Fish play and leaks

R

Raibik13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Played at poker stars last night. $11 freeze out and 63 place paid with 4.5 k guarantee prize pool.

I was opening range as I was getting less that average stack. UTG +1 opens and I call with Q9o. Flop is 9c 5c 3s. He C bet and I flat. Turn was a 7Club with me giving flush draw. He checks and I bet. He flats and river puts a club. One card flush and I had Q. I bet half the pot and he shoves, I call seeing his Ac10h.

I think I was trying to get value out his hand like pocket pairs with a club or even a jack high flush or less. Didn't know he would have nut flush and check twice.

I think I should have re raise him on flop but is it ok with only one pair to re raise? I mean I am protecting against high cards but also giving a chance to bluff. What was my leak?

Any suggestions for HUD stats and 3-bet % software for Mac? I heard there are soft wares like flopzilla and poker tracker.

maik357

maik357

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say strategy was good, and the luck was bad. You knew two cards were better out there, like min.% chance of being beat. The nuts were in the other hand. Happens and you are not alone. :( Just keep on keeping on and learn from the disasters.

L

Lekoo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First you should have made a 3bet on the flop (just checking if he is bluffing or not). Second, when he made check/raise on the river you should have knew that he is ahead and therefore, fold.

maik357

maik357

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lekoo the villian may have flated on 3 bet. I have thought that option also. End result would have probably came same way just other option. I do not believe villian would have folded. The check raise is yes either obvious he had nuts or bluff. No one really knows. I have learned to fold second best hands and also I still call with them. It is hard to fold a full house. In the past I have just to see someone did have a bigger one.

deluns28

deluns28

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You had a good read that he had cards ranging to AK to AT but unable to see the flush draw. sometimes it happens.. A reraise on the flop could have gotten you out of the pot.

L

lagasauras

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
through hand replayer you can improve your game alot

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What is your thought process behind calling an early position raiser with Q9o?

Flop play is fine. It's also ok to raise the flop (and fold to a reraise)

Turn is fine.

But with a 4 flush on the river it is very obvious to everyone that a flush us possible so he is almost never shoving a worse hand. So, it's ok to try and extract value with a river bet but you have to be able to fold that hand to the check raise in that spot...

romych007

romych007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would not go into the game with a hand as well as I would have dropped after his check-raise

micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you were below average stack,
dont know how many BBs you had or what level blinds were

but if I was smaller stacked...
limping into pot is bad,
but...since you got in cheap and hit top pair on flop
I would reraise allin his cbet and hope no overpair

above average stack...
limping into pot bad
but...since you got in cheap and hit top pair
either reraise flop (not necessarily allin) to see where he stands, (and hopefully stop chases)
or call, and hope for 2pr/trips then reraise,
but...turn card completes flush, he checked,
bet was okay (min bet, half pot...?)
<<you dont mention most bet sizes, stacks, villians table image...>>>
but Im ready to check/fold, especially after riv

every situation is dependent on many factors,
and more info would help make my decision easier

hands like that usually more trouble than there are worth and probably will cost you more in the long run (again dependent on many factors)

J

jj20002

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ATo utg+1??? and you paid LP with Q9o, the villain is quite loose and so are you, then the line should be a checkraise in the flop, but what doesnt look right is betting the river in one card flush with Q high, this is only correct if you are bluffing or hold the Ace because nobody is going to pay with a hand worse than yours