First time with a deep stack and im too scared to use it, is this normal?

L

lilmishap

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
im currently playing a freeroll on 888 and ive got further than usual. First time Ive ever played with a deep stack and im suddenly too scared to do anything. Has anyone else had this the first time??

L

lilmishap

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ive sat out to have a ciggie and give myself a talking to

PokerFunKid

PokerFunKid

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey, that is normal. You will need to learn and experience how to play with a big stack.
-Play more prospective hands
-Play more positionally
-3-bet much more in position
-Play your draws more aggressively

Here's a forum from cardschat about big stack play if you want those points in more details: https://www.cardschat.com/deep-stacked-poker.php

BLACKSTACK

BLACKSTACK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
those 888 ds frs are not really ds, Sure they give you 20k starting chips but the blinds start at around 100-200, Its pretty much 2k chips with 10-20 starting levels.

Mordecoke

Mordecoke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, it's perfectly normal to get a little nervous with a big stack, especially when it's your first time.
Their are many factors why we get nervous with a big stack.

(for me)
1. I'm constantly looking at the prize pool and am constantly worried the money
2. I'm worried about doubling up someone
3. I'm worried about playing too tight

These are my main factors when I have a big stack.
I think that you just have to forget about the money and try picking your spots carefully with a big stack.
Don't be too conservative with a big stack either, but also don't be too foolish.
Try raising in position if it is folded to you in late position (you can have a wide range of hands)
marginal hands go up in value when you have a big stack
ex: suited connectors , medium pocket pairs etc.
Try raising these in late or even middle position if you get the chance.

Also, look at how each opponent plays
If someone is too aggressive, Use this to your advantage and let him bluff you off when you have the goods :)
If someone is too conservative, pick your spots wisely with this one. Only get in a pot with them when you know you have a chance to win with the best hand.

Another approach you would probably take is just wait for monster hands. This is alright in a sense, but by the time you do get a monster, you will probably get no action because the rest of the table realizes that you've been playing too tight (conservative).
You have to loosen up a little bit, and when you do get a monster, you will get more action.

This is my take on handling a big stack, you can get a variety of opinions on this matter. Good luck.

Last edited:
suby_rafael

suby_rafael

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You must be scared of losing chips is what i suspect ... Once you play tournaments regularly then you will get used to it.

There is nothing to be scared of when you have a big stack. It has great advantages and you should feel quite secured and quietly confident. Since you say this is your first time with a deep stack then it's alright. It's just nerves .. now you are not short on chips so you don't have to get all your chips in frequently and sweat for your tourney life now and then. Now you can play pots even pick spots to steal some chips. So look at the situation in a positive way instead of worrying about losing chips which is negative thinking hence freezing your decision making ability.:eating:

L

Lekoo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I played my first deepstack or superstack tourney I didnt respected the blinds. I was playing too many hands. Any suited cards, any connectors, any hand where both cards are bigger from T. That lead me to few mistakes and I lost 30% of my stack in the few first levels. The first few levels are like cashgame to me. After that I tightened and everything went fine.

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Search for any weakness on the table and exploit them.Also play some marginal hand if you can get it in cheaply.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
its good to be scared, when you are deep you need to protect your stack and think about ways to minimize your risk

you also want to be weary when effective stack sizes approach 20xs, because then the villian can shove over your small ball raise

Farseer

Farseer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just check if other players seem to fear losing their chips too. If yes, remember that they're much more afraid to take a flip because it'll be their tournament life at risk.

If other players seems like fearless maniacs who doesn't fear to be busted just play tight-aggressive and knock them out with good hands.

In any way... adjust!

Michael Paler

Michael Paler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First, lets look at what most often happens when novice players get a big stack; they either open the range up far too wide or tighten up wayyyy too much, right into being the Mayor of Nitville! They also play far too many hands, a no-no they might well be aware of and forget when stacked.

If you have been raising 2x the whole game, now is not the time to go 3, 4, or 5x! Just keep playing a solid game. What is nice about having chips is that yes, you can play more specultive hands, and bad, as that can quickly erode your stack! So be selective about what you chase and ask the all important "if I make my hand, will I get paid off?"

Sometimes you can chase a really good draw, yet it's obvious you might not get much when you do hit your hand - so why bother? If the other guy wants to get to a cheap showdown, he won't pay you off often enough to make it worth the risk. You see this alot with flush draws - the guy bets the flop with two to a three flush on it, then shuts down when the 3rd flush card hits. If he is worried about the flush and short, he isn't going to ram and jam, paying you off. I'm not saying don't play it, just keep in mind you want to hit your draw AND get paid! Not easy. And if the guy is willing to give you horrible odds to call, why risk it? Sure, maybe 5-12BB's are nothing to you. Add all of them up and you can see yourself quickly losing your big stack. I myself refuse to chase a mere gut shot (4 outs) for 8-15 BB's I might not even get if I do hit!

Chasing draws are still the number two killer of MTT players (playing too many hands no. 1). This does not go away just becasue you have a big stack. Again, play your solid game, but if you should flop a four-flush with an open end straight and think you can get paid for it....that is the risk you should be taking (lots of outs and a large reward if you hit). Not constantly trying to get Johnny's last 6BB's with your measly middle pair keeps you in the big stack.

I would also set, in my mind, what cards you are willing to call a late postition short stack shove with. If it folds around to the button and he shoves 11BB's, I look down at A-10/99 or better, I'm insta calling (unless I'm sure he has a monster). 66-88 is probably a call, although I'm not very happy. 22-55, and only the blinds and antes with his shove...I'll probably pass. I'm sure I'll hear about that last one, as I see many big stacks call all ins with ANY small pair, even up to 30% of the stack they have! I also see these big stacks get reduced really quick refusing to fold semi-decent hands and losing a few coin flips that really would not increase their stack much had they won. And I also would not be crazy about coin flips with only two overcards. AK can get you shorted really fast against 22 and a desperate short stack or loon with a middle stack who only wants to shove preflop. This is one time I might actually fold AK preflop if it looks like I could be up against one short stack and one middle stack - that's the guy I worry about, the bigger stack. If my AK fails to stop him, I could lose a big chunk on a coin flip, so no thanks.

Last edited:
Karozi615

Karozi615

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
your scared money in a freeroll? Dude, don't be afraid to die. In poker its critically important to be fearless and prepared to lose your entire stack. If your playing scared, solid, poker you may give yourself an opportunity to double up but ultimately the better players will assault your blinds and slowly deplete you.

Loosen up your hand ranges slightly, (in position) mix in a few 2 barrels, and as long as your really really deep you can justify playing really bad hands in position.

Deep stacked poker is cool because it completely neutralizes the luck factor and allows the skilled players to dominate.

Michael Paler

Michael Paler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
your scared money in a freeroll? Dude, don't be afraid to die. In poker its critically important to be fearless and prepared to lose your entire stack. If your playing scared, solid, poker you may give yourself an opportunity to double up but ultimately the better players will assault your blinds and slowly deplete you.

Loosen up your hand ranges slightly, (in position) mix in a few 2 barrels, and as long as your really really deep you can justify playing really bad hands in position.

Deep stacked poker is cool because it completely neutralizes the luck factor and allows the skilled players to dominate.

I think the line between "fearless" and "reckless" is the same as "genius" and "insane"; very thin and very debatable.

Very good point - you can afford stuff like the 2 or 3 barrel bluff. However, I'm not firing that 3rd barrel against a guy who just put 1/2 his stack in calling my first barrel..therefore I'm not bluffing short stacks who clearly have some kind of hand because they are more willing to go all the way with weaker holdings than normal. Matter of fact, I'm not bluffing short stacks at all unless it's a clear fold for them when close to the bubble, for example. You can often walk all over them.

But how does a larger stack neutralize the "luck" factor?

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
suggesting that we can start playing more prospective hands because we're deep is not taking into consideration the size of the other stacks on the table.

sandund

sandund

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
im currently playing a freeroll on 888 and ive got further than usual. First time Ive ever played with a deep stack and im suddenly too scared to do anything. Has anyone else had this the first time??
Well, if it`s your first time,very impossible because experience is required. With the more experience, the courage will come. :)

B

Bdubz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The short answer to your question is yes, it happens to the majority of us. When you first start becoming successful with mtts you will build large stacks and be completely clueless as what to do next. Poker is about making correct decisions as often as possible. So to answer the question of what to do next largely depends on the structure of the tournament, what blind level you're at, and the players at your table.

N

nygmen2007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One thing I have learned from top players on the winning network, if you have a large stack then it is important to pick up blinds when you can and make moves to accumulate more chips. You can never be scared or else you will throw your chips away and not do anything. I have lost many a tournament in freerolls, because I was trying to play it safe. I also have lost when I get to aggressive and people call me down with nothing and hit. I have come in 4th 5th 6th and 7th multiple times in the million dollar satty freeroll on winning network. Moral is you can not be scared to make moves... Go for it....

B

Bdubz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
(for me)

Definitely had the same issues earlier on in my game. A really helpful tip I can give you is only look at the tourney lobby for a few things. First when the blind level changes, and next to see when you can take advantage of players on the bubble. There are multiple bubbles of a tournament. Late registration bubble, money bubble, and final table bubble. The money will always be there it's not going anywhere. Focus less on the result and more of how to improve next time.

L

love that omaha

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know if its normal, but you need to try really hard and get over it. The people who win tournaments play at least selectively aggressive when they get a big stack, particularly as the tourney gets closer to the bubble. My advice is to make sure the buy ins are within your bankroll guidelines and to force yourself to at least play slightly more aggressive each time, particularly when you have position against 1 opponent. Aggressive doesn't mean spew your chips in multi way pots out of position but aggressive poker is winning poker.

Michael Paler

Michael Paler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

1. I only worry about this as the money bubble approaches. If short stacked, I want to at least make the money. If middle-big stacked, I only watch out for things that could get me short (ie; all-ins) - stacks almost as big as mine.
2. I only worry about doubling up good players at the table. Even close to the money, you can double up someone weak and just look at it as a deposit in the bank to be withdrawn at a future date.
3. What is "too-tight"? It depends on many factors.

As you approach the money bubble, you would be amazed at how many players screw down so tight you can literally rob them blind. If you are selective in your aggression, you can really add to your stack during this time. For example, you are on the button, and the BB/SB have only 10 BB's or less. You have 30 BB's and K-rag, maybe A rag or nice connected cards, well, you 3x or shove, because they just are not going to call with anything less than a monster. In which case raising might be a good way to go if you do not want to call a shove, as it is 1/3rd of your stack. If it's only 10% however, you shove - because losing will not hurt too much. And since they will not get paid if they call and lose, they are going to have to have a really big hand to call you with.

What you really want to avoid when stacked are as-big or bigger stacks that can really hurt you. When I say "avoid" I mean going to war with slim margins - you do not tangle with one or two pair when in with another big stack that could wipe you out or seriously impair you. But if you play scared you will end up at the final table (maybe), but most likely be short stacked.

I would recommend watching last years wsop. There was a guy who ended up with a huge stack (30 mil or more as I recall) who went bust in just a few hands. 30mil could have seen him coast to the final table with a still-healthy stack, instead he got too aggressive and went out way to soon. His problem was calling off a lot of chips in mediocre situations. By the time he did get a good hand (AK), it lost and he no longer had the stack to support the loss. He would have lost that hand and survived as a still really big stack had he not blown huge chunks of his stack to other players in marginal situations.

Don't get me wrong, making money in marginal situations is the hallmark of a truly good player, in cash games. In MTT's, too many losses in these borderline situations can kill you awfully quick.

B

bigjay2007

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i wasn't on line when this was posted but its awesome for everyone to help this guy out. Must be great for the beginners. i remember well when I was in a very similar situation a few years ago and no knowing what to do. I like to think I improved but did pick up a lot of advise/tips along the way.

Well done members!!!

Bigjay

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's normal to be apprehensive about how to play a big stack until you've gotten comfortable with it and learned the do's and don'ts

DO:
put on the pressure with bets and raises, esp in position.
defend your blinds with marginally playable hands (esp vs. position raises)
bet at flops that you completely miss
expect the short stacks to shove on you, and already know how you'll respond
Isolation jam over the top of short stacks with marginal holdings such as 77,88, ATs

DON'T
call medium stack all ins with marginal holdings
fold good draws on the flop
tango with other big stacks unless you've got the goods
call many post flop bets.

In general with poker you want to be betting and raising instead of calling. This is amplified with a big stack since you can leverage their tourney life against them but they can't do the same to you. Use those chips like a big old night stick and beat them into a place where they're only playing straightforward tight ABC poker.

L

lilmishap

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
wow thank you for all the advice I blinded out in 18th. Got some pennies though so the stress feels worth it. It was the guys who had MASSIVE stacks that scared me, after playing for so long every all in just seemed reckless, My nerves were obvious to a couple of ds players who called me every time, Knowing Id been spotted as timid and was being bullied stopped me playing anything in the end. I was kicking myself with every fold..

H

HelioCastTCG

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you got a stack, get jiggy with it. Don't let fear grab you by the nuts and make you go all virgin nun mode. When I'm deep, I like to apply ''calibrated'' pressure meaning I attack with value hands whenever the opportunity arises, and c-bet/take down most flops in doing so (don't forget that you can three-bet, late, in pos, more often too). If people start to notice you amping up the heat and start to three bet you, then lift your foot off the accelerator and jump in the back seat...let the alarm bells die down then re-attack.

D

DrHorrible

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Having a deep stack means you can afford to make a mistake. The problem most people have is that once they can afford to make a mistake, they do.

The only thing you really need to be scared of with a big stack is tilt...meaning don't let your aggressive moves lead you to overcommitting. Having more chips than your opponents gives you the opportunity to slow down and think more.

It is they who should be scared of you. Be conscious of your table image, and use it to your advantage. Did the rest of the players there see how you chipped up? If it was solid play that got you those chips, they will have seen it and will respect your reraises, giving you money.

If they saw you suck out and triple up, use THAT to your advantage to trap people. Enjoy the ride, most of all. It's not all that common to have a monster stack, and those are OBVIOUSLY what we are trying to achieve.