Early Stages for PLO and PL8 MTT

Roozo

Roozo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys, I've been playing a few more plo and pl8 tournaments recently and still a little clueless on how I should approach early stages. Atm im playing mainly premium hands unless I'm getting ridiculous pot odds in position.

When I do get premium hands in PLO (Micro PLO MTT's are pretty loose in early stages) I tend to build up a big pot pre-flop and a lot of the time theres usually at least 2 other players and im usually in spots where theres a big pot and on the flop I have just an overpair which is extremely face-up and usually I try to pot control, generally giving up to strength. Should I stop doing this and play more smaller pots with marginal hands and play more of a "nut-pedalling" style until blinds increase. Would it be a good idea to play AAxx and KKxx passively pre and basicaly just set mine which would be very disguised. These are the questions I always ask myself and cant find an answer to.

Now, the PL8 MTT early stages are extremely loose and I find myself folding for the first hour waiting for A2xx hands and usually just splitting a pot most of the time which leads me to waiting for the blinds to increase leaving me to basically get it in and pray. The biggest problem with this game is I dont know how to build a big stack in the early stages. Should I be nut pedalling or is that too spewy for PL8, Omaha hi/lo is my worst game out of any variant and am struggling to improve in this game in particular.

Sorry if I'm sounding a little fishy in this post but it would be great to get feedback on my thoughts and questions. I'm striving to become as equally confident in my PLO and PL8 game as my NLHE. Thanks in advance.

A

aznman08

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Something to remember in PLO is that you are trying to make the nuts. Hand strength is based on how much equity you have on your draws/redraws. Having suited aces helps in that it helps to take down the pot.

Similarly, in PLO8 Having A-2/A-3 suited helps you to scoop. Having 3 low cards less than 5 with an A definitely helps.

goaldriversv

goaldriversv

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i'm not the best person to listen to, but i'll provide my two cents. i usually wait until about 5 min to register for plo and plo hi/lo so i always grind to get in the money. that said, in early stages, i'd play a lot looser than waiting for premium hands. esp at $1-2 mtt level, there are so many idiots that will call with anything just to see the flop and/or chase that you can't just wait for premium hands. now that i think about it even more, this is the case at every level of these mtts. idiots all the time.