Final table Play.

K

Karametric

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been trying to get in MTTs more since I enjoy them a lot more than cash. Sadly this means a lot of freerolls at the moment since my BR isn't that big, but they get tolerable after an hour or so. I do the occasional small buyin ones too.

So I've been getting pretty decent at these and am making a good amount of final tables, but i can't seem to navigate them well.

Usual scenario is something like this. I have 3-4BB, Villains range from about 1-7BB save for a big stack that has about 11-13BB. I'm usually somewhere in the middle of the pack. Sometimes we're all about 1.5-2x as deep as that, depending on the tourney structure.

M

matiusaa

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I assume you play turbo MTTs because those stack sizes are incredibly small. With 3-4 bb there's not much you can do hehe. If you are the smallest stack with 3-4bb pushing 50% of deck in every position is ok. I would say even 60 or 70% of deck in CO and BTN. If you have 3-4 bb but there's a shorter stack with 1-2 bb you must wait till it gets eliminated. Your open push ranges in that situation depends on the stacks of the remaining players to act. If all the remaining players have your stack or less you must push really light, if there's a bigger stack you must avoid playing against it, then when you are the shorter stack pushing almost any2 is what you have to do.

21sam

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Turbo MTT stops to be a poker game and becomes a lottery after a few minutes from the beginning. With stack of 10BB and lower you have no option in strategy but all-in or fold. But they are fast and no need to think much, as many like.

J

Jeremy Schatz

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Once your entire table is under 10-15 BB, a tool like Holdem Resources Calculator (free) will just show you the unexploitable range to shove and then you can't do much from there but hope you win some flips. GL out there.

DonSifu

DonSifu

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In short stack formats like the ones you're playing in, you really have no options for skillful play; it's basically a crap shoot, and you just have to get it in good and hope your luck holds up.
If you're running deep and finding success, i suggest you getting into some deeper stack formats, so that way when you do get to the final table, you have a manageable stack size that you can actually play poker with.

14twinsfan18

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you don't have big options, position and cards need to match up in order to stay alive. Great cards play at any position, but if you have mediocre cards, playing aggressively (all-in) can be your best chance if you are last to act.

M

Martinosky11

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on the position of chips, but teorically u should play aggro deepstack , icm strategy if u are in the mid and aggro if u are the short.

TheCol

TheCol

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me at the final tables you really need to pick your hands really carefull. Because just one mistake and your gone. As you know the final table is were you want to be because the prizes move up very quickly the closer you get to heads up. I dont recomend blinding yourself out waiting for a good hand but some people will do that just to move up in the prizes. I really dont recommend playing any small pairs unless you can get in really cheap. If you just sit back and let everyone else knock ther selves out of the tournament then your just moving up in the money. Loook for a good double up hand. Like AA or KK. I usually push really hard with those hands. Because you dont really want to much action if you dont flop a set. Play premium hands and you should do well.

W

wowasenotrusov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
eventually going to win anyway so do not be depressed

9betterluck9

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sounds like everyone is severely short stack at these final tables. It really becomes a flip fest at the end when the structures are like this. If you are getting down there that often and making a lot of final tables, then it is just a matter of time before you break through. Look into ICM, and maybe a shove/fold chart. But it just comes down to some luck, winning some flips, and some well timed aggression/folds. Sounds easy enough. lol

jus7_play3r

jus7_play3r

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have to play calmly and in a convenient moment to make beats, this is the game! :)

B

boomeranged

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think your journey to winning the final table starts somewhere before the bubble play begins in MTT's. Stay safe and play super tight aggressive before that, play loose aggressive when people start sniffinf money finishes and start accumulating chips. You chances of winning an MTT will obviously be higher if you have more chips. There's a lot of risk in reaching the final table with not having one of the best stacks there, rather start increasing your stack size before you reach there by frequently stealing blinds and antes with minimum risks. Keep you aggressive helmet on and show all the moves that you can think of. Reraise when not connected and shove when you have a decent hand. Remember, your objective should be to make the other person fold when you don't have a hand and shove when you have a hand. Don't call unless you have a decent holding. It's either fold, reraise or shove in the heads up. Read my threads on playing tournaments and being a 'Bully' player. Both of them might be useful for you. You reach final tables already, which is good. Winning it would be even better :)

crazyangel88

crazyangel88

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Observe your opponents and target weakness

veronica

veronica

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
do what you can!

Ronald 110

Ronald 330I do not know if waiting position , usually arrive always scratching cloths but I try to desempeñarme best, I hope a good hand and good sometimes you have to try to steal the blinds , watch carefully as they play the villains to try to make the best beneficial to each hand and to move forward in position to get to stay with the first prize.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With those stacks, its simply a fold/shove fest.

Many including me have much hard time in entering ITM. So, you should rather be happy you can enter the FT most of the time (considering its MTT).

Michael Paler

Michael Paler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been trying to get in MTTs more since I enjoy them a lot more than cash. Sadly this means a lot of freerolls at the moment since my BR isn't that big, but they get tolerable after an hour or so. I do the occasional small buyin ones too.

So I've been getting pretty decent at these and am making a good amount of final tables, but i can't seem to navigate them well.

Usual scenario is something like this. I have 3-4BB, Villains range from about 1-7BB save for a big stack that has about 11-13BB. I'm usually somewhere in the middle of the pack. Sometimes we're all about 1.5-2x as deep as that, depending on the tourney structure.

Really? What MTT has a final table where the big stack has only 11-13 bigs? 1.5-2x sounds silly - you are almost forced all in after one round at the most.

Are you sure about these numbers? It just sounds very odd.

N

nygmen2007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In terms of playing at the final table it is great just to make it, but in order to maximize justhave to playbased on your stack, and pick your spots of shoving, depending on your table image, and the image of the players you are trying to steal from.. I am usually the first one out on final table or win it, because I play to win.... Everyone has their own style though...