Flopping A Low Top Pair

n3rv

n3rv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A couple of times in tournaments I have made a lot of chips by over-betting when I have flopped top pair.

For example, I have a 7 and a 9 and I am big blind. Small blind calls, I check and the flop comes 7, 2, 4.

I over-bet it or maybe even go all-in if I am short stacked and the blinds are high. I generally either get ace highs calling, flushes and straight draws, or under pairs.

Basically the idea is that I don't want another card to come off and if it does they have to risk their stack as well and pay a premium price for it. Some people will call because they think they have equity, and some people just want to gamble.

However, obviously there will occasionally be an over-pair or a set being slow-played pre-flop which will basically end my tourney. It is times like these when I realise my strategy is pretty stupid, but I have found very few ways of knowing what my opponent has and getting value out of the situation.

It is a situation I generally try and avoid, but what do you do if you flop a low top pair?

DrazaFFT

DrazaFFT

public static void
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Well bet sounds like a good idea specially late and close to the bubble when everyone tighten up you have good chances to win the pot right there. But imo you dont want to make oversized bet there with not really a premium hand and risk a lot of chips or entire tourney, you'll get same effect with 3/4 or a pot sized bet and if you get called or raised you'll probably behind and should stop right there...

n3rv

n3rv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, good points, a pot sized bet should get a similar effect, and can stop if I get raised. I just know I will get called and raised by people bluffing or hoping for an Ace on the river etc. so it gets to me a bit.

nax

nax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually do a 1/2 or pot bet in this case depends on the board, players, stacks etc. If my stack is 3-6BBs I might aswell all-in in some cases, but ultimately just raise! :)

left52side

left52side

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play these cautiously in this situation it is important to know your players styles and ranges,also your position and chi[ stack size are important.
I certainly would bet out to isolate and force ace highs to fold,and when blinds are large and antes are involved I am happy with just that,and not pressuring for a forth street card for drawing hands.
It certainly can be A risky move to put to much in the middle when your top pair is 7. But isolating key drawing hands and smaller aces is a key factor.
Youe nine kicker is what would make me tank over it a bit,and not find it unprobable for someone else to limp or flat with a bigger 7.
but that is where understanding your other players and image and ranges are a key factor in tournament play.

n3rv

n3rv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cheers for the replies guys. In case anyone is still interested...

Hypothetically speaking, if you bet something lower like 1/2 the pot, and the opponent calls with an over-card coming on the turn, what would your next move be?

General thoughts on what to do if a possible flush/straight hit on the river would be helpful as well. I feel continuation betting in these situations is more often than not a recipe for disaster.

Even if you get away with minimal damage it makes you look and feel weak when losing the best hand. Not betting also makes you susceptible to bluffs.

Last edited:
_FISHFEET81_

_FISHFEET81_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
definitely bet out here in this spot, knowing what ind of stack someone has would be easier, and knowing villians range(s) in the spot would be beneficial as well. lots of people would call with the A depending on the bet, I would make the call depending on the price to steal the pot later on the turn or river, probably 3 bet on the turn no matter what.