think the Villain here had A 10, A J, or A Q and may be K J or K Q

playtheman

playtheman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play cash mostly than tournaments. In this situation I would call to see the turn and continue to the river only if there is not a bigger card than Q on the board. I have a position, so it will be easy to get rid of the hand. If the other player checks all the other streets and there is no K or A on the board I will double the pot then.
I think the Villain here had A 10, A J, or A Q and may be K J or K Q

Im not sure, I think he had the nuts, the dont usually check raise one pair, then bet at it straight away, which is why I layed the hand down.

I made it to the money so I guess it ended up being the right play. But its a tough old spot to be in

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
fold is my first option, but sometimes i am very curious and i pay to see the next one... on my cost

Folding in Poker