Early Game for MTT

deluns28

deluns28

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello guys.. what would be the optimal strategy for early game MTT. If I play tight, I always ran out of stacks. I tried raising in position but most of the time but it seems that too many are callers/shovers during this time. Should I insta shove the top 10% hole cards preflop?

eidikos

eidikos

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi! I think its the worst strategy to shove preflop and expect to be lucky every time.that is not poker.try to play more hands early in the mtt,like connectors or limp with small pocket pairs

L

Lekoo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play few hands but play them aggressively. When you have Aces dont be afraid to bet. You dont want with your top set to collect only few blinds. You can shove with QQ+ and/or AK if you want flips.

deluns28

deluns28

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
eidi2440575 said:
hi! I think its the worst strategy to shove preflop and expect to be lucky every time.that is not poker.try to play more hands early in the mtt,like connectors or limp with small pocket pairs

Thanks for your reply.
I noticed that if I play connectors and small pocket pairs, I will be pot committed since the stack is small. That is why I think its dangerous. To clarify, should I play connectors and small pockets if the pot is not raised?

deluns28

deluns28

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play few hands but play them aggressively. When you have Aces dont be afraid to bet. You dont want with your top set to collect only few blinds. You can shove with QQ+ and/or AK if you want flips.

Thanks for your advice.
Personally, I dont want flips on early game but if my premiums will not be paid earlier, I will beshoving with lower range during mid game.

A

AviCKter

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends a lot on the tourney you're playing, turbo, hyper turbo, microstakes etc. It would be good to get some more info before making any comment on the style of play.

deluns28

deluns28

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im playing the big 5.50 at stars.. yes you are right. I can play with pairs and connectors.

Mordecoke

Mordecoke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You shouldn't really be playing connectors with a starting stack.
The value is really small for marginal hands like 78 suited 910 suited pocket 2's
You should only really be playing those types of hands when you have a big stack that is fairly larger than the rest of the table.

If you find yourself card dead, try seeing how people play (aggressive, passive, Mixed) and take advantage of them this way.

If you see a guy constantly 3-bet 4-bet other players, play only good hands with him etc.

Good luck next time. practice makes perfect. Also, as a poker player nothing is always guaranteed. Even with pocket aces you will lose only about 20% of the time. Again good luck out their.

A

AviCKter

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play tight and aggressive, that's a good way to go.
Small pair, suited connector :- Position, and without risking too much chip (like 3-5% of effective stack). Remember position is priority.
Like, if someone (say MP1) made it 2.5 to go and I'm behind him, I might call with something like T9s and see the flop and take it from there.

deluns28

deluns28

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you you the responses. I noticed that sometimes if you played it right with premium hands, you will have coolers which will break your heart. Well thats part of the game.

Katyushka4

Katyushka4

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello guys.. what would be the optimal strategy for early game MTT. If I play tight, I always ran out of stacks. I tried raising in position but most of the time but it seems that too many are callers/shovers during this time. Should I insta shove the top 10% hole cards preflop?

Play with the fish.
These players to easily identify their chips will slowly leak out at an early stage, and you, of course, you need to use it.
Coward player.
You need to find someone who will respect your aggression. This is a weak player. Someone who is waiting for a good hand, a monster on the flop and hope that someone so stupid that he would remain in the hand, when they finally start to bet and raise. Familiar? You need to find a player and punish him. The easiest option - raise everything and steal his blinds. But once this is over and the player himself is aware of the weak and try to stop your head. The best option would be to stop, calm down for a short while, and continue. Continue to put pressure on them until it works.

deluns28

deluns28

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play with the fish.
These players to easily identify their chips will slowly leak out at an early stage, and you, of course, you need to use it.
Coward player.
You need to find someone who will respect your aggression. This is a weak player. Someone who is waiting for a good hand, a monster on the flop and hope that someone so stupid that he would remain in the hand, when they finally start to bet and raise. Familiar? You need to find a player and punish him. The easiest option - raise everything and steal his blinds. But once this is over and the player himself is aware of the weak and try to stop your head. The best option would be to stop, calm down for a short while, and continue. Continue to put pressure on them until it works.

Hello. Thank you for your advice. I seems to do this but not just 1 player. I always check if I can exploit the 2 players before me or the 2 players after me. Sometimes I exploit 3 players before and after me. My aggression will depend on the position of the button and what players are exploitable.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think for people starting out playing a tight approach is always best. You make post flop decisions much easier with a stronger range of hands you're playing.

I think the better you become though you can start opening wider in certain positions and playing post flop especially if in position vs playing you feel you have an edge on. The only time and reason for doing that is when the players are terrible and our objective in MTT is chip accumulation. We want to take the bad players chips before the better players take them. For me personally when there are bad players who call to much or raise to much, I tend to call pretty wide and try gain an edge post flop.

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play only 10% range hands this 66+, A9s+ , AJo+, KTs+ , QTs+ , JT ,
Some time you can limp low pairs and suited connecters , if no raise in pot..

deluns28

deluns28

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play only 10% range hands this 66+, A9s+ , AJo+, KTs+ , QTs+ , JT ,
Some time you can limp low pairs and suited connecters , if no raise in pot..

Hello. Thanks for your advice.

I assume I should raise preflop in this range when entering a pot? What if you are reraised or was put all in? insta-fold?

Question:

What is the the correct all-in preflop range in early game? AA, KK, QQ, AK? Anything lower than that should be folded in an all-in preflop battle during early game?

Top 10 Games