End of a tourny everyone is a short stack

M

miko122

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was just wondering what the strategy or if its just shove and hope at this time. I was playing in a tournament last night only started with 5k in chips 15 min levels so it got up there quickly. We got to the final 8 I think i had the big stack at around 70-80k and everyone else between 20-50k and the blinds were at 6/12,000 2000 ante. It was just insane. I found myself just shoving any ace, pair or k/q high on button and to what i thought was insane was people were trying to limp and play hands at this level. Worked out for me though because people were afraid to go out so i shove k5 on button and they fold a3 in big blind with only like 3 bb left. So i built up a big lead and and everyone eventually had to go all in with garbage hands. But yeah is it just what im saying shove anything that looks decent or is there any kindof strategy this late

D

DrSparky

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm only a beginner but that sounds a nice position to be in!

Looking at your numbers I'm not sure it had come down to shove/fold for everyone if the blinds were 12k and some people had >24k (20BB). In my limited experience I've read that shove/fold usually happens when you get to around 10BB...

I'm not sure what the correct strategy would be in that spot, but it makes me think about tightening up my starting hand requirements and loosening my perceived ranges on my opponents... However, if you've got a read that the table is tight I'm guessing a bit of loose play can't be criticized!

DaReKa

DaReKa

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm only a beginner but that sounds a nice position to be in!

Looking at your numbers I'm not sure it had come down to shove/fold for everyone if the blinds were 12k and some people had >24k (20BB). In my limited experience I've read that shove/fold usually happens when you get to around 10BB...

I'm not sure what the correct strategy would be in that spot, but it makes me think about tightening up my starting hand requirements and loosening my perceived ranges on my opponents... However, if you've got a read that the table is tight I'm guessing a bit of loose play can't be criticized!

You sure about your math there?

D

DrSparky

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh dear .... you're right of course.... 10BB would be 120k... stupid mistake!

So I suppose it is shove fold time.... in which case I will bow out to the wealth of experience on this site as I have next to no experience of playing that short - I usually end up shoving as the short stack with 10BB into bigger stacks than me...

Apologies to all for my math error...

steveiam

steveiam

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think when you get to the late stages the blinds are so high it tends to be a shove or fold stratergy.Raising tends to commit you to the pot anyway..

Karkus77

Karkus77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yup just shove just like you did, the people limping are just bad , punish them! :)

DaReKa

DaReKa

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh dear .... you're right of course.... 10BB would be 120k... stupid mistake!

So I suppose it is shove fold time.... in which case I will bow out to the wealth of experience on this site as I have next to no experience of playing that short - I usually end up shoving as the short stack with 10BB into bigger stacks than me...

Apologies to all for my math error...

Haha, no worries, I make careless mistakes like that all the time. This morning I had to add 71 and 48; I said to myself "Ok, 70 + 40 = 110. 1 + 8 = 9. 109." Epic math fail >.< I didn't realize what I did until after I cooked my lunch and it looked like less food than usual

P

PrsHarlequin

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
5k in chips 15 min levels so it got up there quickly.

In all my humble experience, this sounds as more deep ish, slow format....

But however if you ran into crazy /late situation as described, with table or field so timid, any pairs or any two of broadways are usually good to go and bully.
However i used to play a lot of those 25$ hypers on Stars as well. There, were so many better players playing back / it would get crazy as you described rly soon.
There only way to survive was to tighten and truncate that range and play more passive since everyone is pushing anyway, there are more threeway pots with better players knowing their odds better, etc.
I found those Stars 6 maxs bad roi exactly because there were so many better players playing great tight agressive, not being afraid of bust factor at all, and i was just not in position to outplay them/ steal enough to make it profitable.
You play the games you are expecting to beat, in each and every stage of tournament.
It all depends on the field.

vinylspiros

vinylspiros

PIRANHA-------->< (((º>
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In all my humble experience, this sounds as more deep ish, slow format....

But however if you ran into crazy /late situation as described, with table or field so timid, any pairs or any two of broadways are usually good to go and bully.
However i used to play a lot of those 25$ hypers on Stars as well. There, were so many better players playing back / it would get crazy as you described rly soon.
There only way to survive was to tighten and truncate that range and play more passive since everyone is pushing anyway, there are more threeway pots with better players knowing their odds better, etc.
I found those Stars 6 maxs bad roi exactly because there were so many better players playing great tight agressive, not being afraid of bust factor at all, and i was just not in position to outplay them/ steal enough to make it profitable.
You play the games you are expecting to beat, in each and every stage of tournament.
It all depends on the field.
highlighted above^^^^ this is what i was thinking. lol. the math doesnt add up much with those numbers. how many people were in the tourney? 12? lol

I

inflnlte

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Dont know what kind of tournament this was but any decent hand is a shove. People shouldnt be folding an ace with 3bbs left and not limping with less than 5bbs lol.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wherever and whenever possible be first to act.