Final table mistake that I do not understand

R

Raibik13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We are in the final table. Hero comes in with the chip leader. The blinds were 4000 and 8000. They pay top 6 and we were 8 handed.

Villain (MP)(130,000 in chips): Ad 10c
Hero (Hijack)(250,000 in chips): Q9C

Villain, limped in with 8000.
Hero Raise to 18000. Villain call.

Flop: 4c 5s 7h

Villain check,Hero check.

Turn a 7, Villain check, Hero bet 25,000, Villain call.

River Ah, Villain check, Hero put him all in.

Villain call with Ad10h.

What is he calling on the turn with? Is he a fish? Did i make the wrong move at wrong time?

My explanation: I put in the low pockets and i wanted to represent the Ace on the river. I didnt put him on a Ace because he wouldnt call the turn bet with Ace high.

I am so confused how he do that and why?

Mordecoke

Mordecoke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes people will call a paired board with ace high. You both checked the flop which means that it probably didn't hit any of you. The turn came a inconsequential 7. You made a delayed c bet which means you probably are bluffing.

I would just always c bet after the flop. You represented a strong hand before the flop with a 3-bet and you should continue telling that story.

Carl Trooper

Carl Trooper

Degenerate Idiot
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes people will call a paired board with ace high. You both checked the flop which means that it probably didn't hit any of you. The turn came a inconsequential 7. You made a delayed c bet which means you probably are bluffing.

I would just always c bet after the flop. You represented a strong hand before the flop with a 3-bet and you should continue telling that story.

Yeh pretty much this. He might think you could have a medium pocket pair and he has 2 overs. If he connects (like he did) he could win the pot or bluff when you check with air and he can rep a hand.

suby_rafael

suby_rafael

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely needed a continuation bet on the flop there since you 3bet pre flop.
Therefore i wouldn't necessarily say that a delayed c-bet was a mistake but if villain calls you on the turn and when the ace hits the river, you should not have gone all in.

Therefore you made two big errors -
1. Did not bet the flop after representing a big hand pre flop.
2. Bluffed the river at that spot.

Rattletrap

Rattletrap

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He didn't 3bet preflop, he raised a limper.

After the check check on the flop it's reasonable villain called the turn stab as there are a few worse A highs and a range of K and Q highs in your range (which should be obvious if you are raising Q9). Think about what checks flop? Mostly wiffs with some showdown value (A high and strong K high) a few monsters (sets, maybe AA, KK), and a bunch of hands that are just giving up (you). That makes the turn call easier for A high and the river a sigh call because you are repping a big Ace.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Definitely needed a continuation bet on the flop there since you 3bet pre flop.
Therefore i wouldn't necessarily say that a delayed c-bet was a mistake but if villain calls you on the turn and when the ace hits the river, you should not have gone all in.

Therefore you made two big errors -
1. Did not bet the flop after representing a big hand pre flop.
2. Bluffed the river at that spot.

I agree here, not betting the flop was looking to try steal the pot on later street.

T

ThePizzaman

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think not betting the turn was your mistake your hand lost all value when you did so.

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your line in this handed didn't make any sense at all. I reckon he floated the turn with AT thinking there was a chance it was the best hand. In the future if you are going to iso-raise a limper, be sure to cbet the flop! Otherwise there really is no point in iso raising. His river call was pretty standard as AT is likely the best hand there.

J

jackflash

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
waste of time barrelling on that board , the guy kept check calling you ,did you not feel at any point that he may have had you beat , nothing wrong with the aggression but you are best bcking up that aggression with a little equity ,i mean if you have nothing and you keep firing bets which he keeps calling maybe its not a good place to be stacking off huh ? just my opinion ,i see this attitude aa lot , not everyone will be scared of your aggressive bets and theyll flat you ,leaving you not knowing where you are , shoving right then isnt ev positive i imagine

L

Lekoo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unfortunately you made a mistake.
After missing the conti-bet you and get called on the turn you should not have bluffed on the river with All in. Just give up the hand.
The worst way to lose your chips on final table is with bluff. You will be "cursing" yourself for that bad move.

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
You need to cbet the flop as you were the one showing aggression.

J

Jpetro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have done the same as he did (except I would have raised preflop). You check the flop telling him you probably missed. You bet the turn which just really doesn't change much. You didn't say the suit of the turn card, if it made a backdoor flush draw there is more reason to call. Then you bet 87k into 98k which is a big bet but the line is so strange. If you made more of a value bet (like 36k) I would be less inclined to call personally.

TheBigFinn

TheBigFinn

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your line in this handed didn't make any sense at all. I reckon he floated the turn with AT thinking there was a chance it was the best hand. In the future if you are going to iso-raise a limper, be sure to cbet the flop! Otherwise there really is no point in iso raising. His river call was pretty standard as AT is likely the best hand there.

I agree completely. You not betting the flop exposed your hand as weak. The 7 pairing the board could not have helped. How can you have a 7 in your hand? if you had 77 you would have c-bet. what's left A7? Unlikely considering the betting.

The hand demonstrates the problem of playing out of position. He floats and then reevaluates on the river.

G

guutox

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't play afraid, but call without cards is stupid.

M

matiusaa

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think he did it right. It was obvios you had nothing

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you often bluffing with air sooner or later other player will caught up with your style and wont let go any holding of Ax.

stevenright

stevenright

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just c-bet that flop, man. if you showed aggressiveness pre-flop, why wouldnt you continue it? You called him a fish, but i think he might have just gone fishing with you.

Were you raising pre-flop with a marginal hand without any plan? were you just waiting for you dream flop to hit your hand to continue betting?

you might be want to think what will you do if the flop doesnt hit you before you make those raises

Everybodylovesdeuces

Everybodylovesdeuces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll agree with everyone that your big mistake not betting the flop. Think about what you're representing. If you have any 4, 5 or 7 you're definitely betting that flop. Same with any draw or any overpair and you're probably C-betting AK and AQ as well. Since you don't bet where does that put your range? You either have a set or a huge pair like KK or AA (which is unlikely given he has an A). That's 5 hands. Or you have a lot of two big card combos or a little A that whiffed. Once the 7 hits it's hard to rep the 7 or the 4 or 5 given your betting pattern on the flop. I would call w AT here as well. It's often likely to be the best hand. Once the A hits the river why are you jamming in pos? Can't you put in a bet and fold when he jams? 50k does the same thing 100k does and you only loose half of it.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's not a sin to double barrel with Q9s in position on a board like this. But if you're going to do that, you should be betting the flop and betting the turn and giving up on the river.

Most likely, I would Cbet this flop and then give up unless I picked up a flush draw on the turn.

I also agree with everybodylovesdeuces that if you're going to bluff this river, in position, then 50k accomplishes the same thing as 100k. it's NEVER hard to fold if you get raised, right? so at the very least after your river bluff failed you would have saved yourself a few chips.

Also, I think usually a smaller bet looks stronger. jamming the river LOOKS like you're trying to buy the pot....betting something like 40-50% of the pot looks like a value bet and so while he is never going to lay down any ace to your river bet, he COULD conceivably lay down a hand like 56 with a pair and missed straight draw, or he could lay down a hand like 22 33 or 66. And if he just has a high card/missed draw type of hand then a minimum bet would actually buy you the pot.

Always remember that chips saved are just as good as chips won.

D

drugsterr

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
he saw the Ace and he couldn/t fold it on the river,.,...i think u must bet more on the turn

LuckyBundy13

LuckyBundy13

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OP, I think the question is, what are you trying to rep on the turn that you didn't on the flop?

romych007

romych007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that some of your actions were wrong pre-flop