end of tournament mistakes

Rawdeal1955

Rawdeal1955

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
End of tournament mistakes I seem to make. I'll shove all in with a top pair trying to keep ace rag from calling. Of coarse I get the call from a player with a few more chips than me. First it is late in the tournament is it my mistake or his or hers. To risk it all on a bad call is a mistake and I'm at my wits end how often they make they make their mistake or I make mine.

suby_rafael

suby_rafael

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Will need more information to answer your question .. your question is pretty vague.

How did the action pan out for instance and when did you shove with top pair - the flop, turn or river ??, What was the board texture ??, What was the pot size and relative chip stacks when you you shoved ??

So a lot of these info is missing .... :vollkomme

Michael Paler

Michael Paler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
End of tournament mistakes I seem to make. I'll shove all in with a top pair trying to keep ace rag from calling. Of coarse I get the call from a player with a few more chips than me. First it is late in the tournament is it my mistake or his or hers. To risk it all on a bad call is a mistake and I'm at my wits end how often they make they make their mistake or I make mine.

Ok, absent more information as suby above stated....why would you risk your game life "trying" to get someone off a draw? He might have thought (due to action in this particular hand) you were bluffing. Ever think of that?

Late in an MTT you should be opening up your game a bit, but what do you do (or not do) early in an MTT? Take big risks in marginal spots. And boy-howdy, shoving a flop with a weak one pair (top with top kicker or not) is about as marginal as you can get next to calling with X-high only - as your opponent did. You want to bet (up to all-in) for a reason. Keeping someone from sucking out (which is not preventing them from drawing to a better hand) is the wrong reason. You have a set and want to prevent a flush draw, that's one thing. But going to war with only top pair - top pair so far - no.

Remember this as well - what you put in preflop is only the start. You have to think of the bets on other streets as well. If you cannot give them bad odds so they fold (sounds like this guy was a calling station with any ace - see em all the time), IOW, you already know they will not fold to a cbet...then you check! Top pair heads up is a monster, but if you know they can call and hit better, you have to be careful. What I am talking about is pot control - and you need to learn about it to prevent these all-ins in marginal situations.

Don't get me wrong - top pair heads up with another player is great, just not the winning hand yet. No point in shoving if you cannot afford it when your opponent sucks out to a higher pair.

joker131

joker131

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
steeling with a large stack and shoving in poistion with premium hands at the end off tornys pre flop. never to stop the ace rags. at the end off a torny u should now some aspects off the play off say the last 6 or 7 players, to make good plays

H

HelioCastTCG

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Pot control is one of the best things I ever did learn. Look up some articles on the subject, it will open your eyes to maintaining your stack with decent holdings and getting to the flop as cheaply as possible with showdown value.

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Avoid any confrontation with the loose and overwhelming chipleader if you are not confident about your hand.

deluns28

deluns28

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have medium to low stacks, find the spots where you can steal the blinds from the tight players without further actions. Dont risk your all your chips if you know that the opponent will call based from his image or have a deep stack unless you really have a good hand. I assume that its like an 8-high flop which your opponent called since he had you covered. He most likely thought that you missed the flop and his A-high is still good.

Mordecoke

Mordecoke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've learned that it's sometimes best not to shove after you hit top pair.
You will get mixed opinions on this.
It also looks like you need to give an example on this to get a better answer.

H

heavystack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you are going to shove you need to be in good position with all or almost all folded to you.. for instance you are dealer, all have folded before you if you shove you only have to worry about 2 people calling.. Where as if you are out of position and you shove then you have 8 or 9 possible players who may call.. note you really dont want the call before the flop...

D

DrHorrible

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Late in games, most people either get too aggressive or too passive. Both are bad. This is the time when it is most important to have a good read before you act....

Meaning position is everything.

romych007

romych007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I THINK THAT IT IS THE NUMBER OF ITEMS SO on the button with the hand will be fine And the blinds would be a mistake

1blanqueanu1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it is important not to confront the chip leader if we are with short stack. If we like we can stack plus 3 bet with position depending on the stacks who are from behind.
It is very air he said. The final stage of the tournament is the hardest to play