Fixed Limit Strategy?

CrockPot

CrockPot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So since the CardsChat Poker Series is coming up and there's 2 FL events plus the 8 game event, and the HORSE event I'll be playing in my first ever FL tourney(s), I normally play FLHE cash games on Bovada.

Here's my questions-

1.How are FL tourneys different than NL, besides the obvious betting structure.

2.Will I have an advantage since I normally play FL cash games?

3.How long will a FL tourney take compared to a NL tourney?

4.How do rules like the under 10BB's shove work in FL?

5.How about the 10:1 rule?

6.Are FL tourney's harder than NL tourney's?

Thanks in advance! And good luck in the CCPS!

Diogo Jorge

Diogo Jorge

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So since the CardsChat Poker Series is coming up and there's 2 FL events plus the 8 game event, and the HORSE event I'll be playing in my first ever FL tourney(s), I normally play FLHE cash games on Bovada.

Here's my questions-

1.How are FL tourneys different than NL, besides the obvious betting structure.

2.Will I have an advantage since I normally play FL cash games?

3.How long will a FL tourney take compared to a NL tourney?

4.How do rules like the under 10BB's shove work in FL?

5.How about the 10:1 rule?

6.Are FL tourney's harder than NL tourney's?

Thanks in advance! And good luck in the CCPS!

I would like to know about those questions, because i cant feel comfortable to play on it. What can i do? what is the best way to play?

Just some tips to begin...

el_magiciann

el_magiciann

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The link doesn't work for me too, and this is really nice question about FL it will be cool if somebody inform us about secrets of FL.

wanderingthehall

wanderingthehall

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've only played some cheap online FL tournaments, but the main difference I've noticed is that chasing kills your stacks in a tourney when it doesn't seem to do as much damage playing cash. Even with the right pot odds, drawing hands are not very strong when you get short stacked.

Basically, if you play your normal game and the cards treat you well, you will eventually get to a point where everyone is very short stacked and you will be looking for places to get all your chips in the middle anyways. It's not quite the same as shoving in a nl tourney, but the idea is still the same. The only difference is you'll already have most of your chips in the middle pre-flop, but the rest have to go in on later streets.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
well, i'm quite novice at these myself, but my coach came from the days when everything was limit...and he still crushes limit tourneys.

here's what he has told me, in a nutshell:

1) chasing is no good. implied odds aren't there since you can't play for stacks once you hit

2) it's really all about the discipline of getting that extra bet when you're ahead and saving that extra bet when you're behind.

3) small ball strategies apply for obvious reasons

4) bluffing is still there, but much less a part of the game

5) 5th street is your key decision making street...you should basically know exactly how your'e going to play your hand for the next 2 streets given the various scenarios (like being 2 moves ahead in chess). if you're unsure on 5th street, probably just fold

6) C-betting is practically required in limit flop games

7) in Hi-low games you really want a starting hand with potential to go both ways, high and low.

8) when you've got a lock on half the pot and virtually no equity in the other half the pot and there are 3 players in the hand you DON'T want to jam the pot hard enough that 1 guy folds...you'll do better by keeping the 3rd player in the hand...he is essentially the "profit" that you'll be splitting with the other guy.

9) check raises are a really important part of limit. it's the best way to "protect" your big hands....it's also the most effective way to bluff...but only against thinking, disciplined players.

10) when thinking of your stack, you want to think in terms of "big bets" instead of big blinds....but how those stack sizes match up to specific strategies I don't really know since there is no such thing as "push or fold" in limit... basically it will just tell you how healthy or desperate you are but your options are still always the same: call, fold, raise.

11) your stack goes a little faster in the stud games because the antes make up a bigger portion of each pot

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
as to your question about how fast the tourney will go, it will go much slower then a similar NLHE event...due to the fact that players can't just get short and desperate or tilted or whatever and lose all their chips in 1 hand.

My coach thinks of his stack in terms of "# of hands" he can play all the way to the river if each street were capped (usually 4 raises per street). so that equates to 16 big bets "per hand". Now, frequently each street will NOT be capped, so it is sort of a "worst case scenario" way of looking at your stack size, but it's really just a reference point anyways.

so for example if levels were 100/200 x 16 big bets = 3,200 to play 1 hand

my coach feels if he has 4+ hands he is OK, can play his normal game
3 hands....starting to get short and looking for opportunities to make chips however you can..can't wait around forever
2 hands means you really need to win a hand soon
1 hand means you're in bad shape. can't be too picky...gotta go with a decent hand.